Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Still comparing apples to oranges. Poster is saying to end State Cup. All I'm saying is, it is still an event for teams not in the top divisions to be able to still play in front of college coaches they normally wouldn't play in front of.

You guys are missing the point here. Everybody that does CFC United, FSA ECNL, Oakwood and Beachside DA are doing it because they want to have the highest opportunity to play at the highest level.

Previous poster says its fictional, I'm just saying they are wrong. Not saying that the kids will actually play at the school, but they are still getting an opportunity to be seen by those coaches that they normally wouldn't be seen by. Coaches don't necessarily care who you play for, but if you can play. Kids get found all the time not on high level teams.

Kids that are playing in CJSA or CCSL State Cups for the most part recognize they aren't D1 players. There are always kids on these teams that get to D1, D2 and a lot to D3. Some can't afford the 10k to travel all over this country, and even so majority of kids still end up staying in the region.

For the kids that win the state cup, it is still a good opportunity for them to go to a different event and play other state cup winners. I've never said this is a top event or the best soccer. The goal is still to be able to perform at the top of whatever league your in.
    I agree with a few of your points.

In some divisions there are 4 teams. That’s a typical Saturday at a weekend tournament in the 7th flight not a state title.

At a certain point CJSA has to end the madness. Winning the cup carries the same weight as being in the ODP pool. Things that were relevant 10 years ago

Comment

I agree with a few of your points.

In some divisions there are 4 teams. That’s a typical Saturday at a weekend tournament in the 7th flight not a state title.

At a certain point CJSA has to end the madness. Winning the cup carries the same weight as being in the ODP pool. Things that were relevant 10 years ago
      Yeah I don't disagree that its not the best. I think its stupid that there is a US Club State Cup and a CJSA State Cup. If all those teams picked one and played in it, then it would be a bit better at least for that level of play.

All I'm saying is for the older age groups 15-18, even if it is 1 player, they are still playing in front of coaches they normally wouldn't play in front of. Sometimes all it takes is 30 min for a coach to see a kid and like him/her.

I'm not saying winning the state cup means you're the best in the state or anything like that. All I'm talking about is the opportunity to play in front of different college coaches. You can say its terrible or whatever you want, but for the kids that go to Regional's they are still getting more opportunities to be recruited than kids of their same level that don't go.

Comment

Yeah I don't disagree that its not the best. I think its stupid that there is a US Club State Cup and a CJSA State Cup. If all those teams picked one and played in it, then it would be a bit better at least for that level of play.

All I'm saying is for the older age groups 15-18, even if it is 1 player, they are still playing in front of coaches they normally wouldn't play in front of. Sometimes all it takes is 30 min for a coach to see a kid and like him/her.

I'm not saying winning the state cup means you're the best in the state or anything like that. All I'm talking about is the opportunity to play in front of different college coaches. You can say its terrible or whatever you want, but for the kids that go to Regional's they are still getting more opportunities to be recruited than kids of their same level that don't go.
        Well said and you seem to have the correct perspective with this post. On a separate note, was BU really there or did you mean UB?

Comment

Well said and you seem to have the correct perspective with this post. On a separate note, was BU really there or did you mean UB?
          BU is one of the top dogs in the Patriot league and mostly recruits ECNL kids from what I’ve seen. Unless they were targeting a specific kid that seems like a stretch

Comment

BU is one of the top dogs in the Patriot league and mostly recruits ECNL kids from what I’ve seen. Unless they were targeting a specific kid that seems like a stretch
            Men's Boston University coach.

Comment

Men's Boston University coach.
              Is this entire state cup rant coming from a Boy’s parent?

Comment

Is this entire state cup rant coming from a Boy’s parent?
                I suspect it's coming from someone at CJSA

Comment

I get it. My kids are ulittle at OW and there is absolutely no camaraderie on the team. Ok, the kids from Glastonbury that know each other from school get along, or if there are multiples from a town they do too. But the kids treat the other kids really bad on the team and the coaches don't do anything because OW is about the kids learning to develop themselves. This means certain kids get subbed all the time because the kids decide who is the sub. Is a 9 year old going to sub their friend from school or the kid they don't know?

I constantly see the OW kids mess around, kick the balls away from their team mates, bully, yell constantly negative things to their team mates during the game and they are never corrected. Most of the kids think they are the next mia/messi and don't need to pass. OW coaches never seem to correct them and parents think this is good soccer. If their mia/messi dribbles through 3 people before they lose the ball they think that is great. If they dribble through 3 and get a weak shot off that the goalie gets easy they all ooh and ah. Never mind the kid open up ahead that they refuse to pass too.

Look at the scores, they get killed not because they aren't talented or have good instruction. They get killed because most of the kids think they are the greatest players ever and their parents think so too. No need to have camaraderie, pass or play like a team if we are all the best in the CT.

Let's get cynical, cynical
                  I want to get cynical, cynical
                  Let me rant here on and on, on and on
                  Let me rant here on and on........

Thanks Olivia Newton John!

Comment

Another potentially interesting facet to watch is that the still-new Cheshire town premier program kids will be entering HS age soon. It'll be very interesting to see if there's a drop-off due to different club/training the bulk of the players.

Let's sit right back and learn the tale,
                    The tale of a strange soccer club,
                    They tried this premier before,
                    Then it became a flub.

Cheshire Premier's been here before,
                    Focused on its own girls
                    But they seldom had success
                    Despite their lovely curls

So they became the mighty AFC
                    In search of greater fame
                    But still looked as they did before
                    No help from their brand new name

And now the town club tries again
                    Will it work this time
                    Or will it just be as it was before
                    Spawning an average club down the line

Comment

Question Man Responds

No other team has had as much success.
                      How hard is it to be successful when you are the best of the mediocre clubs playing in a watered down competition, abandoned by the best clubs in the state?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X