Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Premier and/or supplemental for u12 boy

I assume this has been asked before but cant find a past thread. I'm new to this board and I'm hoping to find at least a couple of useful answers.

We moved to Fairfield County from Chicago where our son played for a DA club called Sockers. We never looked for a club or tried out for anything. He did a junior's class when he was 6 and we stayed because he loved it so much. We moved to FC this fall, so we were lucky to have him added to our town team. While he met a lot of nice boys, it's clear that he needs much more. The kids are not as committed to the sport and he gets frustrated playing.

Our old club's director wants to call Kydes at Beachside but everything we hear from other parents and from reading this board (though I take that with a grain of salt) suggests the club is not for us. Sockers was so well run with wonderful coaches and while it was a very intense program, there were no *****h*le parents and the vibe was great.

We're not looking to turn our son into a USMNT player (or even a college player). We just want a program that is filled with kids who are dedicated to the sport, that trains them hard and teaches skills, and has "normal" parents (though I hear that may be tough to find here). We don't care if its DA or what league the club plays in. We also don't want to travel down to Westchester or up to New Haven/Hartford.

What are some good options?
    -Everton
    -Revolution
    -Ole Select
    -JA Select
    -Rush
    -CFC
    -Pythons
    -Shoreline
    -Chelsea Piers

I can't have him try out (or attend practice) at more than 2-3 places. How does one even compare these options? Have I missed any options?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I assume this has been asked before but cant find a past thread. I'm new to this board and I'm hoping to find at least a couple of useful answers.

We moved to Fairfield County from Chicago where our son played for a DA club called Sockers. We never looked for a club or tried out for anything. He did a junior's class when he was 6 and we stayed because he loved it so much. We moved to FC this fall, so we were lucky to have him added to our town team. While he met a lot of nice boys, it's clear that he needs much more. The kids are not as committed to the sport and he gets frustrated playing.

Our old club's director wants to call Kydes at Beachside but everything we hear from other parents and from reading this board (though I take that with a grain of salt) suggests the club is not for us. Sockers was so well run with wonderful coaches and while it was a very intense program, there were no *****h*le parents and the vibe was great.

We're not looking to turn our son into a USMNT player (or even a college player). We just want a program that is filled with kids who are dedicated to the sport, that trains them hard and teaches skills, and has "normal" parents (though I hear that may be tough to find here). We don't care if its DA or what league the club plays in. We also don't want to travel down to Westchester or up to New Haven/Hartford.

-Everton
    -Revolution
    -Ole Select
    -JA Select
    -Rush
    -CFC
    -Pythons
    -Shoreline
    -Chelsea Piers

I can't have him try out (or attend practice) at more than 2-3 places. How does one even compare these options? Have I missed any options?
    What town do you live in? If you want something convenient than this would depend on where in FC you live. How far are you willing to drive?

Comment

Everton- if he makes their top team! They have a very good curriculum at the younger ages. And all the players that play on their top team are committed.

Comment

Everton- if he makes their top team! They have a very good curriculum at the younger ages. And all the players that play on their top team are committed.
        Agreed. Everton is the best fit for that age and dedication level. And Fairfield to Norwalk even has some back road options (136) on "those" highway days.

Comment

Quit soccer and find another sport. Can't you see the vitriol, jealousy, and insecurity if the northeast soccer parents?! Seriously, move or change sports. There is nothing close to Sockers near you. Go to NY Red Bulls or NYCFC or take up baseball. Fairfield County is a great baseball area ..... Decent for hockey too. Soccer parents around here are off the hook ...... Don't take my word for it though just read the posts in this site for about 15 minutes. So many will smile to your face and then work their angle behind your back to keep your kid down. Welcome to CT and good luck.

Comment

Quit soccer and find another sport. Can't you see the vitriol, jealousy, and insecurity if the northeast soccer parents?! Seriously, move or change sports. There is nothing close to Sockers near you. Go to NY Red Bulls or NYCFC or take up baseball. Fairfield County is a great baseball area ..... Decent for hockey too. Soccer parents around here are off the hook ...... Don't take my word for it though just read the posts in this site for about 15 minutes. So many will smile to your face and then work their angle behind your back to keep your kid down. Welcome to CT and good luck.
            Therapy not working from old wounds? It's ok, just walk away from the computer. 3 deep breaths....come on. You got this.
            Why are you on TS if you dislike soccer so much? It's not good for your health.

You got this!

-NYCFC

Comment

-Everton
              -Revolution
              -Ole Select
              -JA Select
              -Rush
              -CFC
              -Pythons
              -Shoreline
              -Chelsea Piers

Everton (if top team) or I'd add AC CT (Newtown in winter, Danbury spring). You can do tryouts anytime simply by calling clubs and asking to attend a few practices. In winter there won't be as many sessions but hopefully more will start practicing outside soon.

