Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top 11 play all game or everybody plays

My Child plays for a top 10 competitive team and her coach is of the mentality that all players play. They are an older team ( meaning U15 or above) with a few new players. Both goalies rotate (1 game each) even though one is superior. Our games are very competitive going against top competition. After a tough loss the next days game the coach tells the played those who didn't play much yesterday will start. Is it me or am I crazy thinking the coach is nuts? They only have a little bit of an opportunity to get noticed to hopefully get a scholarship which will make all of the hours, miles and money we spend finally justified.

For league games I say everyone plays....Top 11 play more minutes, but bench gets some quality minutes...You never know when one of the top 11 can gets hurt....When it comes to tournaments and State Cup...Top 11 play

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      For league games I say everyone plays....Top 11 play more minutes, but bench gets some quality minutes...You never know when one of the top 11 can gets hurt....When it comes to tournaments and State Cup...Top 11 play
      EveryOne Pays, EveryOne Plays!
      Everyone should get a medal regardless of the outcome!

Comment

My Child plays for a top 10 competitive team and her coach is of the mentality that all players play. They are an older team ( meaning U15 or above) with a few new players. Both goalies rotate (1 game each) even though one is superior. Our games are very competitive going against top competition. After a tough loss the next days game the coach tells the played those who didn't play much yesterday will start. Is it me or am I crazy thinking the coach is nuts? They only have a little bit of an opportunity to get noticed to hopefully get a scholarship which will make all of the hours, miles and money we spend finally justified.
        During tryouts, was there a position called "Bench Players"?
        Did they make everyone to sit on the bench and see who looks pretty next to the COACH?
        Are the "Bench Players" do not spend hours, miles and money?

Comment

For U15 and below, development takes precedent over "getting noticed".

No college scouts are watching the U11-U15 games, so that's the time to develop all of your players.

For U16 and above, play the top 11 if it's a showcase event where "getting noticed" matters. For league play, play everyone.

Comment

if all players are putting in the same amount of time and effort, then the coach, during league games, should try to play as many players as they can - hopefully without compromising the outcome of the game. the larger the club I would say you probably have a top 12-14 players, and yes, those over 11 should play as much as the others. for tournaments, showcases, your usual starters should have it but again, depends on the tournament too. a lower-mid level tournament might be what your bench needs to be seen (CDL showcase, orange classic). for SC, top players.

Comment

During tryouts, was there a position called "Bench Players"?
              Did they make everyone to sit on the bench and see who looks pretty next to the COACH?
              Are the "Bench Players" do not spend hours, miles and money?
              You must be the parent responsible for bringing orange slices and Capri Suns.

I agree that in league play the bench players need quality minutes to develop them for State Cup and other tournaments. If the coach starts bench players next game because they "didn't play as much" is garbage.

It is competitive soccer, if you want more playing time....EARN IT!

Comment

A youth soccer coach's job is development, its pretty simple. Did you try out for a "showcase" team or a "State Cup" team. If you want to be ready for SC (or Region Cup at younger ages) then you had better develop all of your players. That takes playing time.

Comment

You must be the parent responsible for bringing orange slices and Capri Suns.

I agree that in league play the bench players need quality minutes to develop them for State Cup and other tournaments. If the coach starts bench players next game because they "didn't play as much" is garbage.

It is competitive soccer, if you want more playing time....EARN IT!
                  How do you define "EARN IT"? How did your daughter EARN IT?

Comment

Everyone should play almost equal minutes. If he forgot to put in some players in a previous game, no problem in them starting the next game. They are also trying to get noticed and a get a scholarship, not just the typical starters.

Everyone should have the chance to "showcase" themselves at the showcase tournaments.

Comment

A youth soccer coach's job is development, its pretty simple. Did you try out for a "showcase" team or a "State Cup" team. If you want to be ready for SC (or Region Cup at younger ages) then you had better develop all of your players. That takes playing time.
                      Sorry, but if you try out for a showcase team, you know that playing time is not guaranteed

Comment

For U16 and above, play the top 11 if it's a showcase event where "getting noticed" matters. For league play, play everyone.

Even more reason for all players to get time. If it is a truly competitive team, the difference between the "top 11" and the "bench players" is probably small. Keeping in mind the roles were decided by the coach or in the case of this thread, the parents. So if the difference is slight, why would the slightly better get all of the benefit at the showcase? As a youth coach, your objective is to prepare ALL of your players for the next level. As a club your objective is to get opportunities at the next level for as many as you can. If a coach cant play all of his players without confidence, it is his/her own fault.

If colleges are watching a player, they will have had communication with that player and the coach. They can talk about whether they are going to play the first half or second or this game vs. that game. Or they can talk about the other opportunities in the schedule.

Comment

I think its a long season. We are just starting out. I believe in a rotation. I am not always sold on starters and bench players. If this is a highly competitive team then they should all be at that level. I would review my line up as a coach depending on various factors such as practice during the week, player strength, rest needed, etc. If you are a really busy team, the coach should manage the system. There will always be a few that get more minutes but overall it will all equal out. I would not give this much thought this early on.

Comment

Sorry, but if you try out for a showcase team, you know that playing time is not guaranteed
                            Actually unless it is State Cup or something of that nature it should be equal time. Showcase tournaments are about Showcasing every player on the team. Our club mandates that every player on the team gets equal time in a Showcase. In other words if the coach picked the player at try-outs then that player should be played...as the previous poster said...bench position is not a position.
                            Showcase tournaments are not about winning or losing once you get to that point. College Coach's are not there to see just the top 11. Those coach's may be a Div 3 team or NAIA and are looking to fill their roster too.

So clearly you have lost sight of what a SHOWCASE is showcasing....all the players on a team.

Comment

Actually unless it is State Cup or something of that nature it should be equal time. Showcase tournaments are about Showcasing every player on the team. Our club mandates that every player on the team gets equal time in a Showcase. In other words if the coach picked the player at try-outs then that player should be played...as the previous poster said...bench position is not a position.
                              Showcase tournaments are not about winning or losing once you get to that point. College Coach's are not there to see just the top 11. Those coach's may be a Div 3 team or NAIA and are looking to fill their roster too.

So clearly you have lost sight of what a SHOWCASE is showcasing....all the players on a team.
                              and every kid gets a lollipop too, right? Sorry, but if my team qualified on the merits, effort, and play of the top 14-15 players, then why should your kid, whose probably the 5th-7th kid off the bench, get playing time at the event they didn't help earn entry into? No thanks, Mr Liberal, My kid is playing. Yours can just stay home.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X