Changes at Aztecs - GC in, DS out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm always struck by how much venom there is in so many of these posts.

I would think it's at least pretty plausible that the situation is just what the announcement said- DS wants to spend more time with his family and pursue a career in education. Perfect would be to pick up a college job and get a free graduate degree as part of the package. Or maybe just stick with his current school coaching gig and get a teaching job. It's basically what MK did, so not so surprising that his DOC would do the same.

This jumping to another club and taking lots of players seems far-fetched. Given the geographics, there just isn't much competition. Maybe he goes to Stars North as people suggest but hard to believe that's going to better his life in any measurable way (unless one likes demotions). The fact is that the north shore has little field space and it's tough to travel elsewhere from many locations, so the competition is not formidable. Sure, some will sit on 128 trying to get Stars/NEFC, etc. training, but not most people.

All that being said, 2 of MK's 4 guys who built the club with him are now gone (one assumes DS will drop his one remaining Aztec team if he lands whatever his next gig is). Still a remarkably stable core group over the years compared with most clubs.

I would imagine that running the business side of one of these clubs must be little fun, particularly if every day is a struggle for field space. If the DOC has to deal with that, and deal with parents, who would want that job? On the other hand, if it's just soccer, then it sounds fun to me.

But not sure where all the venom comes from- it's just kids playing soccer.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I'm always struck by how much venom there is in so many of these posts.

I would think it's at least pretty plausible that the situation is just what the announcement said- DS wants to spend more time with his family and pursue a career in education. Perfect would be to pick up a college job and get a free graduate degree as part of the package. Or maybe just stick with his current school coaching gig and get a teaching job. It's basically what MK did, so not so surprising that his DOC would do the same.

This jumping to another club and taking lots of players seems far-fetched. Given the geographics, there just isn't much competition. Maybe he goes to Stars North as people suggest but hard to believe that's going to better his life in any measurable way (unless one likes demotions). The fact is that the north shore has little field space and it's tough to travel elsewhere from many locations, so the competition is not formidable. Sure, some will sit on 128 trying to get Stars/NEFC, etc. training, but not most people.

All that being said, 2 of MK's 4 guys who built the club with him are now gone (one assumes DS will drop his one remaining Aztec team if he lands whatever his next gig is). Still a remarkably stable core group over the years compared with most clubs.

I would imagine that running the business side of one of these clubs must be little fun, particularly if every day is a struggle for field space. If the DOC has to deal with that, and deal with parents, who would want that job? On the other hand, if it's just soccer, then it sounds fun to me.

But not sure where all the venom comes from- it's just kids playing soccer.

What venom? Just general commentary. This club charges people a lot of money and deliver little. Because there's limited competition in the area they don't have to work that hard. MK is too removed from the day to day of the club and it's catching up. The field issue is a problem. Plenty of fields in the area that Aztec could secure but they don't/can't get them. Maybe their past field issue reputation (i.e. Amesbury) precedes them.

Comment

What venom? Just general commentary. This club charges people a lot of money and deliver little. Because there's limited competition in the area they don't have to work that hard. MK is too removed from the day to day of the club and it's catching up. The field issue is a problem. Plenty of fields in the area that Aztec could secure but they don't/can't get them. Maybe their past field issue reputation (i.e. Amesbury) precedes them.
        Hmmm, you seem like you have a lot of knowledge about the Aztec. Maybe the dad that left and went to North Shore than came crawling back?

Comment

Classic. Rather than address Aztec's ongoing issues, you personalize and poke holes in legitimate commentary. Here's the thing: GC has done more in the short time that he's been with the club than the existing management has in years. He has playing experience, coaching experience AND organizational experience. Yes, Aztec has always had some terrific coaches, but they've been sorely lacking on the business end. Putting GC in charge is a first step in the right direction and leaves a lot of us on the north shore optimistic about the future of the club. Finally.

Comment

Classic. Rather than address Aztec's ongoing issues, you personalize and poke holes in legitimate commentary. Here's the thing: GC has done more in the short time that he's been with the club than the existing management has in years. He has playing experience, coaching experience AND organizational experience. Yes, Aztec has always had some terrific coaches, but they've been sorely lacking on the business end. Putting GC in charge is a first step in the right direction and leaves a lot of us on the north shore optimistic about the future of the club. Finally.
            Ok I'll bite. Is losing DS good for business?

Comment

Thanks Greg!

Comment

Wow, if you sneeze in the Stars or Breakers direction it is proclaimed to be a conspiracy and the whole damn site is almost gets shut down but now that Stars North exists it is time to address Aztec's "ongoing issues". That IS classic.

