Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Cony's not listed anywhere here that I can find: http://www.portlandthornsacademy.com/home.php

(And this website does note the partnership with Westside for field and admin support. And indeed, the same ugly stack sports template that Westside uses for its own website is here, and Anita the admin's name pops up in various places. But no mention of Cony).

On the USSDA pages from last season, his name does pop up.

And FWIW, the price being bandied about here appears to be wrong--it's $2950 ($2850 with early payment discount) including all league travel; DA showcases are $400 extra. (CU is "in the neighborhood of $2000", excluding travel). Neither set of fees include "other" tournaments, kit, etc.
    CU travel is around 10K per player. No family. 4 nationwide events, 12 charter bus or regional airline trips scrimmages vs wa, idaho and utah local clubs. No cal sometimes too.

Comment

I heard the story over the weekend. If BM doesn’t lose his job then all respect is lost
      Why would he lose his job doing what everybody else does?

Comment

Brandon McNeil of United PDX
        Oh. That guy. Total sleaze. He’s a slightly more sophisticated Tom Atencio or MJ. Wouldn’t let my kid within 10 miles of him. His social media game is strong, however.

Comment

Cony's not listed anywhere here that I can find: http://www.portlandthornsacademy.com/home.php

(And this website does note the partnership with Westside for field and admin support. And indeed, the same ugly stack sports template that Westside uses for its own website is here, and Anita the admin's name pops up in various places. But no mention of Cony).

On the USSDA pages from last season, his name does pop up.

And FWIW, the price being bandied about here appears to be wrong--it's $2950 ($2850 with early payment discount) including all league travel; DA showcases are $400 extra. (CU is "in the neighborhood of $2000", excluding travel). Neither set of fees include "other" tournaments, kit, etc.
          I don't know - ex-Thorn parent was complaining about how Westside was taking over everything (they had just read something listing Cony in some role, but I can't find it either), Gavin's 3-yr promise was about to expire, yadda, yadda, yadda . . . Thorns parents complain a lot, including the ex ones, so at some point you just tune it out.

Point was Westside complaining about recruiting is ridiculous.

signed,

the ghost of Tom Atencio

Comment

Oh. That guy. Total sleaze. He’s a slightly more sophisticated Tom Atencio or MJ. Wouldn’t let my kid within 10 miles of him. His social media game is strong, however.
            He coached at UP until he was fired. Maybe he could of stayed there if he was this good at recruiting.

Comment

I don't know - ex-Thorn parent was complaining about how Westside was taking over everything (they had just read something listing Cony in some role, but I can't find it either), Gavin's 3-yr promise was about to expire, yadda, yadda, yadda . . . Thorns parents complain a lot, including the ex ones, so at some point you just tune it out.

Point was Westside complaining about recruiting is ridiculous.

signed,

the ghost of Tom Atencio
              If I had a kid on ODP, I would be outraged if any of the staff coaches were giving preferential treatment to their own players--or using ODP as a carrot to induce kids to switch clubs. Even if you think that all's fair in inter-club competition, such conduct is a betrayal of one's ethical duties to the ODP program. After all, would you want YOUR kid to lose a spot so a club-hopper gets his promised reward?

Recruiting I have no problem with. But coaches who put on an ODP hat have a duty to be faithful to the ODP program and to all the kids therein. Coaches who cannot handle that shouldn't be in the program. And any exchange of benefits within ODP for favors granted to a club, crosses a well-established line in law and ethics. Were a realtor or accountant or lawyer to engage in similar conduct in their professions and be caught, they'd have their licenses revoked faster than Cristiano Ronaldo.

Comment

He coached at UP until he was fired. Maybe he could of stayed there if he was this good at recruiting.
                Oh Jabrone, he resigned when he was offered full-time at NEU.

Maybe he regrets the decision considering how UP has improved, but UP was surprised to lose him.

Comment

If I had a kid on ODP, I would be outraged if any of the staff coaches were giving preferential treatment to their own players--or using ODP as a carrot to induce kids to switch clubs. Even if you think that all's fair in inter-club competition, such conduct is a betrayal of one's ethical duties to the ODP program. After all, would you want YOUR kid to lose a spot so a club-hopper gets his promised reward?

Recruiting I have no problem with. But coaches who put on an ODP hat have a duty to be faithful to the ODP program and to all the kids therein. Coaches who cannot handle that shouldn't be in the program. And any exchange of benefits within ODP for favors granted to a club, crosses a well-established line in law and ethics. Were a realtor or accountant or lawyer to engage in similar conduct in their professions and be caught, they'd have their licenses revoked faster than Cristiano Ronaldo.
                  . . . . and you are going to take Westside's take on this at face value? Does Westside even really know why they lost a few players?

One of the issues with Westside is that they may be tight with Gavin and the Timbers but can be out-of-touch with what is going on at the player level . . . they also take it as a personal affront any time a quality HS boy player might (god forbid) choice another Portland club over them.

Easy to spin a negative narrative, instead of looking at why quality boys players are choosing UPDX over Westside right now at the high school ages, despite Westside's incredible history.

Comment

. . . . and you are going to take Westside's take on this at face value? Does Westside even really know why they lost a few players?
                    There's a non-denial denial if I heard one. At any rate, I'm sure you will enlighten us.

