Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    and every kid gets a lollipop too, right? Sorry, but if my team qualified on the merits, effort, and play of the top 14-15 players, then why should your kid, whose probably the 5th-7th kid off the bench, get playing time at the event they didn't help earn entry into? No thanks, Mr Liberal, My kid is playing. Yours can just stay home.
    ......and everyone should get a medal and ice cream after the game!

Comment

and every kid gets a lollipop too, right? Sorry, but if my team qualified on the merits, effort, and play of the top 14-15 players, then why should your kid, whose probably the 5th-7th kid off the bench, get playing time at the event they didn't help earn entry into? No thanks, Mr Liberal, My kid is playing. Yours can just stay home.
      Staying home is the best option. That helps that player to save in so many different aspects. Probably gives that player a chance to guest play in another team and help them beat your team.

Comment

......and everyone should get a medal and ice cream after the game!
        End of the day we all are playing for FUN.

Comment

It's not about lollipops, trophies or medals at showcase events. The team doesn't matter at that point and all that matter is your kid having a chance to play in front of the college scouts.

How is a player going to get a scholarship if she never gets on the field during the showcase event where the coach came to watch her play?

And don't flatter yourselves, just because a girl starts, does not mean she is much better, if any than the girls coming off the bench. At the top 10 team level, all the girls can play and should be given a chance to show off their play at a tournament. The result for the team means nothing...

Comment

It's not about lollipops, trophies or medals at showcase events. The team doesn't matter at that point and all that matter is your kid having a chance to play in front of the college scouts.

How is a player going to get a scholarship if she never gets on the field during the showcase event where the coach came to watch her play?

And don't flatter yourselves, just because a girl starts, does not mean she is much better, if any than the girls coming off the bench. At the top 10 team level, all the girls can play and should be given a chance to show off their play at a tournament. The result for the team means nothing...
            ...says the parent of the last player on the bench

Comment

...says the parent of the last player on the bench
              Are you afraid a "bench player" is going to steal some attention from the little Mia's that start?

Give everyone a chance to be seen. Good job of coaching and decision making by the coach in the OP's question.

Bravo Coach!!!!!

Comment

Your attitude is funny. Many years ago, my U-10 son was on a team whose parents believed only the starters should play. My son was likely 8th of 9 on the roster at that time as he was a young U-10 and did not have the speed and strength. He proceeded to get 30% play time on average and was chastised by one of the parent assistant coaches for almost any bad touch he had. It was horrible to watch.

We left that program the first chance we got (tryouts). He went to a superior team (Top 4 in the area) and was likely 10th of 11 on the 8v8 roster; however, he developed immensely in that year. His new team beat his old team by at least 2 goals every time we played and my son had progressed beyond most of his old teammates. He probably received closer to 50%-60% play time with the superior team.

Fast forward, my son is starting center mid for an Academy club because he is a two-footed player with vision. Many of his U-10 teammates have quit the sport because they struggled to compete against better players and lacked the concept of team and working hard because they felt entitled.

The only way he developed was to get good coaching on a good team with playing time.

If a player is good enough to be selected to a team, they should be good enough to earn playing time -- even in the showcases. Academy requires all players to get starts and playing time.

If Academy can do it, why can't your club/coach? Is it because they rotate out their worst players every year for other weak players because they treat their bottom couple players as unworthy? Perhaps your coach should focus on developing his players.

Comment

but we're not talking u10, we're talking senior ages, where the top players have separated themselves from the bench players. By now, the coach knows who the players are. So, are you perfectly fine with your kid, who is a starter and top contributor, sitting in favor of the 7th kid on the bench? If you say yes, we know it's bs.

Comment

but we're not talking u10, we're talking senior ages, where the top players have separated themselves from the bench players. By now, the coach knows who the players are. So, are you perfectly fine with your kid, who is a starter and top contributor, sitting in favor of the 7th kid on the bench? If you say yes, we know it's bs.
                    On Academy, my kid only gets about 60% of the starts even though I consider him in the Top 11. I am fine with that because of the level of play and the exposure he gets. It is actually better for him to be fresher for 60% of the games/time than play 3 full games in 3 days with scouts watching.

And, the #22 player is actually a good player. To win in the showcases and highlight your best play, you need a team with depth.

Comment

Again the post is from someone who came for REC and does not understand the competive programs . Bet players play and worst players practice until they can play or there is a B or C team if the club is big enough. Equal fair play in competive travel at any group does not exsit sorry it is not REC soccer everyone plays at REC everyone but TRAVEL SOCCER is not REC understand. Eeven if you pay it does not matter REC SOCCER is not the SAME understand I do not think you get it LMAO !

Comment

Actually my player is an ODP player that never comes off the field in games that matter but....I also believe that players that never play bring a bad attitude which in turn brings down the entire team. Not to mention that those very bench players help pay for everything. If this was a pro team or college team where the players were getting paid instead of PAYING then this attitude would be expected in this case every kid deserves a shot at a Showcase. Especially because I guarantee I wouldn't be able to pick out your superstar from anybody else on the team.

Comment

Of the starting 11 at least half are usually "connected" team mgr kid, assistant coach kid, the BFF of the assistant coach kid, the bff of team mgr kid and the team sponsor's kid. So, yes please play the bench as they have more skill.

Comment

.... what about Ice Cream?

Comment

.... what about Ice Cream?
                              There is always ICE CREAM.

How else to you expect to keep the tubby kids that play defense and goalie happy after the game?

O No she Didn't....

Comment

Top 11 play all game or everybody plays

Your attitude is funny. Many years ago, my U-10 son was on a team whose parents believed only the starters should play. My son was likely 8th of 9 on the roster at that time as he was a young U-10 and did not have the speed and strength. He proceeded to get 30% play time on average and was chastised by one of the parent assistant coaches for almost any bad touch he had. It was horrible to watch.

We left that program the first chance we got (tryouts). He went to a superior team (Top 4 in the area) and was likely 10th of 11 on the 8v8 roster; however, he developed immensely in that year. His new team beat his old team by at least 2 goals every time we played and my son had progressed beyond most of his old teammates. He probably received closer to 50%-60% play time with the superior team.

Fast forward, my son is starting center mid for an Academy club because he is a two-footed player with vision. Many of his U-10 teammates have quit the sport because they struggled to compete against better players and lacked the concept of team and working hard because they felt entitled.

The only way he developed was to get good coaching on a good team with playing time.

If a player is good enough to be selected to a team, they should be good enough to earn playing time -- even in the showcases. Academy requires all players to get starts and playing time.

If Academy can do it, why can't your club/coach? Is it because they rotate out their worst players every year for other weak players because they treat their bottom couple players as unworthy? Perhaps your coach should focus on developing his players.
                                Sir, you are exactly right! Congratulations on your son's excelling and moving up and onward. His former coach should have spent more time on player development and less time focusing on winning a game. Want to make an enduring difference in a player's life? Give him what he needs: development, not a medal or trophy.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X