Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Nifty pivot away from the topic, about GS, if you are mentally deficient. The topic is GS, not UO or OSU. The comparison to OSU is obviously meant to show how bad the UP program under GS is. Too hard for you to understand?
    If you notice, the response was to some moron who brought up UP in the discussion. I know reading and logic are difficult, but even someone who is mentally retarded should be able to recognize this. But apparently you are too far gone.

Comment

Nifty pivot away from the topic, about GS, if you are mentally deficient. The topic is GS, not UO or OSU. The comparison to OSU is obviously meant to show how bad the UP program under GS is. Too hard for you to understand?
      The program is not "bad" under GS. This is simply untrue. They have had a few unimpressive years as of late but the point made was that so has EVERY other team in the Pacific Northwest. This stuff goes in cycles. Kids transfer for EVERY program in the country so let's not overplay that song. So, stop with the ax to grind. You're daughter just isn't, wasn't or will ever be as good in other's eyes as she is in yours and that's ok cause you're her daddy. But please stop hating on those who don't fail to see her for the spectacular star that you and mom think she is. We all know we would see it too if she just got the same chance to perform as that "other" girl does.

Comment

Oregon State and Oregon have been on the bottom half of the PAC12 for a long time. There is no argument there. Ducks should be doing much better based on Uncle Phil's money.

Portland has a much richer soccer history. The PAC12 is a stronger conference than the WCC. Bragging about finishing 5th or 6th in the WCC is quite a decline from where Portland once stood. At best, Portland will be .500 in conference play. There is only one Clive and this may be the new norm for Portland soccer with or without GS.

People don't go to Duck or Beaver soccer games. There is a fan base for Portland soccer. For better or worse that may be the reason why expectations are higher for Portland.

Just because someone points that out does not mean that person is disgruntle because there son or daughter did not get recruited by UofP.

I would agree, but just because they won a couple of NC doesn't mean that they should continue to do so every five or ten years. Santa Clara has a title but it's not like they get back to the final four all the time. Florida State won it recently, but they haven't been back to the final four since they won it. Garrett is not going anywhere. As to Oregon and Oregon State, why they keep those coaches around is a good question. Both are terrible.

Comment

I would agree, but just because they won a couple of NC doesn't mean that they should continue to do so every five or ten years. Santa Clara has a title but it's not like they get back to the final four all the time. Florida State won it recently, but they haven't been back to the final four since they won it. Garrett is not going anywhere. As to Oregon and Oregon State, why they keep those coaches around is a good question. Both are terrible.
          Forget about NC. How about just back to the tournament?

Comment

Why are we still talking about old ass coaches who are still trying to do the same old crap they did 20 years ago.

Garrett is a joke.

Linus is mediocre but I don't think 90% of coaches could do a better job in this area.

The game continues to change but these guys are playing checkers.

At least Linus knows what he is up against. Garrett is like a used car salesman who doesn't even to pretend he knows how to coach.

Comment

Forget about NC. How about just back to the tournament?
              Smith wil not get back to the tournament for these reasons:

1) he's not as good as clive
              2) BYU gets better recruits
              3) Pepperdine is a top 100 US news school and is absolutely beautiful. TOP So cal recruits will always pick Pepperdine over Portland.

Portland is competing with Santa Clara/Loyola and everyone else for the third place:

Santa Clara - better recruits here
              Loyola - nicer campus and better recruits
              USD - nicer more renown campus
              USF - Did great last year and was slighted by the NCAA.
              Pacific - new coach who is trying to rebuild. Big ??? here. not looking good.
              St. Mary's - committed to hops and not soccer. will never compete
              Gonzaga - committed to hoops and not soccer. will never compete

Comment

The program is not "bad" under GS. This is simply untrue. They have had a few unimpressive years as of late but the point made was that so has EVERY other team in the Pacific Northwest. This stuff goes in cycles. Kids transfer for EVERY program in the country so let's not overplay that song. So, stop with the ax to grind. You're daughter just isn't, wasn't or will ever be as good in other's eyes as she is in yours and that's ok cause you're her daddy. But please stop hating on those who don't fail to see her for the spectacular star that you and mom think she is. We all know we would see it too if she just got the same chance to perform as that "other" girl does.
                If anyone is critical of GS program it must be because their daughter did not get recruited by UofP. It has nothing to do with the Pilots's 3-5-1 conference record. I am not sure Portland is a destination goal any more for most so I can't see too many parents upset over not getting recruited.

There is a difference between a cycle and a trend. Portland's results is definitely a trend. To be fair, I am not sure if GS's replacement would do much better. Portland is a difficult school to sell. Clive was 1 in 100. 19 out of 100 would maybe do better and 80 out of 100 would get similar results as GS.

Comment

If anyone is critical of GS program it must be because their daughter did not get recruited by UofP. It has nothing to do with the Pilots's 3-5-1 conference record. I am not sure Portland is a destination goal any more for most so I can't see too many parents upset over not getting recruited.

There is a difference between a cycle and a trend. Portland's results is definitely a trend. To be fair, I am not sure if GS's replacement would do much better. Portland is a difficult school to sell. Clive was 1 in 100. 19 out of 100 would maybe do better and 80 out of 100 would get similar results as GS.
                  Anyone would do better because the new coach would stop bringing in FCPDX players and would start winning

Comment

The original article written about the program was by a reporter who down not have a child playing for Smith.

Is 6th place in the WCC good enough for you? A new coach would be paid less. If he or she came in 8th what's the difference? Portland would have an extra 20-40K in salary they could have go towards other things.

Comment

The original article written about the program was by a reporter who down not have a child playing for Smith.

Is 6th place in the WCC good enough for you? A new coach would be paid less. If he or she came in 8th what's the difference? Portland would have an extra 20-40K in salary they could have go towards other things.
                      The University of Portland is a private school with over a 140 million dollar endowment. 20-40k doesnt cover one students tuition. That's like housing and food costs. I don't think they're considering a coaching change based on pocket change. Lol. They are paying Terry Porter big bucks to coach a basketball team no one even cares to watch. Get real. You sound so "PSU";)

Comment

Anyone would do better because the new coach would stop bringing in FCPDX players and would start winning
                        I'm sure they'd be way better off if they recruited solely from Timbers Alliance clubs, right?

Comment

I'm sure they'd be way better off if they recruited solely from Timbers Alliance clubs, right?
                          They would be better if they could attract more talent like they used to. FC Pdx is known for having one of the weakest ECNL programs in the country but part of the Kool Aid for those girls is implanting the dream of go play at UofP someday.

Comment

Don't know why anyone wants GS, Linus or Kat fired. First thing any new coach will do is sign fewer Oregon players in order to improve the teams.

Comment

Good point. Look how well OSU and UofO are doing with a good number of non-FCPDX players.

Comment

Heck no!
                                I wasn't trying to only knock on FCPDX. It is the truth. Look at the demographics of where Clive used to recruit from and where they recruit now.
                                Adding Alliance players does nothing.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X