Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who dribbles too much?

Having watched much of the WC so far, one takeaway is that the few widely regarded superstars of scoring all dribble into trouble far too often.
    What is their ratio of turnover to goal-it seems quite high so far?
    Other than Costa’s fantastic run for Spain, majority of goals are based on set pieces or passing oriented counter attacks.
    Is their too heavy a reliance on dribbling in our development programs?
    I say “yes” as 2 or 3 touch passing rule the game.

What say you...?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Having watched much of the WC so far, one takeaway is that the few widely regarded superstars of scoring all dribble into trouble far too often.
    Other than Costa’s fantastic run for Spain, majority of goals are based on set pieces or passing oriented counter attacks.

What say you...?
    It’s like rewarding LeBron James when he goes 1v4:it works 2 out of 10 times but looks great

Comment

I see more bad passes than anything.

Comment

What say you...?
        I say that I hope you have absolutely nothing to do with training young players. If you were Messi's (or any number of all time great DIFFERENCE MAKER players) father or coach as a young player, he'd probably be an accountant right now somewhere in the hills of Argentina.

Comment

What say you...?
          It's important for players to learn when to dribble and when to pass, and develop the skills necessary to recognize and thrive in each situation. Generally, I see the South/Central American teams have this issue. They have to set up the perfect shot, and frequently take extra touches in shooting positions instead of just shooting. No idea why this is.
          There is no reliance on this in US Soccer. Take a look at young, talented wingers from other countries. Even midfielders and forwards. They all run at defenders much more than our players do. It isn't so much that our players aren't taught to, but that in many cases players aren't encouraged to by coaches. They would be much happier passing the ball backwards and keeping possession.

Comment

What say you...?
            I dribble too much in my sleep🤤🤤

Comment

I dribble too much in my sleep🤤🤤
              Most great dribbling involves movement of the body vs movement of the ball

Comment

It's important for players to learn when to dribble and when to pass, and develop the skills necessary to recognize and thrive in each situation. Generally, I see the South/Central American teams have this issue. They have to set up the perfect shot, and frequently take extra touches in shooting positions instead of just shooting. No idea why this is.
                There is no reliance on this in US Soccer. Take a look at young, talented wingers from other countries. Even midfielders and forwards. They all run at defenders much more than our players do. It isn't so much that our players aren't taught to, but that in many cases players aren't encouraged to by coaches. They would be much happier passing the ball backwards and keeping possession.
                This is 100% true. At my daughters club, she would get her head ripped off for dribbling and taking on a defender. Much safer to pass and keep possession.

Comment

This is 100% true. At my daughters club, she would get her head ripped off for dribbling and taking on a defender. Much safer to pass and keep possession.
                  I hope you are joking. If you're paying for club soccer and the coach won't let your player take on a defender, you need to out the club here and leave immediately. That club and that coach has no business being anywhere near a youth soccer field.

Risk vs reward. Where on the pitch are you with the ball? How many team mates are behind the ball if you lose possession? How many defenders are in front of you and is there space behind or a shot on goal if you beat the defender? It is really that simple.

Comment

Soccer culture = over-dribbling

Comment

Soccer culture = over-dribbling
                      Lack of soccer culture = lack of individual skill and creativity in the attack

Comment

Everybody and nobody.

We dribble way to much in the wrong situations. We dribble not enough in the right situation. The problem is our coaches are not teaching players how to read the game and players don’t have the IQ to figure it out. Coaches also do not allow players to figure it out due penalizing most if they make a mistake and take them out of the game instead of correcting them in the moment and explaining what they wanted in that situation. Players don’t understand that it is situational and that not every time you get the ball you do this or that. As both posters before said we don’t have a culture of watching high level soccer and understanding what they are watching. We also don’t teach players risk and reward and when we should dribble. We dribble to much to show off our skills we have learned rather than dribbling for purpose or to penetrate.

Dribbling should always have a purpose. I break dribbling down by 3 types:

1) Dribble to Penetrate - take players on in any part of the field if you are able to penetrate to shot or pass to somebody that can shot. This could be any position on the field based on risk and reward.

2) Dribble Out of Trouble - when you receive a pass under pressure and you have no other option but to dribble to get out of pressure. Dribble until you find a player with time and space. Don’t care the direction or the player. Knock it all the way back to the keeper and reset if That is the best option. Just don’t turn into pressure and force dribbling forward.

3) Dribble to Dribble - this is what most players do in this country. They dribble with no purpose and do 10 step overs, 3 scissors, 2 pull backs and anything else and go nowhere and lose the ball in dangerous parts of the field.

Soccer is a very simple but extremely complex sport. You have so many options and each option has pluses and minuses that you have to process extremely quick. Coaches and parents have the advantage of seeing a larger picture of the game and forget that players see what they are able to see. Some see the entire field and some only know the color of the grass or turf. Most are somewhere in between depending on the pressure and level of thebplayer.

Comment

Everybody and nobody.

We dribble way to much in the wrong situations. We dribble not enough in the right situation. The problem is our coaches are not teaching players how to read the game and players don’t have the IQ to figure it out. Coaches also do not allow players to figure it out due penalizing most if they make a mistake and take them out of the game instead of correcting them in the moment and explaining what they wanted in that situation. Players don’t understand that it is situational and that not every time you get the ball you do this or that. As both posters before said we don’t have a culture of watching high level soccer and understanding what they are watching. We also don’t teach players risk and reward and when we should dribble. We dribble to much to show off our skills we have learned rather than dribbling for purpose or to penetrate.

1) Dribble to Penetrate - take players on in any part of the field if you are able to penetrate to shot or pass to somebody that can shot. This could be any position on the field based on risk and reward.
                          I think the original poster was concerned about over dribbling in the offensive end. In the back 3rd or middle 3rd, you rarely see risky dribbling. At the WC level, dribbling in this areas is usually to get out of trouble or maybe a safe area to penetrate a soft spot. The last thing you want to do is turn the ball over in this area. When you get into the offensive third, the defense is more compact making passing more difficult to connect. So as a player, this is where you take more chances and risk with individual playmaking. And obviously the added risk comes with bigger rewards. GOOOAAAAAAAALLLLLL!!!!!!!

Comment

Everybody and nobody.

2) Dribble Out of Trouble - when you receive a pass under pressure and you have no other option but to dribble to get out of pressure. Dribble until you find a player with time and space. Don’t care the direction or the player. Knock it all the way back to the keeper and reset if That is the best option. Just don’t turn into pressure and force dribbling forward.

3) Dribble to Dribble - this is what most players do in this country. They dribble with no purpose and do 10 step overs, 3 scissors, 2 pull backs and anything else and go nowhere and lose the ball in dangerous parts of the field.

Soccer is a very simple but extremely complex sport. You have so many options and each option has pluses and minuses that you have to process extremely quick. Coaches and parents have the advantage of seeing a larger picture of the game and forget that players see what they are able to see. Some see the entire field and some only know the color of the grass or turf. Most are somrewhere in between depending on the pressure and level of thebplayer.
                            #3 is a direct result of the promotion of Christian Ronaldo-he is the face of useless stepovers, but it sells jerseys

Comment

#3 is a direct result of the promotion of Christian Ronaldo-he is the face of useless stepovers, but it sells jerseys
                              This is the dumbest post I have ever read on TS, and as we all know the competition is fierce.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X