Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New England Doesn't Know Football/Soccer

No one in New England seems to know anything about football/soccer.

For boys:
    If you're not on the Blazers, MPS Bulldogs, Bolts DAP or Revolution Academy you're "probably" not going to play division 1 soccer or even top division 3 soccer. Again, I say probably because there are always exceptions but it's very unlikely to land a D1 roster spot while playing on a team other than the ones listed.

Maple and NEP both equally suck in terms of quality of coaching, quality of fields and value of your dollar. Stop arguing which is better because if you can't make the roster for the above teams, you're pretty much part of the large majority of youth male soccer players who are playing soccer for FUN. Maybe you'll get a couple of letters from really bad D3 programs who you have no interest in academically.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

For boys:
    If you're not on the Blazers, MPS Bulldogs, Bolts DAP or Revolution Academy you're "probably" not going to play division 1 soccer or even top division 3 soccer. Again, I say probably because there are always exceptions but it's very unlikely to land a D1 roster spot while playing on a team other than the ones listed.

Maple and NEP both equally suck in terms of quality of coaching, quality of fields and value of your dollar. Stop arguing which is better because if you can't make the roster for the above teams, you're pretty much part of the large majority of youth male soccer players who are playing soccer for FUN. Maybe you'll get a couple of letters from really bad D3 programs who you have no interest in academically.
    The point of this thread is what?

And what is connection between New England not knowing football/soccer and the thesis about who will get to play in college?

Comment

The whole Maple vs NEP thread seems very pointless to me. 95% of the players are just playing soccer for fun like you said so I don't understand why the whole debate. Whether they KNOW their son is playing for fun or not is besides the point

Comment

For boys:

Are toe in New England because you certainly seem to have it all figured out!

Comment

and even the players playing at the highest youth level in New England end up going to D3 colleges anyways

Comment

and even the players playing at the highest youth level in New England end up going to D3 colleges anyways
            No they don't. 80% of Rev's and Bolts go D1. Go back to your six pack

Comment

Wow! I didn't realize it was so bad. Thanks for the information. Takes a lot of courage to come on here and speak the truth knowing you will have your detractors. Where are you from? What area is the best to get the training needed to play DI ? My son is 14, and started playing last year, and loves loves loves the game. We are willing to get him the training for a DI school, so he can get a scholarship. He will be the first in our family to go to college. Do you offer your services to players trying to play soccer at a DI college?

Comment

Wow! I didn't realize it was so bad. Thanks for the information. Takes a lot of courage to come on here and speak the truth knowing you will have your detractors. Where are you from? What area is the best to get the training needed to play DI ? My son is 14, and started playing last year, and loves loves loves the game. We are willing to get him the training for a DI school, so he can get a scholarship. He will be the first in our family to go to college. Do you offer your services to players trying to play soccer at a DI college?
                Good one! This is either the dumbest parent on the planet or the most bogus post in the last 5 years.

Comment

For boys:

Who deflated your balls

Comment

OP here. I hint some sarcasm in your post but if you're serious I suggest letting your son tryout for some of the teams I've posted in the starting post. Does he really like soccer? If he shows potential of playing for a division 1 school, it's good to start early and freshman year of high school is a good starting point.

Revolution Academy: If your son is good enough, he will make the team. Everything is free for players who are accepted into the academy. Probably produces the best players in our area so if you're good enough, this is your best bet at a shot at a roster spot on a D1 college team. Many college showcases with DAP sanctioned games. This is the hotbed of college recruiting. Tryouts are held in the summer if I recall correctly.

MPS Bulldogs: Good coaches for highschool-aged players and year around training. Good placement into top academic colleges with good soccer programs. Tryouts are also held during the summer, but MPS allows some players on the radar to come and train with the team for a practice to see how they can play.

Blazers: I've been close to the Blazers and they have a great coaching system which may be a turn off for a lot of players. The coaches have a no nonesense mentality and if you're son is disciplined, he will progress tremendously as a player on the Blazers. Again, the coaching staff for the Blazers will not be for everyone. Tryouts are in the summer and tryouts for Blazers requires more fitness and cardio than Revolution or Bulldogs so if your son is trying out for the Blazers, make sure he's conditioned. Coaches love the beep test here.

