X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SUSA Training Good or Bad

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The true bottom line is the decline of soccer and reputation of all soccer clubs on LI. Every club has older teams that under perform across the board. You just want to divert attention to one club. It’s every club. What you have are individual players despite the inadequate training who still manage to succeed while the vast majority never will get to their potential. Don’t fool yourself, LI used to have a very good reputation and was a worthy opponent that teams from other regions respected. Not any more. They know look forward to playing LI teams with no trepidation.
    you might be right!!!!! My PAL soccer team in 1988 was the BEST EVER!!!!!!!!!

Comment

dude, mistakes happen. you think the same scenario does not happen in the college/
      pro-level? happens more often than you think.

bottom line is susa traning sucks.
      Not saying mistakes don't happen. This discussion is about the quality of coaching/training, and the commentary is that the coach focused his berating on a GK when clearly the berating should have been on the defenders. The coach should have focused his comments on the players who made the mistake, not the GK who was left facing an uncontested shot from close range.

Comment

Not saying mistakes don't happen. This discussion is about the quality of coaching/training, and the commentary is that the coach focused his berating on a GK when clearly the berating should have been on the defenders. The coach should have focused his comments on the players who made the mistake, not the GK who was left facing an uncontested shot from close range.
        I almost agree. But, as the old saying goes....

"The superior man blames himself. The inferior man blames others." - Don Shula

instead of the coach blaming the players perhaps he should look in the mirror and blame himself. (whose decision was it to put those 3 defenders in that position?).

we can dissect this a 1000 different ways, in the end susa training sucks 1000 different ways.

Comment

instead of the coach blaming the players perhaps he should look in the mirror and blame himself. (whose decision was it to put those 3 defenders in that position?).

we can dissect this a 1000 different ways, in the end susa training sucks 1000 different ways.
          Top 100 US youth soccer clubs as of Feb. 2020
          BarcaResidency in AZ ranked #39
          BarcaNY ranked #88

Where? where? where? is susa?

https://www.soccerwire.com/news/brea...february-2020/

Comment

Top 100 US youth soccer clubs as of Feb. 2020
            BarcaResidency in AZ ranked #39
            BarcaNY ranked #88

Where? where? where? is susa?

https://www.soccerwire.com/news/brea...february-2020/
            Forget SUSA, where is my beloved NYSC?????????????????????

Comment

Putting 3 defenders on defense? Sounds reasonable to me.

And of course, if the coach has never told his defenders to mark attacking players in the box, then he is a terrible coach. If he has told his defenders to mark attacking players in the box but they didn't, then the coach should point out their mistake of not marking the attacking player in this instance. That he decided to focus his attention to berate the GK for no coming off her line soon enough is an indication he is a terrible coach.

Comment

Putting 3 defenders on defense? Sounds reasonable to me.

And of course, if the coach has never told his defenders to mark attacking players in the box, then he is a terrible coach. If he has told his defenders to mark attacking players in the box but they didn't, then the coach should point out their mistake of not marking the attacking player in this instance. That he decided to focus his attention to berate the GK for no coming off her line soon enough is an indication he is a terrible coach.
                yes. but you missed and/or ignored the key words "those defenders". not everyone is meant to be a defender. not everyone is meant to be a striker. part of being a good coach is putting your players in positions they are good at to maximize their contribution to the game.

Again, there are many reasons why the susa coaches are horible so we are in agreement on this.

Comment

We are at SUSA and our child as well as others are very unhappy with the overall product. Some of the trainers are good but a majority are weak and there is no consistency. It appears each trainer is allowed to run whatever session they want. For a child to say practice is boring and all we do is stand around or scrimmage most times that is a big issue. So you can have a good trainer for a year or two and then you get a pure dud. Is anyone else seeing this? Do you just grin and bare it or should you speak up to the coach or DOC? Speaking up to some of these people I have heard makes things worse on your child. I cant see allowing the trainers to not train and challenge the teams week after week at the costs we are are paying.

Suppose to be an Academy with much higher standard than this.
                  I unfortunately have seen it from the inside as a soccer professional. There is ZERO leadership at the club. On the technical side SUSa has no structure and that’s why everything is left up to individual coaches. There is no club philosophy, system or style of play. They don’t build from the younger ages into what they want to achieve at the older ages. It’s as dysfunctional a “academy” as you’ll see. It’s no wonder they are the punch line of jokes with the real academies across the tri-state. I’d say across the country but nobody outside the northeast has heard of them since they have no national accomplishments at the top level. For 5-10k per year, you’re wasting your money IMO. I was NEVER given any guidance or feedback for my teams play whether for training sessions or games. Your comment is correct as the only top talent as far as coaches come from the new merger and a few of those coaches are respected. The old guard at SUSA are nothing but paycheck collectors and babysitters.