Comment

Ok I'll bite. Is losing DS good for business?
                  I would guess it depends on what he does from here. He's still coaching with Aztec, and by all legitimate accounts he really has stepped away from the DOC job for personal reasons. It will be interesting to see if he ends up going to another club in the future. If that happens, my gut tells me it would be a bigger competitor like NEFC, GPS or Seacoast (highly doubt Stars, not sure DS has great relations with JD or MK) and he certainly isn't going to take a sideways or backward move to a club like NSU. If he goes to another club, yes, that is bad for Aztec. But the poster who commented about venom is right. Every time a club announces a personnel move (or anything, for that matter), someone comes out of the woodwork to trash the club, to trash the coach, to trash the decision, to trash every single angle of something that happens in the real world all the time. People change jobs. This site is just a cesspool of vitriol and thinly veiled agenda. Anyone who comes to this site for legitimate conversation about soccer or to learn anything unbiased about club soccer in Mass is a loon.

Comment

I would guess it depends on what he does from here. He's still coaching with Aztec, and by all legitimate accounts he really has stepped away from the DOC job for personal reasons. It will be interesting to see if he ends up going to another club in the future. If that happens, my gut tells me it would be a bigger competitor like NEFC, GPS or Seacoast (highly doubt Stars, not sure DS has great relations with JD or MK) and he certainly isn't going to take a sideways or backward move to a club like NSU. If he goes to another club, yes, that is bad for Aztec. But the poster who commented about venom is right. Every time a club announces a personnel move (or anything, for that matter), someone comes out of the woodwork to trash the club, to trash the coach, to trash the decision, to trash every single angle of something that happens in the real world all the time. People change jobs. This site is just a cesspool of vitriol and thinly veiled agenda. Anyone who comes to this site for legitimate conversation about soccer or to learn anything unbiased about club soccer in Mass is a loon.
                    Best Post Ever! Its funny how people hide behind their posts. Maybe they should start protesting in Lancaster!

Comment

The shelf life of a DOC, in today's soccer world, isn't that long. I believe he wants to step away from the day to day responsibility. The amount of BS they have to deal with, will beat anyone up over time. Very few of the DOCs are actually able to do the job of Director of the Coaches, and bulid the curriculum, train the coaches,evaluate teams/players, facilitate movement of players up/down. They end up managing parental complaints, about playing time, other kids playing time, coaches, fees, schedules, etc... The most successful clubs seem to be able to allow the DOC to focus on the training of players, and staff. These clubs seem to also have less turnover of staff, which leads to a more consistent message. The complaints go down, and the club has success on the field. Hopefully DS isn't stepping away from the game totally, because of being burnt out. He's a good coach, and is a value to any organization.

Comment

The shelf life of a DOC, in today's soccer world, isn't that long. I believe he wants to step away from the day to day responsibility. The amount of BS they have to deal with, will beat anyone up over time. Very few of the DOCs are actually able to do the job of Director of the Coaches, and bulid the curriculum, train the coaches,evaluate teams/players, facilitate movement of players up/down. They end up managing parental complaints, about playing time, other kids playing time, coaches, fees, schedules, etc... The most successful clubs seem to be able to allow the DOC to focus on the training of players, and staff. These clubs seem to also have less turnover of staff, which leads to a more consistent message. The complaints go down, and the club has success on the field. Hopefully DS isn't stepping away from the game totally, because of being burnt out. He's a good coach, and is a value to any organization.
                        Perhaps I'm being naïve, but isn't it possible that that any DOC would take another job to change their work schedule? I have no doubt there is endless amounts of BS, as well as perhaps administrative stuff that is not what anyone would enjoy, but it also seems like lots of rational people might just want to have a regular schedule which allows them to spend more time with their family. So you get a teaching job, and a job coaching a school soccer team. You can be at home on the weekends mostly (assuming you don't take a prep or college job with weekend games), you get to watch your own kids play soccer, you get to be at home to help your kids do their homework.

Comment

GC is bringing it on the NorthShore. Shaking things up. Just get out of his way.

Comment

GC is bringing it on the NorthShore. Shaking things up. Just get out of his way.
                            Stars BS all over again.

Comment

The New Aztec with a touch of Stars. This is going to be good.

Comment

Translation

Most likely a new organized Aztec that creates big teams, player pools, and recruits like crazy to get talent for teams. Just like Stars. Dollars over development. Some good changes like uniforms, practice apparel and websites and some bad depending on your perspective and what impresses you as a consumer. This is the general path most clubs are on that are run like businesses.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X