Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    "Our mission statement is to promote the beautiful game of soccer to all teams and youth in the Portland Metro Area that cannot afford the cost of a traditional soccer club and wish to participate in OYSA*sanctioned tournaments and leagues."
    Allowing SCA or these other clubs to play under that banner would be a farce.

Comment

Allowing SCA or these other clubs to play under that banner would be a farce.
      😂 You are obsessed with this club SCA. Isn’t it tiny and about a month old ?

Comment

"Our mission statement is to promote the beautiful game of soccer to all teams and youth in the Portland Metro Area that cannot afford the cost of a traditional soccer club and wish to participate in OYSA*sanctioned tournaments and leagues."
        "cannot afford the cost", how does this apply to SCA?

Comment

�� You are obsessed with this club SCA. Isn’t it tiny and about a month old ?
          Actually kind of tired of the discussion of SCA (other than the whole timeshare thing, that is some solid trolling).

This has more to do with OYSA, whether its statements regarding club standards are meaningful or not.

Comment

"cannot afford the cost", how does this apply to SCA?
            And how does it apply to Bridge City and Oregon United?
            Answer: It doesn’t.

Comment

ADF’s status has changed to non profit
              Probably because they keep losing players 😂

Comment

A conference call about this happened yesterday. OYSA will not allow for profit clubs to play under a non profit entity. If a non profit tries then the non profit will lose its status in OYSA and will not be allowed to play in OYSA leagues.
                It was easy to check on the nonprofit status via Google and links.

IFC is registered with the state and as a 509(a)(2) nonprofit. If I understand, its status can change to simply a 501(c)(3) if its revenue exceeds $25k? Can someone reading this with nonprofit and/or legal expertise explain possible scenarios?

IFC has reported $0 in profit for 3 years of reporting. Sounds like it's in compliance as at least 66% of it's revenue comes from fees collected, grants and donations.

Comment

ADF’s status has changed to non profit
                  The corporate entity that calls itself "academy de futboltraining" has always been a non-profit entity.

The issue is its relationship to Jo's training business, which IS for profit.

If the board of ADF is free to tell Jo to take a hike, and hire another entity for these services, then there's no issue.

If, on the other hand, the ADF board is a rubber-stamp for Jo, and the management of the for-profit entity is really in charge, then ADF ought to be booted out of OYSA if the standard articulated for other clubs is to be applied fairly.

Any time a non-profit's vendors have a seat on the non-profit's board, or anybody works for both the nonprofit and a for-profit vendor, that's a big red flag that the non-profit is not dealing with its associates at arms length, and that it's non-profit status might well be a sham.

Comment

Someone on here has a very specific hate for some new clubs. I wonder if its a personal thing. Yep, seems to be by amount of comments. Must not be an employed individual. Maybe a competing club losing players.

Beyond all that, are you saying what Jo at ADF has been doing is different then say all the OYSA clubs are doing with their personal training or training centers? Or are all those "non profit?" Maybe just paid in cash so no one is the wiser.

Comment

Just trying to understand

Everyone is just trying to understand was a OYSA sanctioned soccer club should be.

These clubs are dealing with kids and parents who just want the best for their kids. It is easy for organizations to take advantage of parents who just want to give their kids the best chance to be successful.

As a club you should be scrutinized and evaluated. Non profits raise money to further their mission not benefit the founders.

Comment

Someone on here has a very specific hate for some new clubs. I wonder if its a personal thing. Yep, seems to be by amount of comments. Must not be an employed individual. Maybe a competing club losing players.

Beyond all that, are you saying what Jo at ADF has been doing is different then say all the OYSA clubs are doing with their personal training or training centers? Or are all those "non profit?" Maybe just paid in cash so no one is the wiser.
                        Well, I've been at an OYSA club for a good while now, and I've never had any coach try to "upsell" us on personal training, or suggest that it is necessary to remain in good standing on club or team. There are a few coaches who do PT if you ask, but most kids aren't doing it--the ones who do generally are the ones with stars in their eyes.

ADF is pretty open about the fact that Jo is a personal trainer, and that he runs a for-profit personal training business, currently doing business as "Finezza Sports", (https://finezzasports.com/), and registered as a domestic LLC (i.e. a for-profit business) under the name "Futboltraining, Inc". (http://egov.sos.state.or.us/br/pkg_w...&p_print=FALSE). None of this is illegal or unusual--except that the entanglement of the for-profit business with the non-profit club might violate OYSA rules. And if SCA or some other emerging entity is being held up by OYSA for being a for-profit entity--well, OYSA just awarded a pair of state cup trophies to an outfit that has been flouting this rule for years.

Even the logos for ADF and Finezza/futboltraining are the same (the F-bomb logo).

