Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single ref U12 games

Ok, experiment failed, now lets go back to having an appropriate number of refs please. Watched a few games this weekend, so many blown offside calls (non calls and incorrect calls). It's not fair to blame the CR who's trying to pay attention to the ball and offside at the same time (impossible). Lots of blown calls for throw-ins, goal kicks, and corner kicks.

It's fine for small sided, small fields, but either get rid of the offside rule (please don't) or get some help in calling them correctly.

I'm sure the OYSA is saving a bunch of $ though

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Ok, experiment failed, now lets go back to having an appropriate number of refs please. Watched a few games this weekend, so many blown offside calls (non calls and incorrect calls). It's not fair to blame the CR who's trying to pay attention to the ball and offside at the same time (impossible). Lots of blown calls for throw-ins, goal kicks, and corner kicks.

It's fine for small sided, small fields, but either get rid of the offside rule (please don't) or get some help in calling them correctly.

OYSA isn't saving any money with this (and frankly it is running out of money, but that is a story for another day). Timbers are saving $ apparently with this and think it should be reflected in what folks are paying for league/cup fees.

However, this is the direction the Federation is going (single ref at younger ages). Like many things the Fed has rolled out recently, not sure they have tested it/really thought it through completely.

I agree with another poster on one of the other threads - if no a/rs than maybe no offsides at the young ages.

Comment

I agree with another poster on one of the other threads - if no a/rs than maybe no offsides at the young ages.
      I agree for U10 and younger. But at 9v9 U11/U12 need to start playing the game right. Learning offside on defending and attacking principals in essential, and the single ref isn't helping that (making kids scared to even be close to the last defender in case he's called OS

Comment

I agree for U10 and younger. But at 9v9 U11/U12 need to start playing the game right. Learning offside on defending and attacking principals in essential, and the single ref isn't helping that (making kids scared to even be close to the last defender in case he's called OS
        Not sure I disagree, but then we need to ignore the fed's guidance on this - they are encouraging single refs at that age and it is impossible to get offsides consistently right with a single ref . . . . I reffed a scrimmage a couple of months ago and was honestly guessing on a couple of offsides calls because I was watching the ball not the position of the last defender/highest attacker(s).

Comment

if we were truly about development then you would stick to the one referee and have an offsides line 20 yards from goal. This will help open up the game. But we as a country are so far behind the rest of the world.

U13 is when they even start to implement true offsides and referees.

We do it all wrong here.

They shouldn't have scores posted until U13 either.

Comment

if we were truly about development then you would stick to the one referee and have an offsides line 20 yards from goal. This will help open up the game. But we as a country are so far behind the rest of the world.

U13 is when they even start to implement true offsides and referees.

We do it all wrong here.

They shouldn't have scores posted until U13 either.
            I can agree with that. It's like USSF is trying to get there, but just half-assing it. If you're going to have offside you need three refs, but they want the one-ref games and still try to call offside. I'm fine with an OS line, in fact that would be pretty cool and would open up the game so that it's not mostly played on 1/2 of a small field.

Comment

I can agree with that. It's like USSF is trying to get there, but just half-assing it. If you're going to have offside you need three refs, but they want the one-ref games and still try to call offside. I'm fine with an OS line, in fact that would be pretty cool and would open up the game so that it's not mostly played on 1/2 of a small field.
              Then again the result doesn't really matter.

If the ball goes out of bounds 1" the parents complain if not called right. If a player is barely offsides at this young of an age they should let the play continue. Actually let the player finish the play. That is true development.

But when the trams are driven by results, cups and tables offsides now becomes important at U12 when it shouldn't.

Comment

If the ball goes out of bounds 1" the parents complain if not called right. If a player is barely offsides at this young of an age they should let the play continue. Actually let the player finish the play. That is true development.

But when the trams are driven by results, cups and tables offsides now becomes important at U12 when it shouldn't.
                At these age kids are absorbing an incredible amount - still mastering technical aspects, just picking up conceptual pieces . . . the more clarity adults can bring to the equation the better. I think "you are not offsides and less you are offsides by a how lot" could be confusing.

Comment

This isn't about them saving money. The reason they needed to switch to 1 center ref is because we have a reffing shortage. Parents have yelled and scared kids enough that we don't see a bunch of new refs every year that can handle being a center ref. There is just no way each game can get 3 officials across the board. Last year at u12 I would say over half of the league games we had 1 or 2 officials and we were supposed to have 3. If the parents left the ref's alone and let the kids learn/develop then perhaps we would have enough for 3 every game.

Comment

I think "you are not offsides and less you are offsides by a how lot" could be confusing.
                    That sure confused me ...

Comment

i agree with this

i always tell the players i coach the truth, in my 31 years of playing i've only ever met TWO good referees, and one more ok ref. so get used to bad referees, the sooner the better. learn that soccer is not fair, and you'll go farther.

(aka "it's all political", because in large part it is, so rise above the crap and become THE BEST out there. not one of the best THE BEST. a bad ref can't stop you then.)

Comment

This isn't about them saving money. The reason they needed to switch to 1 center ref is because we have a reffing shortage. Parents have yelled and scared kids enough that we don't see a bunch of new refs every year that can handle being a center ref. There is just no way each game can get 3 officials across the board. Last year at u12 I would say over half of the league games we had 1 or 2 officials and we were supposed to have 3. If the parents left the ref's alone and let the kids learn/develop then perhaps we would have enough for 3 every game.
                        I had a boy in U12 last year and didn't have that problem ever. Pretty much every CR was an older gentleman with younger (HS age) ARs. So far we've had an older gentleman and a HS aged kid as the CR, both of them miscalled OS. After the 1st 1/2 of the 1st game the kids were so gun shy to be close to the OS line they'd pretty much stood 2-5 yards from the last defender. Not really teaching them much.

The younger kid had a "ref coach" there watching and talking him through some details at the 1/2, which was nice.

Funny enough I saw a U13 or 14 game where they had 3 refs, all HS age, and it was a very poorly called game. The CR ignored about all of the ARs calls even when the AR was right next to the play. The ARs became shy and would only flag after the CR had made his decision (many times the wrong one because he was 30-40 yards from play). This guy needed a coach there.

All that said, I don't envy these refs at all. They have a tough job

Comment

That sure confused me ...
                          Wow I used to be able to write in English.

Comment

One ref only at the U12 games has been TERRIBLE.

Comment

One ref only at the U12 games has been TERRIBLE.
                              We shouldn't even have referees at U12 and under games. The kids and coaches can manage the games Themselves

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X