Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    This is the point. Coaches aren't developing the players, rather, they are encouraging lame shots that may go in against small goalies but end up harmless on a big field. The issue isn't the size of the field it's the coach trying to win a meaningless game instead of preparing them for a big field
    Bingo ...

Comment

I think you’re missing the point here. Shooting outside the box is a necessary skill for people to have. Even if it isn’t effective at a young age, it’s the right way to play the game. Saying this is a bad habit is like saying passing short is a bad habbit: at younger ages it’s less effective but it’s the right way to play the game so you shouldn’t discourage it.

The player has the knowledge to do the right thing, just not the technical ability. Telling them that what they’re doing is wrong can encourage real bad habits, like dribbling closer to get a shot, hesistation, passing the ball backwards unnecessarily...

The developmental approach to this issue would be to work on the players shooting instead of telling them to not shoot.
      Shooting outside the box from 18-25 yards is necessary skill. Shooting from 25+ is a pipe dream. That's the point

Comment

Shooting outside the box from 18-25 yards is necessary skill. Shooting from 25+ is a pipe dream. That's the point
        Just read the post again and I’d agree. I didn’t realize the player was a girl. For boys I’d say under 30 is viable, even if it’s just to force a save, put pressure, or win a corner.

Comment

I think you’re missing the point here. Shooting outside the box is a necessary skill for people to have. Even if it isn’t effective at a young age, it’s the right way to play the game. Saying this is a bad habit is like saying passing short is a bad habbit: at younger ages it’s less effective but it’s the right way to play the game so you shouldn’t discourage it.

The player has the knowledge to do the right thing, just not the technical ability. Telling them that what they’re doing is wrong can encourage real bad habits, like dribbling closer to get a shot, hesistation, passing the ball backwards unnecessarily...

The developmental approach to this issue would be to work on the players shooting instead of telling them to not shoot.
          Sorry, but a kid who is nowhere near strong enough to be a danger and passes up several other opportunities to shoot from distance isn't doing their development, the team, or the game any justice.

It's someone who was a big fish in a little pond, and hasn't sniffed reality yet on the bigger stage.

Comment

Note: it said some countries which means not US

But if you want a US example ... It worked out great for Pulisic.
            Who went to Germany...

Comment

Just read the post again and I’d agree. I didn’t realize the player was a girl. For boys I’d say under 30 is viable, even if it’s just to force a save, put pressure, or win a corner.
              13 year old boy? Or you thinking about 16 year old boy

Comment

Who went to Germany...
                Thanks Captain Obvious

Comment

Right. Too many big kids are just lofting a rolling ball towards the net at 30+ yards away. This is different than collecting a ball and strategically shooting from somewhere near the box. I'd encourage players to shoot anywhere inside the box and discourage trying to dribble into the goal. Learning when to do either is key

Comment

When goalies can consistently punt the ball to their counterpart goalie, it is time to move to a bigger field. This happens all too often U12.

Comment

When goalies can consistently punt the ball to their counterpart goalie, it is time to move to a bigger field. This happens all too often U12.
                      Spot on ...

Comment

Midfielders sure as hell cant be slow no matter how smart

Comment

lol yes GK volleying, like watching a tennis match

Comment

Spot on ...
                            Nobody in the world punts anymore.
                            Entire youth leagues are set up to limit their use...
                            Come out from under the rocks

Comment

Midfielders sure as hell cant be slow no matter how smart
                              Only when there is no organization, and the entire game consists of the ball bouncing around in the middle of the field. When there are any traces of organization or skill, you’ll quickly see that it doesn’t matter in most scenarios. As the margins get smaller (a higher level) whoever can recognize the play first/is better positioned will win the ball. There simply isn’t enough time between touches for speed to play such a big role.

Comment

Nobody in the world punts anymore.
                                Entire youth leagues are set up to limit their use...
                                Come out from under the rocks
                                Funny. I was just reading your comment as I watched a World Cup GK punt the ball. You are the one under the rock. Of course there are situational times in any soccer match where punting is preferred to rolling out, or playing out from the back. Both are necessary skills and tactical options. And no, it is not helpful for anyone’s development to have them volley the ball back-and-forth between keepers in a U12 game. Time to move to a big field.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X