Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Q for any Coaches/Trainers on Position Diversity

My son plays LB for his club team and will be trying out for Modified soccer in the Fall.

He has played as a wing before this season.

Do you think trying to play at a MF or F position would be good or bad for good overall development.

I think position diversity would be a good thing, but worried that playing two positions in the same Fall season could create some confusion for him.

Any thoughts?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My son plays LB for his club team and will be trying out for Modified soccer in the Fall.

He has played as a wing before this season.

Do you think trying to play at a MF or F position would be good or bad for good overall development.

I think position diversity would be a good thing, but worried that playing two positions in the same Fall season could create some confusion for him.

Any thoughts?
    Players, especially through middle school, should play every where, even in net. The more they understand the role of each position and the field the better. Pigeon holing players is bad for their development and limits their prospects in the future (what happens if there's another strong LB who gets all the playing time or if they want to move teams?). It's also bad for the team. If players are missing, a coach needs to fill spots he knows can slide right in without missing a beat

You said he plays LB, is he a leftie? If so he can be utilized up and down that side

Comment

Players, especially through middle school, should play every where, even in net. The more they understand the role of each position and the field the better. Pigeon holing players is bad for their development and limits their prospects in the future (what happens if there's another strong LB who gets all the playing time or if they want to move teams?). It's also bad for the team. If players are missing, a coach needs to fill spots he knows can slide right in without missing a beat

You said he plays LB, is he a leftie? If so he can be utilized up and down that side
      He's actually right-footed, but the team needed a LB, which I think has been good experience for him.

Comment

Absolutely play anywhere and everywhere as often as you can. You never want to be pigeon-holed into a single position.

I think it's helpful to understand what the role is of all positions to be best in your own.

Comment

I agree with all. I was a professional player in the 90's and it was different back then because you only played the position you were the best at. Seeing my kids over the years, I see that this is a positive trend of letting kids play all over the field. NYCFC younger teams does this as my son is part of that program.

Comment

He's actually right-footed, but the team needed a LB, which I think has been good experience for him.
            It is. Playing all over isn't just about position but also which side of the field. All coaches like players who can fill holes and be flexible. It's only the lazy ones who don't want to take the time to figure out where players should move to next and/or care more about results that slot kids into spots and never try them elsewhere.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X