• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modric academy “ 3k per player , it’s all about development

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Modric academy “ 3k per player , it’s all about development
      The days of FYSA and cheap development is over.

Comment

there is a new "academy" in every corner its a $ making machine ,2k-3k per player every season plus travel expenses.

Comment

No, I don't. Modric would have made an awesome point guard - quick, strong, agile, can jump like a muther, die hard competitor. Just look at our men's team compared to him and tell me I am wrong - they suck, and have no fire in the belly, and aren't quality athletes. Take Tom Brady, train him all his life to play soccer, put LeBron James in goal and we would kill.

The "our best athletes are not playing soccer is a cop out". Until kids are able to go outside and play pick up games f0r 2-3 hours a day during school and 5-6 hours a day without any coaching or adult supervision we will be stuck in mediocrity. This is where you actually learn the game and areas of the game that can't be developed in any academy. Aside from the pay to pay part, I think the US has pretty good development of young players, as historically have to take kids with no exposure to the game and teach them to become somewhat decent. What they really cant teach is soccer IQ.

Comment

The "our best athletes are not playing soccer is a cop out". Until kids are able to go outside and play pick up games f0r 2-3 hours a day during school and 5-6 hours a day without any coaching or adult supervision we will be stuck in mediocrity. This is where you actually learn the game and areas of the game that can't be developed in any academy. Aside from the pay to pay part, I think the US has pretty good development of young players, as historically have to take kids with no exposure to the game and teach them to become somewhat decent. What they really cant teach is soccer IQ.
            Agree they have to get out there and play a lot of informal and formal games from a very early age. The clubs could do a better job with soccer IQ fundamentals. Watch some video tapes of players in the position, white board strategy before practices and try to apply to drills and then in games, so much to learn but barely scape the surface of strategy at practices. For years watched the 2000 team do the same thing at practice at every evening. Big circle passing in small spaces is great for possession but will only get the team so far.

Comment

could not agree with you more. i see alot of criticism that DA is "robotic." it is. but is it DAs fault? when a player needs to show something special, and doesn't, is it the DA coaches fault? I agree that it needs to come from hours upon hours of informal play. making mistakes and trying again. we don't have that in this country. if we did, i think the DA program would work fine, assuming selection is appropriate (a whole other subject).

Comment

could not agree with you more. i see alot of criticism that DA is "robotic." it is. but is it DAs fault? when a player needs to show something special, and doesn't, is it the DA coaches fault? I agree that it needs to come from hours upon hours of informal play. making mistakes and trying again. we don't have that in this country. if we did, i think the DA program would work fine, assuming selection is appropriate (a whole other subject).
                Some cities in south Florida are 98% Hispanic. Florida should me able to find 11 DA stars and national team hopefuls to take on Croatia one day.

Comment

Some cities in south Florida are 98% Hispanic. Florida should me able to find 11 DA stars and national team hopefuls to take on Croatia one day.
                  if a kid is hispanic does not mean he necessarily plays 3 or 4 hours pick up every day. these kids get out of school and there is no school based pick-up. going to the park is not realistic for numerous reasons. the fix is easy. get futsal types balls and put up two goals on either end of a basketball court and make it part of recess and an after school activity. so easy 3rd world countries with no resources pull it off. would love to hear from school admin folks why this never happens. my guess is our policy makers are too "football baseball basketball" oriented to do this, and too scared of liability in case a kid turns an ankle or skins a knee playing futsal on a basketball court.

Comment

if a kid is hispanic does not mean he necessarily plays 3 or 4 hours pick up every day. these kids get out of school and there is no school based pick-up. going to the park is not realistic for numerous reasons. the fix is easy. get futsal types balls and put up two goals on either end of a basketball court and make it part of recess and an after school activity. so easy 3rd world countries with no resources pull it off. would love to hear from school admin folks why this never happens. my guess is our policy makers are too "football baseball basketball" oriented to do this, and too scared of liability in case a kid turns an ankle or skins a knee playing futsal on a basketball court.
                    Don’t most Florida schools and hoods have green spaces?

Comment

Don’t most Florida schools and hoods have green spaces?
                      if the issue is developing skills with the ball and quick thinking, you need to do what countries like spain, colombia and brasil have done. introduce some variation of futsal into the schools as a recreational activity. the kids develop skills at a very young age. the cost is minimal. we have basketball courts, just need to add in goals. not saying schools hire futsal coaches, etc. nothing that structured. just let kids play in a lightly structured enviro. if i had a say, us soccer would run an initiative to cooperate with local schools in targeted markets and get futsal introduced as a recess/PE/ after school activity. it would make a huge difference in skills development. you do not develop skills properly with just saturday morning games and 1.5 hr structured practices 2X a week. not even close.

Comment

damn I had a lot of typo's... hate typing on phone.

Comment

damn I had a lot of typo's... hate typing on phone.
                          😂 that damn phone tying IQ. I can relate.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X