As far as travel, unfortunately the better teams play in the regional leagues that require more travel. At this point in CT, teams that only play in state are very weak and generally not worth the time and money.

Comment

Therapy not working from old wounds? It's ok, just walk away from the computer. 3 deep breaths....come on. You got this.
                Why are you on TS if you dislike soccer so much? It's not good for your health.

You got this!

-NYCFC
                Love soccer, but the parents are unbelievably nuts.

Comment

Love soccer, but the parents are unbelievably nuts.
                  Do you love hairy or hairless nuts

Comment

-Everton
                    -Revolution
                    -Ole Select
                    -JA Select
                    -Rush
                    -CFC
                    -Pythons
                    -Shoreline
                    -Chelsea Piers

I also have a U12 that plays very competitive. He actually played for Beachside two years
                    and made the academy team but in the end we decided to leave. Beachside taught him a great deal about the game and the organization does a great job in the first touch and passing aspect of the game however in the end it just wasn't a fit. We went back to the town premier team and added supplemental training via PDP which is run by John Curtis. Since he's left he's developed at a much faster rate that I would expect. Coaches with A,B & C licences have told me so. I really feel being a big fish in a small pond has helped his confidence which was one of the elements missing while we were at Beachside. Not blaming the organization or the coaches it just wasn't a fit for my son. Understanding the my son won't develop technically with the town premier team the supplemental training that he gets from the PDP programs has been AWESOME!! this is where he's developing and John and his staff does an outstanding job teaching.. Note: Most of the kids in PDP play for academy teams. If you are in Fairfield county and stuck on a Town TRAVEL team then you need to have a conversation with the boys director and rostered on the premier team. Tryout s for PDP are in in the next few weeks. you can go on the CCSL website and findout more info relating to the PDP program. Good luck!

Comment

As someone who genuinely cares for youth and their development and with respect to your preferences, here is my two cents.

Top option closest to Sockers would be NYCFC. Next step down would be Fairfield United/Ole or Everton. Chelsea Piers also has a decent upcoming program, CFC is hit or miss depending on which branch you join.

The others you listed, Rush, Pythons, Revolution, Shoreline are nothing more than travel programs. There are travel programs better than those to be honest.

Ask around bout finding a local coach who does private lessons. I would give you names but the bashing would ensue and I don't want to do that to these guys. One of my sons private coaches has helped his development and confidence more than anything our current club offers, super technical and local to FC.

Comment

As someone who genuinely cares for youth and their development and with respect to your preferences, here is my two cents.

Top option closest to Sockers would be NYCFC. Next step down would be Fairfield United/Ole or Everton. Chelsea Piers also has a decent upcoming program, CFC is hit or miss depending on which branch you join.

The others you listed, Rush, Pythons, Revolution, Shoreline are nothing more than travel programs. There are travel programs better than those to be honest.

Ask around bout finding a local coach who does private lessons. I would give you names but the bashing would ensue and I don't want to do that to these guys. One of my sons private coaches has helped his development and confidence more than anything our current club offers, super technical and local to FC.
                        Post like this confuse people. Obviously you don't know about soccer. Fusa/Ole is a town travel program and they also have the premier option but NOT in every age group. Rush, Pythons, Revolution, Shoreline, etc are all PREMIER programs and do not have the TOWN Travel option. There is a big difference here... I will suggest Revolution, their coaches are the best around. Rush would be the second option. Everton has A, B, C, D, E teams in the same age group.... which means they take ANY prayer... so I am sure if you just call them, they put you in for the A team, for free.. because the B, C, D and E parent will pay for you....

Comment

They have prayer? What is it a soccer club or a cult?

Comment

Post like this confuse people. Obviously you don't know about soccer. Fusa/Ole is a town travel program and they also have the premier option but NOT in every age group. Rush, Pythons, Revolution, Shoreline, etc are all PREMIER programs and do not have the TOWN Travel option. There is a big difference here... I will suggest Revolution, their coaches are the best around. Rush would be the second option. Everton has A, B, C, D, E teams in the same age group.... which means they take ANY prayer... so I am sure if you just call them, they put you in for the A team, for free.. because the B, C, D and E parent will pay for you....
                            Now you are confusing people. Everton doesn't have that that many teams per age groups

Everton top teams are much better than Rush. Rush caters to two sport athletes. Revolution is a good option.

Comment

No, posts like yours confuse people. I am very familiar with the CT soccer landscape. FUSA/OLE is a town travel program with its OWN premier branch. And they have a very good premier option for boys as does Everton. Maybe you are the one that was confused.

I never said rush, pythons, revolution had a town travel option. I said there are town travel programs that are BETTER than these so called "premier" clubs. They are NOT good clubs for developing a serious soccer player.

Revolution is a third or fourth tier option here in CT are are the rest of those. Maybe you don't know who the Sockers are, but you don't go from Sockers to Revolution.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X