Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

College 2020 update - reality check

My oldest daughter was home this weekend along with two of her still close club teammates. My oldest is in her 3rd year playing D1 out of state at a great engineering school with middling competitive soccer program.

Out of the 18 girls from her club team, 12 committed which is not bad. A couple of the other girls could have played at some college somewhere but not at their college of choice so they are playing college club etc. They were recruited by various D1/D2 schools schools in and out of state. My daughter got into her school in large in part because it is an academically challenging school so that her major, grades and scores enabled her to qualify for some nice academic scholarships that offset a uninspiring athletic offer (Title 9 sucks).

Out of her 12 teammates who committed, 6 are still playing, 2 have transferred schools to play elsewhere with 1 is no longer in school at all. Of the 5 still in school but no longer playing a few of them transferred back to Florida schools to finish/change their degrees. This is pertinent because my oldest has also expressed a desire to forego playing her senior year because the rigor of engineering classes/internship and athletics have become too burdensome with her sights set on grad or perhaps med school "if" she qualifies. Though her coach asked her to take to the summer while at her internship to think it over, we have no idea which way she is leaning.

All her club teammates were/are great kids, good students with supporting if not crazy parents with a number of her teammates being superior athletes to my daughter. We pushed picking the school over the soccer program in case something like this happened (admittedly we were more concerned about injury than burn out).

I think in the end my daughter is very lucky because she is going earn her Chem Engineering degree whether she plays her sr. year or not. There were times we were worried and once drove 12 hrs straight to spend the weekend with her because she was stressed out and didn't want her coaches or teammates to know.

With our youngest heading up north to play softball, we are better prepared and better informed going through the recruitment process, again picking an academic program over an athletic program. While title 9 money sucks a 1500/4.3 will can get your kid a nice package to many good schools so if in the end; playing four years is not the cards, your kid will not have to uproot their life in college.

It is not a joke when you hear D1 athletics is a job, especially when playing far from home. Your kid will get into arguments with their coaches over classes. Sometimes its missing classes, sometimes it going to class instead of going to a therapy/rehab session. If your kid asks to miss a practice for more time to study for an upcoming test, they won't say no....but your kids may sit the bench for 80 mins next game too.

Overall I think my daughter will tell you it has been a great experience and I don't think our family would have done things much differently but be realistic in your goals while sitting on the sideline crabbing about the coach, playtime, refs.....whatever.

Good post.

Thanks for the insight.

Confirmed a lot of what we all expect moving forward. Please, continue to post insightful first hand experiences like this. Thanks.

Comment

The odds of playing all 4 years in D1 aren't great. Cuts, injuries, transfers, quitting because no PT...that's why it's essential to pick a school you would attend without your sport. Don't compromise in academics or fit just to play, because you might not be one day and then what?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        The odds of playing all 4 years in D1 aren't great. Cuts, injuries, transfers, quitting because no PT...that's why it's essential to pick a school you would attend without your sport. Don't compromise in academics or fit just to play, because you might not be one day and then what?

Unfortunately, I see a number of kids going to school to play instead of academics or in pursuit of their major. More and more kids going to college and don't realize where you go does matter when getting hired depending on your major.

Comment

Unfortunately, I see a number of kids going to school to play instead of academics or in pursuit of their major. More and more kids going to college and don't realize where you go does matter when getting hired depending on your major.
          You don't see sh!t. Origin of the college degree matters for the first, maybe second job. After that, it is experience. Shut the fvck up.

Comment

You don't see sh!t. Origin of the college degree matters for the first, maybe second job. After that, it is experience. Shut the fvck up.
            With the that compelling statement and your eloquent vocabulary, it is clear you graduated from one of the finer institutions of higher learning. I'm sure your BA in English you received from Daytona State has served you well. Was a color copy available when you hit the print button?

Comment

True, it also makes things much more difficult to matriculate into advance programs like med school with a degree from schools like UNF, Rollins, etc. Not impossible, but certainly harder.

Comment

With the that compelling statement and your eloquent vocabulary, it is clear you graduated from one of the finer institutions of higher learning. I'm sure your BA in English you received from Daytona State has served you well. Was a color copy available when you hit the print button?
                Noting illustrates ignorance more than a condescending ***** that has to belittle a degree from an institution. You proved the poster's point. Well done.

Comment

True, it also makes things much more difficult to matriculate into advance programs like med school with a degree from schools like UNF, Rollins, etc. Not impossible, but certainly harder.
                  So you choose your doctors based upon their undergraduate degree? Genius.

