Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    No, they are actually encouraging it for new club applicants.
    Maybe if they are legit non profits and actual new clubs rather than for profit retreads

Comment

Will be interesting to see if OYSA will allow this - every indication is that they are coming down hard on these type of arrangements.
      The indication is that they are coming down hard on for-profit arrangements that try to register as non-profits, either by forming an ancillary 501(c)3 that is really run by the for-profit entity, or by registering under the umbrella of an existing nonprofit that doesn't provide management supervision of the team/coach.

However, Bridge City appears to be a legitimate nonprofit; here is a link to their registry at the State of Oregon: http://egov.sos.state.or.us/br/pkg_w...&p_print=FALSE So comparing them to SCA or similar is a bit off base. I can't see any grounds for OYSA to deny their application, assuming they can secure suitable facilities. ("You looted teams from an existing club" isn't sufficient grounds).

Comment

More than $300k hit to THUSC - OUCH
        Thusc isn’t the only club they took from.

I do wonder what the hit on thusc is..

Comment

Thusc isn’t the only club they took from.

I do wonder what the hit on thusc is..
          It seems that Bridge City is heavily weighted to the youngest age groups, which I guess is better than the alternative but I don't think there is anything to be read from this other than the fact that they really went after new entrants to the competitive market. That's a solid way to build a club.

Comment

The indication is that they are coming down hard on for-profit arrangements that try to register as non-profits, either by forming an ancillary 501(c)3 that is really run by the for-profit entity, or by registering under the umbrella of an existing nonprofit that doesn't provide management supervision of the team/coach.

However, Bridge City appears to be a legitimate nonprofit; here is a link to their registry at the State of Oregon: http://egov.sos.state.or.us/br/pkg_w...&p_print=FALSE So comparing them to SCA or similar is a bit off base. I can't see any grounds for OYSA to deny their application, assuming they can secure suitable facilities. ("You looted teams from an existing club" isn't sufficient grounds).
            Bridges took care of the 501(c)(3) piece, but their challenges are:

Demonstrating they are brining new players into the game and that they have fields. These are requirements for all applicants. It appears OYSA is now scrutinizing heavily non-profits playing under another non-profit, so I am not sure they circumvent those requirements by playing under another club.

Comment

Demonstrating they are brining new players into the game and that they have fields. These are requirements for all applicants. It appears OYSA is now scrutinizing heavily non-profits playing under another non-profit, so I am not sure they circumvent those requirements by playing under another club.
              GDA should have done it this way. Patience would’ve payed off bigger dividends.

Comment

They have field space and they are growing by building their base from younger players and training for college age is a bonus

Comment

They have field space and they are growing by building their base from younger players and training for college age is a bonus
                  It’s going to be a long commute to U of P for that field space only to end up on one field. Good thing small sided games are the trend these days.

Comment

It seems that Bridge City is heavily weighted to the youngest age groups, which I guess is better than the alternative but I don't think there is anything to be read from this other than the fact that they really went after new entrants to the competitive market. That's a solid way to build a club.
                    Agreed philosophically; however, if 80% of their players are coming from THUSC or other OYSA clubs, they aren't really reaching new markets, growing the game (numbers wise), or growing OYSA. Rightly or wrongly, that seems to be a requirement of the OYSA application.

Comment

SCA and Bridge City are not that different when you notice the nonprofit board is personally profiting from the club.

OYSA states a new club needs to open up a new marked or demographic. Bridge City is doing neither. This looks like RH just got pissed and decided she wants to run her own club without a board to hold her accountable.

Comment

SCA and Bridge City are not that different when you notice the nonprofit board is personally profiting from the club.

OYSA states a new club needs to open up a new marked or demographic. Bridge City is doing neither. This looks like RH just got pissed and decided she wants to run her own club without a board to hold her accountable.
                        Let’s say for argument purposes you are right — WHO CARES. Obviously the ones who chose to follow either had an admiration for Rochelle and/or a disdain for KL. Those who stayed also had their reasons. One thing is for certain having as many players that followed them is a big statement

Comment

Let’s say for argument purposes you are right — WHO CARES. Obviously the ones who chose to follow either had an admiration for Rochelle and/or a disdain for KL. Those who stayed also had their reasons. One thing is for certain having as many players that followed them is a big statement
                          It wont be much of a statement when the THUSC people who followed RH realize the reasons they were unhappy at THUSC was due to the person they followed to Bridges. It looks like a win win for THUSC in the long run.

Comment

Well I do and it has nothing to do with which people like Rochelle and which people like Kevin.

We've seen a rapid proliferation of new clubs over the last few years and the jury is out as to whether it is a net positive for the game. So how OYSA describes and enforces its standards is interesting, at least to a certain segment of soccer geek, such as myself.

Comment

Well I do and it has nothing to do with which people like Rochelle and which people like Kevin.

We've seen a rapid proliferation of new clubs over the last few years and the jury is out as to whether it is a net positive for the game. So how OYSA describes and enforces its standards is interesting, at least to a certain segment of soccer geek, such as myself.
                              The solution is some form of pro/rel. Make the new club start all its teams in division 2 and earn promotion to oysa Premier.

Comment

I agree it will be interesting to see how OYSA enforces their standards especially since the proliferation of clubs has nothing to do with improving the quality of soccer or bringing new demographics or areas into OYSA and everything to do with money. There is a lot of money to be made in youth soccer.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X