Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The First Domino Has Fallen: FREE ACADEMY FOR GIRLS!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great point. This is all before the 3 national events they have to travel to. The clubs will also have to pay for 6 adults (2 vans per team) to travel as well.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I posted this earlier but it seems to have been ignored or overlooked so I will try again. It is much easier to make GDA "free" in So Cal because you do not have to pay for travel. All of their games will be a short car ride away (relatively short for So Cal standards). Compare that to Thorns who will be traveling to Nor Cal, Utah and Seattle.
    They will have at least 4 flights per year. This will add about $1000/player or $18000/team per year.
    Thorns will also have overnight stays in hotels. Figure 8 nights/year (I think I am being conservative) at $40/player/night (4 girls to a cheap room). Adds $320/player or $5760/team/year.
    A "free" GDA in Oregon would also need to supply ground transportation for those trips. Figure $100/player for the year or $1800/team/year.
    A "free" GDA in Oregon would also need to supply meals and snacks for those trips. Figure 4 meals/player/trip (free hotel breakfasts) plus snacks. About $40/player/trip or $160/player/year or $2880/team/year.

These are all expenses the Galaxy doesn't have to cover. When essentially all of your games are home games, your players will get themselves to and from games, sleep in their own beds, and eat meals with their families.

Estimated cost difference (and again I think I am being conservative): $28440/team/year, or a total of $85,320 for three teams. Per year. This is above and beyond the things Galaxy is providing - coaching, field use, tournament entry fees, and kits.

I am not rooting for GDA to fail. But I think the people saying "Galaxy is doing it so Timbers has to also" are being very foolish.

Comment

Great point. This is all before the 3 national events they have to travel to. The clubs will also have to pay for 6 adults (2 vans per team) to travel as well.
      I wouldn't include the national events intentionally. I am trying to lift up the differences between a team in the LA market versus a team in Portland. Both teams have to travel to the same national events. I guess one of those events could be in So Cal which would mean a subsidized Portland team would be paying for that travel that a subsidized Galaxy team wouldn't have to pay for. But I have no idea where their national events are.

But the point regarding coach and chaperone travel is quite valid. I think 6 adults is too many. More like 2-4. A coach and manager, maybe an assistant coach and maybe another chaperone. Figure 3 adults just to split the difference. That adds: $750 in flights, $1350 in hotels (adults don't share rooms), $0 in ground transportation (riding in the same vans I already accounted for), and $120 for meals. All per trip. So it's an additional $2220/trip/team, or $26,640/year for all three teams. On top of the $85,320 already calculated for the team for a grand total of $111,960. Per year. Just for travel. And this is the part Galaxy does NOT have to pay.

I am by no means an ECNL fan either. But I am starting to understand why it is so expensive.

Comment

GDA could exceed $10,000 per year!
        Pay attention. It's free dummy.

ECNL is done. Over.

And I don't care. I have a boy.

It's obvious.

Comment

GDA could exceed $10,000 per year!
          Wow! That's a lot of dough.

Comment

There will not be a free GDA because it is not mandated. They only reason there is a boys free DA is it is mandated by MLS. Only if a GDA is mandated as a free program will it ever happen

Comment

There will not be a free GDA because it is not mandated. They only reason there is a boys free DA is it is mandated by MLS. Only if a GDA is mandated as a free program will it ever happen
              It already happened numb nuts, read the link in the first post.

Comment

It already happened numb nuts, read the link in the first post.
                Link says it will be the one & only fully funded girls DA. Not even all the boys DA is fully funded and you realize boys soccer is way more important than girls soccer, don't you?

Comment

Numb Nuts

You are wrong! It has not been mandated by anyone that the GDA is a totally funded free program. Yes LA Galaxy is doing it and TOPDRAW Soccer thinks others will. However, Numb Nuts your wishful thinking has not made it Mandatory.

Comment

Pay attention. It's free dummy.

ECNL is done. Over.

And I don't care. I have a boy.

It's obvious.
                    It's obvious you're an idiot. GDA won't ever be what is on the boys side. It's free at less than a handful of clubs. It isn't mandated to be free and clubs know parents will willing pay. Other than LA and possibly Dallas there's no MLS support to fund free teams; the other clubs that will try to have it have to be massive to be able to afford it. With the league travel and similar number of national events travel expenses will be similar to ECNL. Clubs are supposed to make an effort to reduce fees, but that's it. To the average soccer family $1000 off isn't going to be a deciding factor. The choice will be about which league is the best fit for their player and their ambitions. Then there's the fact that girls have a choice with ECNL, something the boys really never had. Finally, no pro path on the girls side and girls don't care. All they care about is college soccer and many won't be willing to give up HS soccer. Whichever league will get them there is what they'll chose. Some will go to GDA, but GDA won't get nearly the talent they're hoping for

And if you don't care why are you posting on a GDA thread?

Comment

http://www.matchfitacademy.net/home/841922.html

Match fit pulls out of DA.

Comment

They aren't the first and won't be the last.

Comment

so it's going to come down to NWSL DA (free) or Private clubs in ECNL ($$$$), until NWSL folds of course

Comment

so it's going to come down to NWSL DA (free) or Private clubs in ECNL ($$$$), until NWSL folds of course
                            Not a bad summary, although galaxy aren't NWSL and are the only ones with the free program so far.

I don't know how some of these NWSL teams could afford free. Also wonder if it will accelerate ECNL clubs turning down Girls DA in SoCal.

Comment

Not a bad summary, although galaxy aren't NWSL and are the only ones with the free program so far.

I don't know how some of these NWSL teams could afford free. Also wonder if it will accelerate ECNL clubs turning down Girls DA in SoCal.
                              Would be unfair for the NWSL players to have more money going to the girls DA than to them.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X