Comment

Noting illustrates ignorance more than a condescending ***** that has to belittle a degree from an institution. You proved the poster's point. Well done.

Interesting, you defend person who started the attack by attacking. I'm guessing you're defending your own post.

Comment

Where in that post did it say anything about choosing a doctor based on their undergraduate degree? It didn't.

Whatever issue got under your thin skin, it does not negate the fact certain schools & programs command more respect than others. Right or wrong, it is easier to get into UF medical school program with an undergraduate program from the bigger state schools vs others. No different than matriculating into Johns Hopkins is easier coming out BU than say UCF.

The statistics are not too hard to find. Over 2700 medical school applicants in Florida last year with 7 medical schools. UF, FSU, UM and UCF lead the way by far. After those schools, the number drop off dramatically.

Considering that most medical class accept 50 - 100 applicants at most, they tend to be very discriminating on where they accept students from....all other things being equal aside such as grades or MCAT scores.

Comment

If they go to a low level college it's that much harder to get into a high level med school. It's just how it works. Sure it can be done but is incrementally harder than if you go to a good undergrad program.
                        But dont worry, theres still all those Caribbean med schools.

Comment

Hard to prove someones point when your not the person they were dropping F bombs on in the first place. You don't seem any brighter.

Comment

My oldest daughter was home this weekend along with two of her still close club teammates. My oldest is in her 3rd year playing D1 out of state at a great engineering school with middling competitive soccer program.

Out of the 18 girls from her club team, 12 committed which is not bad. A couple of the other girls could have played at some college somewhere but not at their college of choice so they are playing college club etc. They were recruited by various D1/D2 schools schools in and out of state. My daughter got into her school in large in part because it is an academically challenging school so that her major, grades and scores enabled her to qualify for some nice academic scholarships that offset a uninspiring athletic offer (Title 9 sucks).

Out of her 12 teammates who committed, 6 are still playing, 2 have transferred schools to play elsewhere with 1 is no longer in school at all. Of the 5 still in school but no longer playing a few of them transferred back to Florida schools to finish/change their degrees. This is pertinent because my oldest has also expressed a desire to forego playing her senior year because the rigor of engineering classes/internship and athletics have become too burdensome with her sights set on grad or perhaps med school "if" she qualifies. Though her coach asked her to take to the summer while at her internship to think it over, we have no idea which way she is leaning.

All her club teammates were/are great kids, good students with supporting if not crazy parents with a number of her teammates being superior athletes to my daughter. We pushed picking the school over the soccer program in case something like this happened (admittedly we were more concerned about injury than burn out).

I think in the end my daughter is very lucky because she is going earn her Chem Engineering degree whether she plays her sr. year or not. There were times we were worried and once drove 12 hrs straight to spend the weekend with her because she was stressed out and didn't want her coaches or teammates to know.

With our youngest heading up north to play softball, we are better prepared and better informed going through the recruitment process, again picking an academic program over an athletic program. While title 9 money sucks a 1500/4.3 will can get your kid a nice package to many good schools so if in the end; playing four years is not the cards, your kid will not have to uproot their life in college.

It is not a joke when you hear D1 athletics is a job, especially when playing far from home. Your kid will get into arguments with their coaches over classes. Sometimes its missing classes, sometimes it going to class instead of going to a therapy/rehab session. If your kid asks to miss a practice for more time to study for an upcoming test, they won't say no....but your kids may sit the bench for 80 mins next game too.

Overall I think my daughter will tell you it has been a great experience and I don't think our family would have done things much differently but be realistic in your goals while sitting on the sideline crabbing about the coach, playtime, refs.....whatever.

Would it be TMI if I asked how the finances broke down? We went through a little sticker shock ourselves during the process and I am curious if your experience was similar to ours since you mentioned a the athletic money was not great.

Comment

Would it be TMI if I asked how the finances broke down? We went through a little sticker shock ourselves during the process and I am curious if your experience was similar to ours since you mentioned a the athletic money was not great.

No worries. There are 14 scholarships that are available to be to doled out regardless of the what the tuition is. There are 28 players on the roster so no one, at least I don't think so, got a full athletic ride. For my kid it worked out a little over 65% merit, about 26% athletic, work study program, some other outside STEM scholarship programs, Florida Prepaid equivalency and some help from us. Her internship this summer is a paying one with housing so that will help alot too.

Though there are players who got more, coaches are very good at math and know what your kids merit portion will be before you do to be sure.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X