Other Clubs, a review

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are having a really good experience at Sporting for Ulittle boys. Dino and Branko are great coaches that play to develop rather than play to win. I.e., they play all players equally and have the kids play multiple positions.

The biggest issue we had with them was last fall when it seemed like every practice was cancelled due to rain. However, with the agreement with Sports on 66 for indoor and the new turf field this isn't an issue anymore.

Dino is very vocal and gives great instruction to the kids during the game and in practice. He has a good talent for coaching without joysticking. I think Branko has a doctorate in sports fitness (or something like that) and a European A license for soccer. He is more about the overall fitness and athletic ability of the kids at the younger ages and less vocal during the games.

Both get along with my kids really good and it appears they are genuine and the kids really like them.

For all the haters of Sporting I am a parent, not Goran or an intern, and this is my opinion. Take it or leave it as you will.

Comment

Good stuff!

Comment

agree with AFC, but on boy's side. Had two kids go through the club - while not everything was perfect, overall we were satisfied with the experience. Just wish MO hadn't left.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          agree with AFC, but on boy's side. Had two kids go through the club - while not everything was perfect, overall we were satisfied with the experience. Just wish MO hadn't left.
          You can find him screaming on a FSA sideline these days.

Comment

AFC does a good job but there have been issues. In the past the girls coach at Cheshire HS coached at AFC so there was always pressure for the girls to play there. In many ways they were selling the dream to kids who never really had much of chance to play much at on a LL high school team. Lots of players sitting on the bench or on the JV team that paid $2500 per year to watch kids from CFC and FSA never come off the field. New coach also from AFC so hopefully its not more of the same.

Comment

We are having a really good experience at Sporting for Ulittle boys. Dino and Branko are great coaches that play to develop rather than play to win. I.e., they play all players equally and have the kids play multiple positions.

The biggest issue we had with them was last fall when it seemed like every practice was cancelled due to rain. However, with the agreement with Sports on 66 for indoor and the new turf field this isn't an issue anymore.

Dino is very vocal and gives great instruction to the kids during the game and in practice. He has a good talent for coaching without joysticking. I think Branko has a doctorate in sports fitness (or something like that) and a European A license for soccer. He is more about the overall fitness and athletic ability of the kids at the younger ages and less vocal during the games.

Both get along with my kids really good and it appears they are genuine and the kids really like them.

For all the haters of Sporting I am a parent, not Goran or an intern, and this is my opinion. Take it or leave it as you will.
              It’s quite clear that you’re not Goran...with the complete sentences and mastery of the English language, there was never any doubt.

Comment

More camaraderie? Please explain
                I get it. My kids are ulittle at OW and there is absolutely no camaraderie on the team. Ok, the kids from Glastonbury that know each other from school get along, or if there are multiples from a town they do too. But the kids treat the other kids really bad on the team and the coaches don't do anything because OW is about the kids learning to develop themselves. This means certain kids get subbed all the time because the kids decide who is the sub. Is a 9 year old going to sub their friend from school or the kid they don't know?

I constantly see the OW kids mess around, kick the balls away from their team mates, bully, yell constantly negative things to their team mates during the game and they are never corrected. Most of the kids think they are the next mia/messi and don't need to pass. OW coaches never seem to correct them and parents think this is good soccer. If their mia/messi dribbles through 3 people before they lose the ball they think that is great. If they dribble through 3 and get a weak shot off that the goalie gets easy they all ooh and ah. Never mind the kid open up ahead that they refuse to pass too.

Look at the scores, they get killed not because they aren't talented or have good instruction. They get killed because most of the kids think they are the greatest players ever and their parents think so too. No need to have camaraderie, pass or play like a team if we are all the best in the CT.

Comment

AFC does a good job but there have been issues. In the past the girls coach at Cheshire HS coached at AFC so there was always pressure for the girls to play there. In many ways they were selling the dream to kids who never really had much of chance to play much at on a LL high school team. Lots of players sitting on the bench or on the JV team that paid $2500 per year to watch kids from CFC and FSA never come off the field. New coach also from AFC so hopefully its not more of the same.
                  Sad to hear that. But new Cheshire coach (KM) and JL are both leaving AFC at the end of this season so I doubt that will be an issue. Though things should get interesting with both of them leaving AFC as they are already short staffed with coaches.

Comment

I get it. My kids are ulittle at OW and there is absolutely no camaraderie on the team. Ok, the kids from Glastonbury that know each other from school get along, or if there are multiples from a town they do too. But the kids treat the other kids really bad on the team and the coaches don't do anything because OW is about the kids learning to develop themselves. This means certain kids get subbed all the time because the kids decide who is the sub. Is a 9 year old going to sub their friend from school or the kid they don't know?

I constantly see the OW kids mess around, kick the balls away from their team mates, bully, yell constantly negative things to their team mates during the game and they are never corrected. Most of the kids think they are the next mia/messi and don't need to pass. OW coaches never seem to correct them and parents think this is good soccer. If their mia/messi dribbles through 3 people before they lose the ball they think that is great. If they dribble through 3 and get a weak shot off that the goalie gets easy they all ooh and ah. Never mind the kid open up ahead that they refuse to pass too.

Look at the scores, they get killed not because they aren't talented or have good instruction. They get killed because most of the kids think they are the greatest players ever and their parents think so too. No need to have camaraderie, pass or play like a team if we are all the best in the CT.
                    Absolutely correct. You get it. Some won't. But, this thread is not for chat about OW, really. There are other threads. Just focus on your club and let the guys who don't understand go as a lost cause.

Comment

everton is now inter and word is staff much happier with marty & leon as owners so should continue to be a good local premier choice with average facilities

Comment

The Spring 2019 season is ending. Tryouts have happened for the big clubs. Forge them. They're expensive, don't play your kid, teach boot-it ball, and feature daddy coaches. You can have all of that without the expensive travel and with more camaraderie by going to a more local club.

This thread is not for CFC united, OW, any FSA, YU, or BS, so you guys get knotted. This is clubs like Academica, Everton, Southeast Premier, Celtic, FSC, and others.

Tell us about your local club and why we should try out there.
                        We LOVE Thrones FC. Grog and stew game dinner and after game parties are great. Very aggressive play and some kids and parents have been sacrificed but they learn a lot about life. Fur uniforms a little scratchy and the girls teams are looked down upon but a good time for all !!!! Lots of back stabbing (literally) but you get use to it. And never , ever talk bad about the head of the club or you probably will get the head of a club. And pay your dues on time or will will have to pay dues.

Comment

Sad to hear that. But new Cheshire coach (KM) and JL are both leaving AFC at the end of this season so I doubt that will be an issue. Though things should get interesting with both of them leaving AFC as they are already short staffed with coaches.
                          Another potentially interesting facet to watch is that the still-new Cheshire town premier program kids will be entering HS age soon. It'll be very interesting to see if there's a drop-off due to different club/training the bulk of the players.

Comment

I'm familiar with both boys and girls rosters - not many FSA/CFC kids on either. Not sure what you're talking about.

Comment

Just look for the team with the least success and the most disgruntled kids and you'll find that clown.

Comment

everton is now inter and word is staff much happier with marty & leon as owners so should continue to be a good local premier choice with average facilities
                                LO and MW are genuinely good people.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X