X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Question for you.

If I am a travel coach whose team has dominated the local travel league and who has beaten premier teams in tournaments and friendlies, are you ok with me taking my team to CJSA or CCSL premier? ( I intend on keeping the cost the same or as close to it as possible and I intend on being honest with the parents as far as the true level of premier we are playing)

I know the whole landscape is a mess but my kids need competitive games .
    If you want your players improve and are considering premier then go to CCSL. It is more expensive but there's no one to play in CJSA premier any longer to make it worth your while. Also depends on what your town program is charging now for families to compare. Some travel programs aren't cheap any longer, just cheaper than premier. Obviously get the parent's buy in ahead of time and let them know what it entails - it's still instate but some games won't be just around the corner.

Comment

Hardly - prior members wanted CT soccer to stay competitive. But CJSA did little to stem the club departures to regional leagues, then backfilled with lower quality teams, prompting more clubs to leave. In comes CCSL offering better instate competition and again CJSA did nothing. Game over now. They're a travel org now, which is fine as long as they don't screw that up too
      What should they have done that would have stopped club departures to regional leagues?

How should they have filled their leagues?

What should CJSA have done to stop the creation and expansion of the CCSL?

Comment

Utter tripe.

Prior members wanted money and the parents obliged. CJSA was taken for a ride by its members.

Town rec coaches formed their own popup premier clubs, for which parents happily paid. They collected travel and rec kids from numerous town programs to pad their pockets. This watered down the CJSA premier leagues, which is one of the reasons the big 3 left. Then with the big 3 gone, the popup premier clubs felt they were playing in watered down leagues, which they had actually created for themselves, so they went to U.S. Club, which let them charge more money but actually still kept them in watered down leagues -- same coaches, kids, and clubs, nothing changed except the money grab is going further into the ranks of rec. players now.

Shame.

And how should this have been prevented?

Comment

And how should this have been prevented?
          You tell us.

I am just letting you know how it went down.

Comment

You tell us.

I am just letting you know how it went down.
            Not sure this could be prevented.

Free market system driven by parent demands and dollars.

Comment

What should they have done that would have stopped club departures to regional leagues?

How should they have filled their leagues?

What should CJSA have done to stop the creation and expansion of the CCSL?
              Kept club quality up instead of filling in with popups and town premier. Once they started that slippery slope it quickly went downhill. Clubs also got tired of CJSA runarounds, no one answering questions. It wasn't just about the competition but also league operations. Poor product, poor management.

Comment

Kept club quality up instead of filling in with popups and town premier. Once they started that slippery slope it quickly went downhill. Clubs also got tired of CJSA runarounds, no one answering questions. It wasn't just about the competition but also league operations. Poor product, poor management.
                The CJSA has had rules that you need four teams to join the CJSA as a club. With Rec. coaches moving away from town programs and starting popup premier clubs, the CJSA had really no good or legal way to stop the watering down. From there, it just got worse. Now the watered down teams are moving to CCSL because, I guess it's not sufficient for only the CJSA to be watered down, US Club has to be, as well.

Comment

And by what method, process or philosophy should the CJSA been able to keep up club quality? What exactly is that?

You tend to offer only a wide brush on things here and cannot speak very specifically to causal factors, tangible and effective response to their challenges in an evolving soccer world.

Comment

The CJSA has had rules that you need four teams to join the CJSA as a club. With Rec. coaches moving away from town programs and starting popup premier clubs, the CJSA had really no good or legal way to stop the watering down. From there, it just got worse. Now the watered down teams are moving to CCSL because, I guess it's not sufficient for only the CJSA to be watered down, US Club has to be, as well.
                    And again, if you think this wrong, how would you respond to it within CCSL? Where should these teams and clubs play?

Comment

And again, if you think this wrong, how would you respond to it within CCSL? Where should these teams and clubs play?
                      Wrong? This is what the parents wanted and paid for, a watering down of soccer structure across CT, moving away from the relegation-promotion system of CJSA, away from District Select, from relatively inexpensive soccer, to a pay-through-the-nose system.

My solution? To make fun of all the people stuck in what has been created over the past 15 or so years. My youngest kid moves on to college this year, so my only reason for posting on TS after this spring is entertainment. I could share things learned, but one of those things I learned is that U12 parents know it all so don't bother sharing. I was lucky, though, my kid did alright by soccer, and soccer by her. Not all families do so well.

Comment

Town premier teams were beating Premier clubs , so that indicates those clubs were not doing what they needed to do to " keep up the quality" of their own clubs. What CJSA needed to do was have true promotion and relegation regardless of who or where your team plays.

Any "new" premier club has to start out in A division travel. Only once their team or teams come in first place do they get to move up to premier . And if a premier team comes in last place in the lowest division of premier, they are relegated to travel.

Comment

Town premier teams were beating Premier clubs , so that indicates those clubs were not doing what they needed to do to " keep up the quality" of their own clubs. What CJSA needed to do was have true promotion and relegation regardless of who or where your team plays.

Any "new" premier club has to start out in A division travel. Only once their team or teams come in first place do they get to move up to premier . And if a premier team comes in last place in the lowest division of premier, they are relegated to travel.
                          CJSA premier leagues did have promotion and relegation.

Comment

The watering down is a problem even CCSL has to deal with. The big difference is you have JC running CCSL. If he doesn't pick up the phone on your call he gets back to you. He listens and makes decisions based upon the active membership. It's easy to register players and create processes like guest players, etc...He also reserves the right to move teams up and down based on feedback from those he trusts. If only one team is getting relegated he will relegate 2 if he has 2 better teams to take their place. It's being flexible and nimble in the marketplace. CJSA was a dinosaur.

Comment

Travel leagues are administered by the Districts, and not by the CJSA. Typically, travel leagues feature residency requirements, like Connecticut Cup, and premier leagues do not. So, a premier team might not be able to enter a District travel league because of where its players live, but a town travel team could enter a premier league.

Anyway, conflating travel and premier leagues ignores the reality of how and why these two things are different.

Comment

... If only one team is getting relegated he will relegate 2 if he has 2 better teams to take their place. .....
                                This is no way to run relegation and promotion, ad-hoc relegation based on whispers from "people you know." Nepotism.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X