Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do ball hogs disrupt the flow of a good soccer team?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do ball hogs disrupt the flow of a good soccer team?

Do ball hog disrupt the flow of good teams?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Depends on how skilled the team is and if they are a continous passing team. A ball hog is not thinking of the team, only themselves.

Comment

depends on what style the coach wants to play - the right one or the wrong one. unless this is girls soccer, which seems to thrive on ball-hogginess.

Comment

There is only one correct answer......YES!

Comment

Of course. However, many teams do win a lot of games by constantly feeding the ball to a highly talented ball hog so if the goal is simply to win games it's not always a terrible strategy. Unfortunately, pumping the ball to the talented striker all game long works for some teams.

Comment

What happens when your team is very talented and the ball hog is a black hole that over dribbles and is losing the ball 75% of the time?How do you address the problem? Have the kids do it? Talk to the coach what are some of the better options?

Comment

What happens when your team is very talented and the ball hog is a black hole that over dribbles and is losing the ball 75% of the time?How do you address the problem? Have the kids do it? Talk to the coach what are some of the better options?
              I was the poster that said there is only one correct answer, yes. Because you asked if it disrupts a GOOD team. If they are a good team, then a ball hog actually makes the team weaker, and definitely disrupts the flow. That will not make them win more games as another poster wrote.

Kids talking to the player usually doesn't work, especially if their parent is constantly yelling "take it yourself". I have seen kids act on their own and just refuse to pass the ball to that player. Not ideal team play either.

You can talk to the coach, but if he/she noticed it they should have benched the player after they didn't follow instructions. Of course, the age of the players will have a lot to do with it also.

If there are politics in play, or the coach thinks that is one of their "better players" and they're all about winning, you're facing an uphill battle. Either just accept it, or run for the hills.....Good Luck

Comment

I was the poster that said there is only one correct answer, yes. Because you asked if it disrupts a GOOD team. If they are a good team, then a ball hog actually makes the team weaker, and definitely disrupts the flow. That will not make them win more games as another poster wrote.

Kids talking to the player usually doesn't work, especially if their parent is constantly yelling "take it yourself". I have seen kids act on their own and just refuse to pass the ball to that player. Not ideal team play either.

You can talk to the coach, but if he/she noticed it they should have benched the player after they didn't follow instructions. Of course, the age of the players will have a lot to do with it also.

If there are politics in play, or the coach thinks that is one of their "better players" and they're all about winning, you're facing an uphill battle. Either just accept it, or run for the hills.....Good Luck
                Thank you!

Comment

depends on what style the coach wants to play - the right one or the wrong one. unless this is girls soccer, which seems to thrive on ball-hogginess.
                  I thought girls soccer thrived on jogging around and then kicking the ball out of bounds, and then jogging back to their position.

Comment

To me, a lot depends on the level of ballhoggery. If a player never tries to take on a defender 1x1, they'll never develop that skill.

And occasionally, it's ok to try to take on 2 defenders, as again, I think that helps develop skills.

On the other hand, players that always ignore the easy option, or players that try to develop those skills deep in their own half, or who ignore the easy pass to turn blindly into 3 defenders or who constantly take 30-yard prayer shots are definitely harmful to their teams and their own development.

As one of the well known trainers in my area always says, "American parents are too concerned about ballhogs. You know who was a ballhog? Messi. You know who else? Ronaldo!"

Comment

It's hard to answer this question until you know the talent on the team!

My son was in this situation about being a ball hog! In a regular parents eyes, they saw him as a ball hog! However being the coach, the other players, weren't making correct runs, getting into open space or playing a system. He was constantly looking to pass, however after he beat one defender, the next thing they all run towards the ball and almost act as another defender, asking for the ball.

Having someone who can dribble and draw multiple defenders could be a good thing - because it could lead to tap in goals for other players! If they just play their positions and spread the field! Nonetheless, if the receiving player cannot convert these tap in goals, than I don't blame a kid for no longer passing and I would expect the kid to eventually leave and play with equal talent!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X