Comment

I unfortunately have seen it from the inside as a soccer professional. There is ZERO leadership at the club. On the technical side SUSa has no structure and that’s why everything is left up to individual coaches. There is no club philosophy, system or style of play. They don’t build from the younger ages into what they want to achieve at the older ages. It’s as dysfunctional a “academy” as you’ll see. It’s no wonder they are the punch line of jokes with the real academies across the tri-state. I’d say across the country but nobody outside the northeast has heard of them since they have no national accomplishments at the top level. For 5-10k per year, you’re wasting your money IMO. I was NEVER given any guidance or feedback for my teams play whether for training sessions or games. Your comment is correct as the only top talent as far as coaches come from the new merger and a few of those coaches are respected. The old guard at SUSA are nothing but paycheck collectors and babysitters.
                    Its disappointing that Susa has become so large and has not increased the value of their product. One can easily argue the opposite has occurred. Their reputation is not good and its for solid reasons. Put their questionable business practices to the side and look at what they are doing with the kids and the atmosphere they are creating. Training just isn't there throughout the organization. How can it be with no directives coming from the top as noted in this post quoted above. There are some trainers who are great with organized sessions but the majority are just there and they are not there for the kids or the love of the game to be passed onto these kids. New facility is great but without quality training its meaningless. Rather play on dirt and know my kid is getting in an environment that supports growth on and off the pitch.

Comment

Its disappointing that Susa has become so large and has not increased the value of their product. One can easily argue the opposite has occurred. Their reputation is not good and its for solid reasons. Put their questionable business practices to the side and look at what they are doing with the kids and the atmosphere they are creating. Training just isn't there throughout the organization. How can it be with no directives coming from the top as noted in this post quoted above. There are some trainers who are great with organized sessions but the majority are just there and they are not there for the kids or the love of the game to be passed onto these kids. New facility is great but without quality training its meaningless. Rather play on dirt and know my kid is getting in an environment that supports growth on and off the pitch.
                      Welcome to "For Profit" Soccer!!!!

Comment

The fields are nice. I'll give them that.

Comment

The fields are nice. I'll give them that.
                          I can't argue with you there. Fields are amazing, program needs to catch up fast with their training and get rid of the cancer.

Comment

I can't argue with you there. Fields are amazing, program needs to catch up fast with their training and get rid of the cancer.
                            Glen and company care only about themselves. They allow these not so great trainers get away with way too much. The few trainers who are good be grateful if you get one but if its not built on when your child moves to the next trainer guess what happens? Only in youth sports can an organization be so shiny from the outside and a complete cesspool on the inside. If susa cared they would quickly adjust and create much more organization from the top down and this would tighten things up considerably. They rather the other approach poach and replace each year.

Other much more respected academies have a strong philosophy, system and teach a style of play that is built on from age group to age group as the kids progress. That part aside then there is the completely inappropriate behavior that is so prevalent with some of their more tenured coaches. Poor ownership followed by some very poor management. the reality is very clear to those that have been there a while. If susa got their act together and got rid of some of the problem coaches in their organization that would be a start. Then create what you want susa to be known for (style of play, philosophy, system) not scrapping the bottom with your employer choices.

Comment

Meant to say with your employee choices.

Comment

The problem with SUSA is they do not have a defined curriculum that every coach has to follow. I have worked at Susa before, and without revealing my name, I can tell you I respect and love everyone that works there, and I left only because I received a full-time well paying job. With that being said, we had many issues when it came to development, and it was swept under the rug. The model was always what we could do as coaches to bring in money. Glen often would rip apart the coaches for not recruiting more players and bringing up the numbers of enrollments. I often argued with Glen and Moussa and told them if we set a real curriculum, the teams will train better, perform better, and ultimately that is what will bring more players into the club, but it seemed no one was interested in that. WHere I got really frustrated was when they hired JR and his girlfriend Rebecca, who became a coach also at SUSA. Their inappropriate behavior in the office halls was obvious, and JR also got fired from FC COPA for stealing money, so I don't understand why Moussa hired him for SUSA. JR took over the girl's program, and Eddie took over the boys program because he has a British accent but can not assemble a real full training session. Both JR and Eddie are technical directors, yet both do not have a curriculum, and no coaches from the club follow the same training sessions. What SUSA, however, has over a lot of other organizations is the huge player pools of 50-100 kids showing up to tryouts and JR and EDDIE being able to take the best 20 for year age groups A team. That, unfortunately, is not developing in any way. A club is a money-making machine, and that is the primary focus. Player and team development are secondary, if at all. Now comparing SUSA to other real academies like METOVAL, BWG, NYCFC, RB, CedarStars, PDA. I can tell you every coach has to follow a curriculum by the DOC. At Met Oval, Filipo enforced a curriculum and even fired coaches that went against this. At SUSA, no one will get fired for such actions. SUSA, in my opinion, lost credibility is rehiring KOZY, who, in fact is my dear friend but has screwed SUSA in the past with money, went off started his own program, then failed at getting to surf but cut back a deal with Moussa and Glen. Glen gladly took him back because KOZY could bring back over 50+ players equaling out anywhere from 15k-20k in basic registration money for SUSA.
                                Glad I came across this post. Is this really the deal at susa? Our child is being recruited heavily by one of the trainers. Our biggest concern is hearing the roster sizes and not so great training. How can you have roster sizes 20-25 and Ecnl only allows you to dress 18?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X