Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is Oregon outside of Oregon ?

I have been reading the USDA, ECNL, OYSA debate on this forum, who is better ???

So I asked myself how does Oregon in the regional league competitions.

Here is what I found. I only looked at U-15 and above. For USYS I excluded the WA Timbers boys, since they seem to play in Washington and included the Girls since they play in Oregon. The records reflect all clubs playing in the leagues

USYS National League NW Division

Boys 26-52-6 win rate of 31% Girls 49-41-20 win rate of 44%

USDA

Boys 18-38-6 win rate of 29% Girls 18-47-13 win rate of 23%

ECNL

Girls 47-51-10 win rate of 43% It should be noted CU is 37-11-8 with a win rate of 66%. The other club is struggling a bit more.

What does this mean? I have no idea really.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I have been reading the USDA, ECNL, OYSA debate on this forum, who is better ???

So I asked myself how does Oregon in the regional league competitions.

Here is what I found. I only looked at U-15 and above. For USYS I excluded the WA Timbers boys, since they seem to play in Washington and included the Girls since they play in Oregon. The records reflect all clubs playing in the leagues

USYS National League NW Division

Boys 26-52-6 win rate of 31% Girls 49-41-20 win rate of 44%

USDA

Boys 18-38-6 win rate of 29% Girls 18-47-13 win rate of 23%

ECNL

Girls 47-51-10 win rate of 43% It should be noted CU is 37-11-8 with a win rate of 66%. The other club is struggling a bit more.

What does this mean? I have no idea really.
    (USYS) we waste quite a bit of money on useless travel to play teams better than us, the lone DA is subsidized and Peregrine covers that bill or in the US Club (ecnl) limited 2 club example parents spend more to play teams that resemble mid level OYSA teams.

Since the level of play is so varied on each platform paying 10K on travel for an inflated record vs bad out of state teams seems expensive and downright stupid.

Comment

So we shouldn't play soccer

(USYS) we waste quite a bit of money on useless travel to play teams better than us, the lone DA is subsidized and Peregrine covers that bill or in the US Club (ecnl) limited 2 club example parents spend more to play teams that resemble mid level OYSA teams.

Since the level of play is so varied on each platform paying 10K on travel for an inflated record vs bad out of state teams seems expensive and downright stupid.
      If the ENCL is inflated I assume you mean it is on par with OYSA where we waste quite a bit of money on useless travel. I conclude we should create a in state league similar to recreational soccer and save a ton of money, and I mean a ton of money.

Comment

Mouthbreathing Timbers lemming spotted with their Trump facts.

Comment

If the ENCL is inflated I assume you mean it is on par with OYSA where we waste quite a bit of money on useless travel. I conclude we should create a in state league similar to recreational soccer and save a ton of money, and I mean a ton of money.
          I don’t understand why travel is looked at so negatively.

Do I think that traveling a dozen times a year multiple states away to play other teams is economical? No

But to go to 2-3 travel showcases or tournaments a year is fine. For one, you get to play different teams and second, it’s nice to leave the Portland metro area to vacation somewhere.

People come on here all the time and complain about how a certain team shouldn’t even be going to “Surf Cup” because that certain team can’t even beat all of the local teams. San Diego in July or November? AYFKM? It’s gorgeous down there!

My son plays on a local Boys ECNL team and we will be in Orlando Florida at the end of December for one of the events. Is there really anyone on this site that would truthfully complain about a trip to Florida in the month of December?

Comment

Do I think that traveling a dozen times a year multiple states away to play other teams is economical? No

But to go to 2-3 travel showcases or tournaments a year is fine. For one, you get to play different teams and second, it’s nice to leave the Portland metro area to vacation somewhere.

People come on here all the time and complain about how a certain team shouldn’t even be going to “Surf Cup” because that certain team can’t even beat all of the local teams. San Diego in July or November? AYFKM? It’s gorgeous down there!

My son plays on a local Boys ECNL team and we will be in Orlando Florida at the end of December for one of the events. Is there really anyone on this site that would truthfully complain about a trip to Florida in the month of December?
            The surf cup was one of 27 travel destination that year, einstein.

Travelling to Florida to play teams similar to Oregon & Washington average fare, makes these activities 'Leisure trips' that being said, why not make the most of it and not play soccer and enjoy your trip? When you can play soccer 10 minutes away from your house vs. the same type in florida us club tourney cycle, every day of the week.

The answer comes back as, because we can.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2503947]The surf cup was one of 27 travel destination that year, einstein.

Travelling to Florida to play teams similar to Oregon & Washington average fare, makes these activities 'Leisure trips' that being said, why not make the most of it and not play soccer and enjoy your trip? When you can play soccer 10 minutes away from your house vs. the same type in florida us club tourney cycle, every day of the week.

The answer comes back as, because we can.[/QUOTE

Kids get tired of playing the same team "10 minutes away from your house." Why would you want to play the same teams over and over again?

What teams travel 27 times in one year???