FC Portland doesn't do this. OPFC doesn't do this. Nor does PCU. BM might be a snake, but UPDX doesn't do this either. Nor do any of the Alliance clubs.

Your comment is a bit like John Dillinger saying it's OK to rob banks because other people fudge on their taxes sometimes.

Comment

Lol, well I am no bank robber but can name a few in the clubs you've mentioned. Your view and added details are very interesting. If you've worked at all of those or your children have played there I'm really surprised by the fact that you didn't know the coaches were doing this at a couple of your mentioned clubs. Furthermore, my comment didn't state it was ok just the fact that those claiming non profit status are running side businesses, for profit, in which those clubs run their players through. Again, it isn't difficult to find out. It's just choosing to be aware or opening your eyes. Maybe I've just been involved in Oregon soccer too long to know all the background information.

Comment

Lol, well I am no bank robber but can name a few in the clubs you've mentioned. Your view and added details are very interesting. If you've worked at all of those or your children have played there I'm really surprised by the fact that you didn't know the coaches were doing this at a couple of your mentioned clubs. Furthermore, my comment didn't state it was ok just the fact that those claiming non profit status are running side businesses, for profit, in which those clubs run their players through. Again, it isn't difficult to find out. It's just choosing to be aware or opening your eyes. Maybe I've just been involved in Oregon soccer too long to know all the background information.
                            There's a difference between "club coach at nonprofit club does personal training on the side" and "for-profit club operates a sham 501(c)3 to participate in OYSA".

Again, the questions to ask are:

* How involved is club MANAGEMENT (officers, DoC, and the board) with a for-profit entity? Again, I will refer you to the Secretary of State's corporation division website, listing all records that reference "Joquaim Capuia". He's listed as a principle at both ADF and the training business. http://egov.sos.state.or.us/br/pkg_b...&p_print=FALSE

Searching for other prominent DOCs produces nothing. Cony, no hits. FC's DOC, no hits. Nelson at PCU, no hits. Robin at WashT, no hits (though I didn't search the Washington state database). BM and KL, some inactive registrations but nothing current.

The only other local coach that has as many fingers in various pies as Jo is (surprise, surprise) MJ Tate. And MJ, whatever you think of him, isn't on the board or otherwise listed as a principal for any nonprofits.

Comment

Well, I've been at an OYSA club for a good while now, and I've never had any coach try to "upsell" us on personal training, or suggest that it is necessary to remain in good standing on club or team. There are a few coaches who do PT if you ask, but most kids aren't doing it--the ones who do generally are the ones with stars in their eyes.

ADF is pretty open about the fact that Jo is a personal trainer, and that he runs a for-profit personal training business, currently doing business as "Finezza Sports", (https://finezzasports.com/), and registered as a domestic LLC (i.e. a for-profit business) under the name "Futboltraining, Inc". (http://egov.sos.state.or.us/br/pkg_w...&p_print=FALSE). None of this is illegal or unusual--except that the entanglement of the for-profit business with the non-profit club might violate OYSA rules. And if SCA or some other emerging entity is being held up by OYSA for being a for-profit entity--well, OYSA just awarded a pair of state cup trophies to an outfit that has been flouting this rule for years.

Even the logos for ADF and Finezza/futboltraining are the same (the F-bomb logo).

FC Portland doesn't do this. OPFC doesn't do this. Nor does PCU. BM might be a snake, but UPDX doesn't do this either. Nor do any of the Alliance clubs.

Your comment is a bit like John Dillinger saying it's OK to rob banks because other people fudge on their taxes sometimes.
                              Several of the clubs you mentioned offer private training through the club at an additional cost. Just look at their websites. And to mention OPFC as an example of a club that doesn't have directors trying to make money on the side through private training is extremely laughable. Upper 90 anyone?

Comment

Several of the clubs you mentioned offer private training through the club at an additional cost. Just look at their websites. And to mention OPFC as an example of a club that doesn't have directors trying to make money on the side through private training is extremely laughable. Upper 90 anyone?
                                Again, it's not the "clubs offering private training" that's the problem.

It's the "for-profit business masquerading as a non-profit" that's the problem.

At OPFC, the dog wags the tail. If a coach at one of the blue-chip clubs gets out of line in his conduct, or engages in blatant conflicts of interest such as demanding his club players employ him has a trainer or risk being benched or cut, management at such clubs can fire him or her.

At ADF, the tail wags the dog. Joaquim Capuia is in charge of the club, and the board is effectively a rubber-stamp. Were the directors to actually try and restrict his conduct, they would find themselves quickly in charge of a club with no players and no staff, and JC would simply spin up another non-profit faster than you can sa "Rochelle".

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X