MLS Clubs Dropping DA?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This came out awhile back regarding how much clubs claim to spend on their academies. It doesn't show the other side, how much they make with clinics etc to help cover those costs. But even if a club breaks even, it sucks up an enormous amount of manpower. Definitely some clubs like the Revs would give anything to get out of DA altogether.

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/the91...eir-academies/

Pulled from each individual questionnaire, here’s the ranked list of the nine who submitted figures on how much they spent in 2016 on their respective academy setups.

9. New England Revolution: $1 million
    t8. D.C. United: $1.5 million
    t8. Montreal Impact: $1.5 million
    6. Chicago Fire: $1.75 million
    5. Columbus Crew: $2.5 million
    t4. FC Dallas: $3 million
    t4. Portland Timbers: $3 million
    t1. LA Galaxy: $4 million
    t1. Philadelphia Union: $4 million

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      You lack the vision to see the future. MLS 20 years ago was a much different animal, with limited resources and a few owners owning all of the teams. People like you would have said at that time that MLS would never have its own stadiums, would never have a TV contract and would never maintain an Academy system that was producing players that leagues in Europe would poach.

In the future we will have a multi-level pro pyramid and all of these teams will have their own Academies. Solidarity and training compensation will be in effect. We may even have promotion and relegation.....step aside, sit back and watch (just like to did 20 years ago).
      Read the post above about the costs of running academy programs. Some MLS clubs are doing great and are financially stable but others are really struggling and don't need to added expense and distraction of youth development. Those that do want it likely want something much smaller than what they are forced to run by USSF right now.

Comment

Read the post above about the costs of running academy programs. Some MLS clubs are doing great and are financially stable but others are really struggling and don't need to added expense and distraction of youth development. Those that do want it likely want something much smaller than what they are forced to run by USSF right now.
        I guess but they all need to grow their fan base. IMO the youth programs help them do it. If your kid is going to NYCFC clinics instead of Revs clinic - they are more likely to become an NYCFC supporter.

Comment

I guess but they all need to grow their fan base. IMO the youth programs help them do it. If your kid is going to NYCFC clinics instead of Revs clinic - they are more likely to become an NYCFC supporter.
          Ok, so NYCFC has what, 100 kids a year in their program? Some will get cut (no longer fans are they?) and some won't be fans no matter what they do. That's a mighty costly marketing program don't you think?

Comment

Correct. That is why Garber is now pushing for solidarity payments and training compensation to be introduced. Doing so will make the Academy Development model a viable one - think of all the dollars FC Dallas could recoup if their MLS academy products couldn't just walk out the door for free (eg. Weston McKennie). The MLS owners are very smart business men and they will not continue to sink big dollars into their youth systems unless the economics change.

Comment

Ok, so NYCFC has what, 100 kids a year in their program? Some will get cut (no longer fans are they?) and some won't be fans no matter what they do. That's a mighty costly marketing program don't you think?
              Yes - I think the red bulls have a much better strategy with all the youth programs they run. I would think that help them generates a lot more good PR.

NYCFC seems like they are missing an opportunity by not doing more youth stuff. IMO they were smart of support the girls game with a GDA. Looks like that program may be in trouble but I would give them credit over the RBs for having at least having a GDA

Comment

Correct. That is why Garber is now pushing for solidarity payments and training compensation to be introduced. Doing so will make the Academy Development model a viable one - think of all the dollars FC Dallas could recoup if their MLS academy products couldn't just walk out the door for free (eg. Weston McKennie). The MLS owners are very smart business men and they will not continue to sink big dollars into their youth systems unless the economics change.
                I totally agree we need it - but what's the likelihood of that changing? I say slim to none. Nor is it something that will change soon. Clubs are bleeding money now. Also the Pulisics of the US are few and far between. It's an unreliable source of revenue that wouldn't be significant until we start producing more quality players.

Comment

Yes - I think the red bulls have a much better strategy with all the youth programs they run. I would think that help them generates a lot more good PR.

NYCFC seems like they are missing an opportunity by not doing more youth stuff. IMO they were smart of support the girls game with a GDA. Looks like that program may be in trouble but I would give them credit over the RBs for having at least having a GDA
                  Less than half a dozen pro clubs got involved with GDA. That was for a reason.

Comment

Less than half a dozen pro clubs got involved with GDA. That was for a reason.
                    We can agree to disagree. I would be more likely to support MLS clubs that did get involved. I personally would reward them for that with support for the first team. Good PR for them and disappointment with MLS clubs that did not get involved.

Comment

I totally agree we need it - but what's the likelihood of that changing? I say slim to none. Nor is it something that will change soon. Clubs are bleeding money now. Also the Pulisics of the US are few and far between. It's an unreliable source of revenue that wouldn't be significant until we start producing more quality players.
                      MLS and its billion dollar owners will get what they want -they resuscitated the sport here in the US and they wield a tremendous amount of power . Most legitimate clubs around the world run their own academies. MLS clubs should be no different, and they should be compensated for their development efforts. It will happen.

Comment

Red Bulls is in one of the better positions to "possibly" cover their costs with RDS and camps. But it's only because of the massive network they have built to do so and the vast metro area they can pull kids in from. A struggling club like Columbus? Not so much.

The goals of an MLS club in youth development (if they even want to be in it) are vastly different than the vast majority of kids they train (college). Each year they have to train 100+ kids at their expense to "maybe" find one homegrown every other year. They can't even really profit off the homegrowns either. Some MLS clubs want to stay in youth development but do it their won way; others don't want anything to do with it at all.
                        I dunno. Tyler Adams transfer fee was $3mm + 33% of future xfer fees. Jack Harrison was $6mm + performance bonus & "sizeable" sell on clause. Let's say Tyler does a CP in 2 or 3 years - that would be $24mm+ coming back to RBNY. You only really need one of those a decade to justify the academy - especially considering the "halo" over the whole RDS brand (the real money maker).

I think there are clubs that get this and spend (RBNY), and there are those that winge about the costs and don't (NE Revs).

I am sympathetic to the population density arguments, although the greater Columbus MSA has a population of 2.4mm so it's not as if there's no one to choose from. It does call into question why MLS hasn't focused on larger MSAs, like San Fran (4.7mm), Phoenix (4.7mm), and only finally got around to Miami (6.2mm)

Comment

Why would their approach to youth programs or camps and clinics change if they are profiting from them? These are entirely unrelated to DA and DA does NOT have the right to claim any cash from these private ventures.

Comment

MLS and its billion dollar owners will get what they want -they resuscitated the sport here in the US and they wield a tremendous amount of power . Most legitimate clubs around the world run their own academies. MLS clubs should be no different, and they should be compensated for their development efforts. It will happen.
                            legitimate clubs in the premier league are subject to relegation and promotion. MLS does not promote and relegate. very different system.

Comment

Why would their approach to youth programs or camps and clinics change if they are profiting from them? These are entirely unrelated to DA and DA does NOT have the right to claim any cash from these private ventures.
                              Ask them. I am a consumer of soccer not a supplier. I can just state that having a good experience with a brand help generate support for the first team.

Comment

We can agree to disagree. I would be more likely to support MLS clubs that did get involved. I personally would reward them for that with support for the first team. Good PR for them and disappointment with MLS clubs that did not get involved.
                                Your point is interesting and makes sense in theory, however I have a few serious questions for you.

So based on your claim, you personally rewarded NYCFC with your business? How did you do that exactly? How many games did you attend and did you ever attend an NYCFC game before last year (when they got involved with GDA)? Did you purchase NYCFC apparel? Curious to hear your response...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X