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2503954]

The answer comes back as, because we can.[/QUOTE

Kids get tired of playing the same team "10 minutes away from your house." Why would you want to play the same teams over and over again?

What teams travel 27 times in one year???

Considering any team in the boys ECNL from Oregon actually has 30 teams withing 20 miles to play that are of the same or better caliber. Why travel to Florida to play when you can spend all year here playing the level of Boys ECNL Florida.

It was actually 29 times over a calendar year. Because they could.

Comment

It is very simple..... coaches at club or with teams who don’t travel need to protect their paychecks so they boo hoo anything they don’t do and lie how local competition is all you need for top players.

Comment

There are many reasons that teams travel:

1) To play better competition than one can find locally. There is plenty of it out there. OTOH, if you're not in a gold/super black/etc. bracket, chances are you're not lining up against teams that can't be found in the Pacific Northwest.

2) As a vacation, or for "soccer experience". To enjoy the non-soccer aspects of the trip, or to immerse oneself in the "soccer culture" of the host city. Few domestic tournaments really provide a true "soccer culture" (Surf arguably, Dallas Cup definitely), but many are located in fun vacation spots.

3) League requirements. A lot of the bitching here is about "travel leagues"; nobody plays 27 tournaments in a year, but if you play for the Timbers Academy U15 or above, every other weekend you're getting on an airplane. (Of course, the Timbers pay for those trips, and they are NOT vacations of any sort). And while OYSA won't require any airplane trips, road trips to Bend or Medford aren't uncommon.

4) To keep out the riff-raff. While such things are seldom spoken out loud, "I like to pay more because than THEY can't afford it" is more common than people will admit. Some of the CU honks have on occasion gone there.

A lot depends on the club, and the coach. My preference, as a parent, is for no more than one "airplane" trip in a year, especially if it's during the school year. And only A teams really have any business getting on an airplane, at least if it's for soccer reasons (if everyone wants to take a vacation in Spain, and everyone knows what it is, that's fine).

Comment

The answer comes back as, because we can.
                      You must have misunderstood me. I don’t have the time to write down every destination tourney on the planet. I was using Surf Cup as an example because I’ve been going there for over 20 years. It’s the one tourney that pops in my head when looking to travel.

To argue your point-

The idea of always playing the same group of teams in OYSA isnt a bad idea. You will find that most people enjoy traveling to other parts of the world to experience the game. I’ve had the opportunity to take my kids to four different countries to play the game and see different cultures. I traveled a ton to play the game when I was a kid. I understand that the cost brings out the negative tone in your argument but who really cares. If I can afford to take my kids somewhere else to see the game played in a different culture then who cares. Because a team chooses to go to Orlando in december doesn’t fit your local recreational mentality then who cares. Just relax and enjoy the environment that you feel most comfortable in. Quit complaining about how the Jones’s are doing...you don’t have to keep up with them.

Comment

You must have misunderstood me. I don’t have the time to write down every destination tourney on the planet. I was using Surf Cup as an example because I’ve been going there for over 20 years. It’s the one tourney that pops in my head when looking to travel.

To argue your point-

The idea of always playing the same group of teams in OYSA isnt a bad idea. You will find that most people enjoy traveling to other parts of the world to experience the game. I’ve had the opportunity to take my kids to four different countries to play the game and see different cultures. I traveled a ton to play the game when I was a kid. I understand that the cost brings out the negative tone in your argument but who really cares. If I can afford to take my kids somewhere else to see the game played in a different culture then who cares. Because a team chooses to go to Orlando in december doesn’t fit your local recreational mentality then who cares. Just relax and enjoy the environment that you feel most comfortable in. Quit complaining about how the Jones’s are doing...you don’t have to keep up with them.

It's no problem that you enjoy Travel, just find a forum dedicated to leisure times, thanks.

Comment

To argue your point-

One of the problems is that "travel" is often falsely equated with "quality" in youth soccer, especially by clueless parents. It is assumed that a "travel team" is an elite-level team. Some unscrupulous coaches will exploit this ignorance by promoting their team as a "travel team", even if much of the travel is to pay-the-fee-and-you're-in tournaments, and some glory seeking parents will eagerly repeat this nonsense around the water cooler.

First of all, what exactly is a "travel team"? Does doing Surf (but otherwise playing in OYSA Premier) make you a travel team? What about ECNL, and having several showcase events around the country, and many league matches in the Seattle area? What about the Timbers U17 academy team, who flies to California on a regular basis for league opponents?

If you enjoy travel soccer for the social and recreational aspects of it, fine! Knock yourself out. But don't kid you into thinking that makes your club, your team, or your DD/DS "elite"; travel soccer is a money-making industry and wouldn't be if it were limited to the best of the best. And don't make an ass of yourself by asserting that non-travel teams are inferior or have a "rec" mentality. Many serve disadvantage communities that can't afford it, and many have coaches who know full well that from a soccer point of view, much tourney travel is overrated, even if it is fun.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X