why GPS are so bad for American soccer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ha ha. Totally not the case. I drive her to practice and pick her up. I don't stay and watch. I watch her games. I always have a game on around the house. When she was younger she'd go to my games with me, but doesn't have time any longer.

The rest is all her.

But, since y'all into attack mode I'll step away.

You win! Go back to eating twinkies on the beach and trashing GPS.

Comment

I'm not the OP you're directing this reply to, but I think it's a big leap from a supportive parent to Todd Marinovich's old man. That guy was certifiable. Maybe we should start a TS thread about all-time psycho sports parents.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Sad when a stranger is more worried about your daughter's knees than you.
        Not the OP, but this is certifiable. Talk about a bunch of snowflakes and helicopter parents. 30 years ago, kids would have been outside running and playing and riding their bike until dark and parents wouldn't have cared. Now, some internet troll thinks a parent who lets their kid pursue a passion is wrong because they heard from some other parent it may be hard on their knees.

You seriously need to not talk about things you have zero understanding about ("overuse") especially given you have no idea what this kid's training regimen is, her medical history or her family's medical history, her body type, etc. All play a part. Hell, I have torn cartilage in both my knees from years of ski racing, playing soccer, carrying too much weight on my back in the Infantry, and the last ten years being overweight while still trying to stay fit running and playing indoor soccer. So which of the above caused the injury to my knees? My doctor doesn't know, I don't know, and neither do you.

Bottom line, let the kids play and leave them alone. If their passionate and want it, they will do it anyway. If they blow out their knees like me at 40, there is always reconstructive surgery.

Comment

Not the OP, but this is certifiable. Talk about a bunch of snowflakes and helicopter parents. 30 years ago, kids would have been outside running and playing and riding their bike until dark and parents wouldn't have cared. Now, some internet troll thinks a parent who lets their kid pursue a passion is wrong because they heard from some other parent it may be hard on their knees.

You seriously need to not talk about things you have zero understanding about ("overuse") especially given you have no idea what this kid's training regimen is, her medical history or her family's medical history, her body type, etc. All play a part. Hell, I have torn cartilage in both my knees from years of ski racing, playing soccer, carrying too much weight on my back in the Infantry, and the last ten years being overweight while still trying to stay fit running and playing indoor soccer. So which of the above caused the injury to my knees? My doctor doesn't know, I don't know, and neither do you.

Bottom line, let the kids play and leave them alone. If their passionate and want it, they will do it anyway. If they blow out their knees like me at 40, there is always reconstructive surgery.
          Thanks for your service.

Since you have zero understanding of my experience with overuse injuries among adolescent athletes you should probably take your own advice.

Comment

Thanks for your service.

Since you have zero understanding of my experience with overuse injuries among adolescent athletes you should probably take your own advice.
            How do we stop Gps making millions of dollars at our expense
            As they ruin our game

Comment

How do we stop Gps making millions of dollars at our expense
              As they ruin our game
              Start your own club, bring over everyone you want, train them better.

Comment

Start your own club, bring over everyone you want, train them better.
                GPS has got it right.
                9 year olds should be traveling to Barcelona.
                The trip will build their love of the game, and that is what we need to get soccer going in the US.

Comment

Soccer is already "going" in the US -- huge participation numbers, in case you have not heard.

What we don't have is enough history with the game to have created a way to generate good coaches. Even the coaches with playing experience are not likely to have had quality coaching/ training themselves regarding the most important foot skill/ ball control/ solid passing/game vision and playing IQ aspects of the beautiful game.

And while importing some coaches from abroad may help, most of the UK-bred 20-somethings that GPS brings over do not meet the standard I am speaking of.

The US tries to compensate with athleticism and year-round playing, but the latter often just means more opportunities to practice bad habits. The athleticism can cover up what is lacking initially, but that stops working against better competition.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X