Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Like she would want to have anything to do with a basic old teeny tiny fool like you. Evolve.
    Evolve?
    It is requirements like those listed that have prevented soccer in this country from evolving.

Comment

Someone with an eye for talent has the ability to see what isn't there yet.
      Nostradamus??

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2209874]
        1. Passion for the game
        2. Great attitude especially when things don't go well
        3. High work rate
        4. Technical skills must be exceptional
        5. Decision making must be fantastic
        6. Speed & Quickness
        7. Shooting: Power AND shot placement[/QUOTE

1, 2, and 3 are solid attributes to be looking for in an 11 yr old.
        They will lend themselves to future development.
        4-7 are what is wrong with youth soccer-those requirements are not met by most MLS players and to ascribe them to 11 yr olds is ridiculous. If kids are to be judged with those words, nobody will rise to u12.
        It is the job of youth coaches to teach those with 1-3 to achieve 4-7, maybe not 6, as that is a purely physical gift, though it may develop later in age.

Does a child at 11 need to test like this in order to apply to MIT?
        Pretty sure the list is relative to age, nobody expects an 11 year old to strike a ball as hard or precise as a professional. However, you can expect the kid to strike it correctly and consistency that will pay off as growth and maturity evolve. Save for a few outliers, I'm pretty sure I can predict who the exceptional players will be at u8, top of DA roster types. The rest of the roster would be much harder to predict

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2210152]

Pretty sure the list is relative to age, nobody expects an 11 year old to strike a ball as hard or precise as a professional. However, you can expect the kid to strike it correctly and consistency that will pay off as growth and maturity evolve. Save for a few outliers, I'm pretty sure I can predict who the exceptional players will be at u8, top of DA roster types. The rest of the roster would be much harder to predict
          Generally, I agree. One girl I first saw at U8 and said "she has it", does. A few others I thought might, haven't kept it. A couple who you thought "ooof...maybe", turns out they do.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2210152]

Can you help me pick stocks or horses.

I’d like to know what coaches have taught 7 yr olds the above criteria, but I see your point.
            Same for baseball, football, basketball, horseback riding, curling and the next CEO of Apple, right?

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2210378]

Can you help me pick stocks or horses.

I’d like to know what coaches have taught 7 yr olds the above criteria, but I see your point.
              Same for baseball, football, basketball, horseback riding, curling and the next CEO of Apple, right?
              What we are talking about is the 2-3 best players in an age group in a club- not that hard. When you start dwindling down to best in State, Region, Nation, National Team then it gets hard. My guess is these kids can be identified with some certainty in their sweet spot early. Talking outliers not general population.

And coaches can't coach some of the intangibles, thats what seperates kids...even at young ages. Disagree with shooting, I think the other attributes are easy to identify though

Comment

I once read that the Barcelona scouts were described as searching for kids who moved differently than others as if they were attached to the ball and they didn't "kick" the ball they "caressed" it. For them it was all about the kids ball control at the younger ages.

I think you can pick out the very few kids with the "it" factor. Indeed they move with ball differently. Very close control. They are the ones who emerge from triple teams with the ball and ahead of their markers.

Comment

I once read that the Barcelona scouts were described as searching for kids who moved differently than others as if they were attached to the ball and they didn't "kick" the ball they "caressed" it. For them it was all about the kids ball control at the younger ages.

I think you can pick out the very few kids with the "it" factor. Indeed they move with ball differently. Very close control. They are the ones who emerge from triple teams with the ball and ahead of their markers.
                  Nice, poetry on TS. Unfortunately coaches prefer players “full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.”

Comment

And you have most coaches getting irate if a player takes on 3 defenders, even if they are successful half the time... talent is constantly squashed in our country...

Comment

And you have most coaches getting irate if a player takes on 3 defenders, even if they are successful half the time... talent is constantly squashed in our country...
                      I think the opposite. We are full of little Leos who like to dribble and have no vision. Horrible.

Comment

Dribbling and close contact with the ball are not the same thing.
                        Dribbling is way overrated in this country-it should be used solely as a way to measure ball control.
                        Ability to control on first touch is by far the most important skill.

Comment

That's an awfully high turnover rate. Doubt many coaches would let that fly without adjusting a player. The thing is though, there are kids that you can see that are in control of the ball and learning to deal with the pressure so that you can see that the turnover percentage will improve. That is the talent everyone is looking for and it is obvious. The rest of the kids are just ball hogs who listen to their dad's dreams of soccer glory.

Comment

That's an awfully high turnover rate. Doubt many coaches would let that fly without adjusting a player. The thing is though, there are kids that you can see that are in control of the ball and learning to deal with the pressure so that you can see that the turnover percentage will improve. That is the talent everyone is looking for and it is obvious. The rest of the kids are just ball hogs who listen to their dad's dreams of soccer glory.
                            And the flip side is this country has so few players with any creativity in the final third that we struggle to score goals. The ones with any skill go overseas... and rightly so. Coaches, parents, players all jealous of those with skill and creativity on the ball constantly yell "pass the ball", when it's obvious those yelling pass have no idea how to move off the ball to get open for a pass.

Comment

High work rate will get even a mediocre player noticed. High work rate is the key to standing out.

Comment

And the flip side is this country has so few players with any creativity in the final third that we struggle to score goals. The ones with any skill go overseas... and rightly so. Coaches, parents, players all jealous of those with skill and creativity on the ball constantly yell "pass the ball", when it's obvious those yelling pass have no idea how to move off the ball to get open for a pass.
                                Thank you! I have seen plain ol' ball hogs but I have also seen plenty of the above. This often happens when a player has outgrown their team and there is too big a gap in playing ability. Jealousy sets in over the player who can control the ball keeping the ball for long stretches while the other players lag behind the play.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X