Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking Advice: Play up with grade for High School Years?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You are thick as a brick. Kid is poor, good hockey player, got 100% financial aid. Clearly this is outside of your scope of experience. To me full ride means 100% tuition and room covered no matter what label you put on it.
    Hockey had zero to do with the financial equation. Assuming Hockey helped get him in.

I know of absolute mouth breathers who have completed their Harvard degree as an athlete. Your relative must be a real moron. The fact that he was able to flunk out of a school that is historically very, very, difficult to get kicked out speaks volumes about his lack of intelligence. They didn't even kick anyone out when they caught them cheating. They got the equivalent of an academic and athletic "time out".

Comment

OMG - why are there so many anal retentitives in here. Let me clarify the issue for you.

KID WAS GREAT ATHLETE WENT TO HARVARD FOR ZERO ****ING DOLLARS AND FLUNKED OUT!!!!

Clear enough for you?

You clearly didn't go to Harvard. Details matter, especially when re-telling urban myths.

I love correcting people when they are bragging about their nephew, niece, kid etc. regarding athletic scholarship money at places that do not offer athletic scholarship money.

Ivies and D3 do not offer athletic scholarships. Pretty simple.

They don't. That is a fact. There is no money listed as Athletic Scholarship in the Ivies or D3. This does not mean that a desired athlete won't be more likely than an average Joe or Jane to get financial assistance. They do get some preferences and that amount depends on the coach's support.
      As for the angry guy above, well, Harvard got that one wrong. What can I say. Such an athlete would not be the first to 'flunk out' and won't be the last. How many kids in that same class flunked out? Before you go and indite the entire system you might want to consider all the facts before blaming any monies tied or related to athletics.

Comment

You are thick as a brick. Kid is poor, good hockey player, got 100% financial aid. Clearly this is outside of your scope of experience. To me full ride means 100% tuition and room covered no matter what label you put on it.
        Did you write this in #60???

"100% scholarship. I have no idea whether it was academic or need based."

And please tell us how the story ended. Flunked out of Harvard and then what?

Comment

OMG - why are there so many anal retentitives in here. Let me clarify the issue for you.

KID WAS GREAT ATHLETE WENT TO HARVARD FOR ZERO ****ING DOLLARS AND FLUNKED OUT!!!!

Clear enough for you?

They don't. That is a fact. There is no money listed as Athletic Scholarship in the Ivies or D3. This does not mean that a desired athlete won't be more likely than an average Joe or Jane to get financial assistance. They do get some preferences and that amount depends on the coach's support.
          As for the angry guy above, well, Harvard got that one wrong. What can I say. Such an athlete would not be the first to 'flunk out' and won't be the last. How many kids in that same class flunked out? Before you go and indite the entire system you might want to consider all the facts before blaming any monies tied or related to athletics.
          Firs of all, it is indict not "indite". Secondly, no one was indicting anything. Simply attempting to clarify what was an incoherent and misinformed statement by someone who continually changed their story over a few pages.

Comment

Firs of all, it is indict not "indite". Secondly, no one was indicting anything. Simply attempting to clarify what was an incoherent and misinformed statement by someone who continually changed their story over a few pages.
            No. Other angry posters changed to story. First of all it was not his kid but a relative of his wife. Most of us have no idea how Harvard gives away money based on need - personally I had no idea whether they give grants, scholarships, merits, or whatever and frankly it really doesn't matter. In the end free ride is a free ride.

To me sounds like somebody is just a little ticked off because their kid didn't get into an Ivy because they seem to have a chip on their shoulder about it AND know quite a bit about what kind of money is given out.

FYI - I got "merit" money from BU but I have always referred to it as a scholarship. It was both need based but also based upon academics. In the end does any of the details really matter.

Comment

No. Other angry posters changed to story. First of all it was not his kid but a relative of his wife. Most of us have no idea how Harvard gives away money based on need - personally I had no idea whether they give grants, scholarships, merits, or whatever and frankly it really doesn't matter. In the end free ride is a free ride.

To me sounds like somebody is just a little ticked off because their kid didn't get into an Ivy because they seem to have a chip on their shoulder about it AND know quite a bit about what kind of money is given out.

FYI - I got "merit" money from BU but I have always referred to it as a scholarship. It was both need based but also based upon academics. In the end does any of the details really matter.
              Actually the kid flunked out of Harvard. What a success. Very, very jealous.

And your logic is horrible. I am done arguing with idiots. Have a nice day.

Comment

Actually the kid flunked out of Harvard. What a success. Very, very jealous.

And your logic is horrible. I am done arguing with idiots. Have a nice day.
                Actually you are arguing over a point that was clarified but you just have to get the last word in don't you?

Go back and finish reading Barron's: Planning your prodigy's future - From Bar Mitzvah to Bar Exam - A guide for rich suburban parents.

Comment

So, what was the answer to the original question? Should the OP's kid play up with their grade during HS, or not? It got lost in here somewhere. I have an August kid and would like to hear the advice as well. Options for us are to play with lower grade on top team at top club, or on second team, same club in her own grade with probably less playing time. Means she will miss freshman year HS but we are a D3 school so it's really just socialization and the 'school experience', not the soccer she will miss.

Comment

So, what was the answer to the original question? Should the OP's kid play up with their grade during HS, or not? It got lost in here somewhere....
                    The original question was answered. You can read the first three or four pages.

Comment

So, what was the answer to the original question? Should the OP's kid play up with their grade during HS, or not? It got lost in here somewhere. I have an August kid and would like to hear the advice as well. Options for us are to play with lower grade on top team at top club, or on second team, same club in her own grade with probably less playing time. Means she will miss freshman year HS but we are a D3 school so it's really just socialization and the 'school experience', not the soccer she will miss.
                      Once you get to HS, the term playing up disappears. In all sports, you play on whatever team you make, and it will be a mix of grades. If your HS is d3, does it have more than a varsity team? If your assumption was that your child would make the freshman team in 9th grade, no need to make this into too big an issue: play with the club team that the child enjoys the most. Sounds like that's with the age group, not the grade, but whichever is more fun.

Comment

Go for the playing time. Sitting on the bench is a waste of time.

Comment

Go for the playing time. Sitting on the bench is a waste of time.
                          Unless you talk to your club coach that is. Then it's educational. Gotta fill the roster with paying customers ya know.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X