Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You win the kewpie doll prize. The NCAA could give a crap about the athletes, all they care about is the money. They are not going to do anything about recruiting simply because that would entail clamping down on all of the schools, not just the few rouges. Not going to happen. Complaining about early recruitment is a lot like complaining about taxes, no one is in favor of it, but it is a reality that just is not going away. This situation is one reason why the clubs should be held more accountable for what they are doing for the players during the recruiting years. All of the clubs now are touting a certain level of expertise when it comes to selling roster spots to the newbies either through actual sales presentations (like NEFC) or by highlighting their player successes with commitments (like the Stars) but few of them actually do a good job trying to help their players walk through the process. Especially when it comes to early recruitment.
    Sorry but I miswrote. I meant to say NCAA manages as to what is best for the NCAA. You are right - they are not really concerned about the athletes - Cujo

Comment

You win the kewpie doll prize. The NCAA could give a crap about the athletes, all they care about is the money. They are not going to do anything about recruiting simply because that would entail clamping down on all of the schools, not just the few rouges. Not going to happen. Complaining about early recruitment is a lot like complaining about taxes, no one is in favor of it, but it is a reality that just is not going away. This situation is one reason why the clubs should be held more accountable for what they are doing for the players during the recruiting years. All of the clubs now are touting a certain level of expertise when it comes to selling roster spots to the newbies either through actual sales presentations (like NEFC) or by highlighting their player successes with commitments (like the Stars) but few of them actually do a good job trying to help their players walk through the process. Especially when it comes to early recruitment.
      The parent and students should have control over the recruitment process. If you have several schools competing for your services (whether it is playing soccer or tuba) why should the advantage go to the schools? Nobodys fault other than the parents if they let their kid get played by a school. - Cujo

Comment

The parent and students should have control over the recruitment process. If you have several schools competing for your services (whether it is playing soccer or tuba) why should the advantage go to the schools? Nobodys fault other than the parents if they let their kid get played by a school. - Cujo
        Parents are

1) afraid their darling Mia will miss out on her scholarship
        2) dying to brag about Mia's early commitment and scholarship

I'm not sure which carries more weight

Comment

Did MA have a scholarship at ND?

Comment

Did MA have a scholarship at ND?
            Im sure....in a round about sort of way. That scholarship was paid for thru the early years with the individual training every day, Stars travel, etc so the net effect was probably 0. Pay then or pay now.

Comment

Im sure....in a round about sort of way. That scholarship was paid for thru the early years with the individual training every day, Stars travel, etc so the net effect was probably 0. Pay then or pay now.
              I heard she was going to join either Bayside or Bruno!

Comment

Say it's full ride or close to it (which I'd think with a high level player like that). Notre Dame tuition is in the mid $50k range per year. Did her parents pay over $200k in all those years? Of course a school like DN is also very good about merit/financial aid.

Comment

Didn't MA originally commit to BC and then backed out to go to ND? Maybe she should have stuck with her first plan. 😃 Wish her well wherever she ends up. No matter what your circumstances are (athlete, non-athlete) it isn't always easy to adjust to College. Sometimes mistakes are made. I pray my kids make good choices with Colleges and hope they adapt well... But it doesn't always work out that way.

Comment

Say it's full ride or close to it (which I'd think with a high level player like that). Notre Dame tuition is in the mid $50k range per year. Did her parents pay over $200k in all those years? Of course a school like DN is also very good about merit/financial aid.
                    Thank You for making the point about the $$$$. I get tired of hearing about how we spent so much for club soccer. We spent roughly $40 grand, which I agree is a lot of money,but it has paid off for our daughter. Her soccer scholarship more than covered our $$$'s spent in the 1st year. I also understand this is not the norm, but until you know all the facts stop about all the $$$$s.

Comment

Thank You for making the point about the $$$$. I get tired of hearing about how we spent so much for club soccer. We spent roughly $40 grand, which I agree is a lot of money,but it has paid off for our daughter. Her soccer scholarship more than covered our $$$'s spent in the 1st year. I also understand this is not the norm, but until you know all the facts stop about all the $$$$s.
                      OP here - for some the math can work, like in your case or the topic of discussion. But it doesn't always for all players. Personally my kids play because they love it. We have no grand illusions of it ever "paying back." It's our choice on where we want to spend our dollars, just as others spend it on music or traveling, etc. But you have to admit some sport-parents are driven by the illusion that their kid will get a college scholarship one day? Not just in soccer but all sports. Not all are realistic about how the process works or how talented their kids really are.

Comment

OP here - for some the math can work, like in your case or the topic of discussion. But it doesn't always for all players. Personally my kids play because they love it. We have no grand illusions of it ever "paying back." It's our choice on where we want to spend our dollars, just as others spend it on music or traveling, etc. But you have to admit some sport-parents are driven by the illusion that their kid will get a college scholarship one day? Not just in soccer but all sports. Not all are realistic about how the process works or how talented their kids really are.
                        Very very true! When my daughter started we had no idea where it would go, but we just rolled with it and had a good outcome. I just get tired of all the $$$ talk. It gets old really really fast.

Comment

Get over yourselves. You would have read the same types of comments if one of the Mewis girls had transferred. Transferring is not a positive event and with someone as well known as her that makes it news worthy. It's one of the prices of fame. As one of the most talented and newsworthy players to come out of this region (never mind just the Stars) discussing what went wrong is a natural part of this and when a club advertises their commitments like the Stars do it is natural that some of that will work it's way back to them.
                          Wow, BTDT. Hope everyone remembers this post in a few years.

Comment

If some believe the entire "environment" can be changed in time for the spring season then why is it a given that early recruiting couldn't be changed? In truth, it is the one thing that could be changed overnight. And the appeasement of early recruiting in contrast to everything else that is blasted seems, shall we say, questionable at best.

Comment

I don't remember any discussion when KM was traded for multiple players or when SM had less than stellar years (she had a great senior year -kudos!) So there do seem to be selective attacks. BTDTs older daughter transferred so I wouldn't attribute these transfer posts to him as he has BTDT.

Comment

Can't say anything about what the Andrews spent versus what they got but in our case the numbers more than worked out in our favor. At today's tuitions it only takes about 25% to break even as some would call it. On the girl's side the average scholarship is between 50-75% so most could be comfortably in the black if they choose to play the game.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X