Bolts: Another top team that competes in the DAP. Watch out, they'll hold tryouts but very few make the actual Academy team. Most players will be given spots on their showcase and premier team but those are just revenue-making teams, pretty much a glorified Maple town team. They don't play at the highest level nor do they get any exceptional coaching and they play against very low-level opponents. Don't play for the Bolts if it isn't the DAP team. Trust me on this one.

The rest of the clubs are just that, they're money-grabbers. If you don't play for these teams, just keep in mind that you're not competing at the highest level of soccer in New England and that college exposure will won't be as high. You're mainly playing for FUN or for the occasional D3 college coach that passes by. But these D3 schools won't have anything academically to offer.

Comment

For boys:

So what is it you are complaining about? The first part of your post is the lack of soccer knowledge. Well that's true just about any where in the US. NE is no better or worse. Yes many people play soccer for fun. Soccer isn't in the top 3 of sports that get all the attention and money. But there's millions of kids that play those sports for fun too.

The majority of your post is a rant about the lack of soccer development and the pay-to-play system. Other youth sports have also evolved into rackets but yes soccer might be the worst. Football and basketball HS athletes probably have more opportunities to be seen by college coaches; soccer is much more about club play.

Unfortunately there isn't much an individual can do about both. The best you can do is find the right place for your children to play that works for them. Even better, get involved at the grassroots level to improve your local club or other organizations to raise the bar.

Comment

OP here. I hint some sarcasm in your post but if you're serious I suggest letting your son tryout for some of the teams I've posted in the starting post. Does he really like soccer? If he shows potential of playing for a division 1 school, it's good to start early and freshman year of high school is a good starting point.

Revolution Academy: If your son is good enough, he will make the team. Everything is free for players who are accepted into the academy. Probably produces the best players in our area so if you're good enough, this is your best bet at a shot at a roster spot on a D1 college team. Many college showcases with DAP sanctioned games. This is the hotbed of college recruiting. Tryouts are held in the summer if I recall correctly.

MPS Bulldogs: Good coaches for highschool-aged players and year around training. Good placement into top academic colleges with good soccer programs. Tryouts are also held during the summer, but MPS allows some players on the radar to come and train with the team for a practice to see how they can play.

Blazers: I've been close to the Blazers and they have a great coaching system which may be a turn off for a lot of players. The coaches have a no nonesense mentality and if you're son is disciplined, he will progress tremendously as a player on the Blazers. Again, the coaching staff for the Blazers will not be for everyone. Tryouts are in the summer and tryouts for Blazers requires more fitness and cardio than Revolution or Bulldogs so if your son is trying out for the Blazers, make sure he's conditioned. Coaches love the beep test here.

Bolts: Another top team that competes in the DAP. Watch out, they'll hold tryouts but very few make the actual Academy team. Most players will be given spots on their showcase and premier team but those are just revenue-making teams, pretty much a glorified Maple town team. They don't play at the highest level nor do they get any exceptional coaching and they play against very low-level opponents. Don't play for the Bolts if it isn't the DAP team. Trust me on this one.

The rest of the clubs are just that, they're money-grabbers. If you don't play for these teams, just keep in mind that you're not competing at the highest level of soccer in New England and that college exposure will won't be as high. You're mainly playing for FUN or for the occasional D3 college coach that passes by. But these D3 schools won't have anything academically to offer.
                        If you were half as clued in as you pretend to be, you'd know that GPS has reorganized the way it assembles its teams. The top players are now on the GPS Elite teams.

Comment

If you were half as clued in as you pretend to be, you'd know that GPS has reorganized the way it assembles its teams. The top players are now on the GPS Elite teams.
                          Relax. The guy mixed one thing up, his assessment seems pretty spot on to me and seems to know what he's talking about.

Comment

"But these D3 schools won't have anything academically to offer."

Relax. The guy mixed one thing up, his assessment seems pretty spot on to me and seems to know what he's talking about.

Do you mean those academically crappy D3 schools like Babson, Bowdoin, Amherst, Brandeis, Williams?

Comment

Do you mean those academically crappy D3 schools like Babson, Bowdoin, Amherst, Brandeis, Williams?
                              But these D3 schools won't have anything academically to offer.
                              I think the poster was referring only to the D3 schools that recruit from the teams outside of the Blazers, Bolts, GPS etc.... The implication being that Amherst etc... also recruit from Botls, Revs etc.... I could be wrong though.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X