Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coaches- take a page from hockey's book.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    This. D's team has 22 rostered. Only 18 can dress for games so 4 will be sitting. You know unless a starter misses a game that they aren't sitting out, so there is a good chance that the bottom 8 or 9 will absorb most of those missed games.

It sucks, but nothing to be done for it now. Committed for the year, paid, and we're done with the club hopping.
    If this has been an ongoing thing perhaps you are asking your kid to fight above her class?

Comment

Must not be in DA because they have more restrictive sub rules, which means even those who dress may not play.

In HS 18 is workable, but as many have said it's very tough to find a quality team that sticks to that number. Even if the club tells you they will, they won't. While it's irksome as a paying customer and it's hard to watch some poor kids sit week after, it's also important to learn PT is earned. If you really want to play in college there will be at least 24 players, often times up to 30, all fighting for PT. The coach has no obligation to give you any PT at all. If your player doesn't deal well with sitting you better help steer them to programs where they're more likely to be starters.
      My experience is that HS needs 20-22. You can all bark at me, and of course your logic will be sound. Even on top ECNL team injuries happen, some play other sports, and conflicts arise. Its just not a problem as long as A) players are good enough and b) coach subs fairly and consistently.

Comment

My experience is that HS needs 20-22. You can all bark at me, and of course your logic will be sound. Even on top ECNL team injuries happen, some play other sports, and conflicts arise. Its just not a problem as long as A) players are good enough and b) coach subs fairly and consistently.
        OP here - yes sometimes teams get very unlucky with injuries and school visits and test Saturdays can be a challenge for certain age groups. Absolutely coaches/clubs can manage such rosters if they want to (with the exception of DA where subs are more restricted) but going over 20 gets challenging, over 22 is just too much. Some ECNL clubs are using the composite teams to rotate players and give them PT. Showcases absolutely better be good PT. It's not at all hard to make sure the entire roster gets half a game per game at showcases. If your club isn't doing that you're at the wrong club. If you're thinking about a team that already has a large roster, try to talk to families on the team already to make sure they're satisfied with PT.

Comment

Soccer forum only.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          Working...
          X