One of the issues with Westside is that they may be tight with Gavin and the Timbers but can be out-of-touch with what is going on at the player level . . . they also take it as a personal affront any time a quality HS boy player might (god forbid) choice another Portland club over them.
                    Oh, nonsense. If anything, Westside is infamous for telling kids (and uptight parents) to not let the door hit 'em in the azz. WT is probably the most-frequently poached club in the area; if they're upset about a poaching, there's probably a good reason.

Easy to spin a negative narrative, instead of looking at why quality boys players are choosing UPDX over Westside right now at the high school ages, despite Westside's incredible history.
                    Give me a break. Are you seriously suggesting that BM is a better coach than John Bain, or that a club that has only existed in its current form for about a year, now offers a better development platform than the clubs that have been doing this for years?

UPDX, from what I've seen so far, is entirely built on recruiting and acquisition. They looted FC of a lot of its 06 talent. They've become the dumping ground for Timbers Academy castoffs who would rather stay together than endure the humiliation of returning to their old clubs. They tried to bust their way into 07 and 08 contention by adding a couple teams from Woodburn (!!!) to their roster. And BM is upping the ante on ODP poaching.

But what player(s) have they actually developed? NEU produced a few, but quite a few families from the former BSC inform me that the quality of the program went south when Robin Bostwick went to WashT, followed closely by the merger being announced. Families that had been there for years suddenly found their kids being replaced. I miss the old BSC; they were a good club and a worthy rival.

Unlike other upstarts like ADF or SCA, BM isn't making any claims (that I can tell) of actually being a better coach than his peers; he's simply trying to aggregate talent, and using every means fair or foul to do so. And for many families, unfortunately, that's enough of a motive to switch, player development be damned.

It's not just Westside that's complaining; UPDX seems to be ******* off a LOT of local clubs.

Comment

There's a non-denial denial if I heard one. At any rate, I'm sure you will enlighten us.

Oh, nonsense. If anything, Westside is infamous for telling kids (and uptight parents) to not let the door hit 'em in the azz. WT is probably the most-frequently poached club in the area; if they're upset about a poaching, there's probably a good reason.

Give me a break. Are you seriously suggesting that BM is a better coach than John Bain, or that a club that has only existed in its current form for about a year, now offers a better development platform than the clubs that have been doing this for years?

UPDX, from what I've seen so far, is entirely built on recruiting and acquisition. They looted FC of a lot of its 06 talent. They've become the dumping ground for Timbers Academy castoffs who would rather stay together than endure the humiliation of returning to their old clubs. They tried to bust their way into 07 and 08 contention by adding a couple teams from Woodburn (!!!) to their roster. And BM is upping the ante on ODP poaching.

But what player(s) have they actually developed? NEU produced a few, but quite a few families from the former BSC inform me that the quality of the program went south when Robin Bostwick went to WashT, followed closely by the merger being announced. Families that had been there for years suddenly found their kids being replaced. I miss the old BSC; they were a good club and a worthy rival.

Unlike other upstarts like ADF or SCA, BM isn't making any claims (that I can tell) of actually being a better coach than his peers; he's simply trying to aggregate talent, and using every means fair or foul to do so. And for many families, unfortunately, that's enough of a motive to switch, player development be damned.

It's not just Westside that's complaining; UPDX seems to be ******* off a LOT of local clubs.
                      BM's training sessions are outstanding. CK's are excellent for the right player. Never seen JB's, but know plenty of high-level players that swear by him.

Comment

In 2019, if a club wants to develop good players and isn't recrutiing, then something's wrong.

There are too many clubs in OR, and so you need to work to get a critical mass of players decent enough to make training something other than complete trash.

Comment

The issue with the Dick Hanna Honda Car Salesman BM isn’t a state level ODP issue. BM offered Region IV spots if players were to come to UPDX. Region IV consists of about 15 states worth of players! As the head coach of Region IV, his team is just one step away from the national team!

You can pretty much guarantee that he will lose that job and any future jobs with ODP. No more paid trips to Costa Rica, Florida and Hawaii. In all reality OYSA should step in and kick some butt here too. UPDX BoArd of Directors should be notified. This is no small matter. The integrity of the newly formed UPDX Club is at stake. BM wasn’t just recruiting a player, he was essentially using his position with US Soccer at the highest of levels to persuade players to come his way.

Heads need to roll!

Comment

My son has been in rtc/odp for many years and the coaches always pick most of their team from their club.

M

Comment

The issue with the Dick Hanna Honda Car Salesman BM isn’t a state level ODP issue. BM offered Region IV spots if players were to come to UPDX. Region IV consists of about 15 states worth of players! As the head coach of Region IV, his team is just one step away from the national team!

You can pretty much guarantee that he will lose that job and any future jobs with ODP. No more paid trips to Costa Rica, Florida and Hawaii. In all reality OYSA should step in and kick some butt here too. UPDX BoArd of Directors should be notified. This is no small matter. The integrity of the newly formed UPDX Club is at stake. BM wasn’t just recruiting a player, he was essentially using his position with US Soccer at the highest of levels to persuade players to come his way.

Heads need to roll!
                              Full agreement. But some correction. His Region IV team is more than 1 step from national level.

He does not represent US Soccer. He represent US Youth Soccer.

Both of these are huge differences. He tries to convince people he is near the highest level, but that is wrong and a sales pitch.

Comment

What age group did the boys leave from? Maybe it was a coach issue. That’s usually why players leave. Westside keeps the same coach for the same age group for too long. Some kids just need a change in coaching style.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X