Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Many soccer families can afford the cost differential between any packages awarded (athletic and/or merit) and what's left on the bill. If a school costs $60K but half is knocked off, that's $30 EFC. Have your kid take out the Federal loan max which drops it down to $24K (I'm a big believer that kids should have some skin in the game and if they do the max they graduated with about $25K in debt, a very manageable amount that maybe parents can help with after graduation). Just having their kid out of club soccer frees up $6500+ that can go towards college. Hopefully they can toss in some 529 money and now a great academic $60K school is very affordable. That's the end game around here.
    My point was previous poster says that most soccer families aren't looking for money... Just acceptance into better school. Your formula assumes 50% package. I'd call that looking for money.

Comment

My point was previous poster says that most soccer families aren't looking for money... Just acceptance into better school. Your formula assumes 50% package. I'd call that looking for money.
      Different poster - I'd argue that while they're not necessarily looking for money, they're more than happy to take it when they can get it. A good player that targets their programs appropriately should get 40-60% at a fully funded program (girls; boys is totally different).
      Overall, however, it's the leg up to a better school that drives decisions far more than the package just because many families can afford at least a large portion of a tuition bill

Comment

Different poster - I'd argue that while they're not necessarily looking for money, they're more than happy to take it when they can get it. A good player that targets their programs appropriately should get 40-60% at a fully funded program (girls; boys is totally different).
        Overall, however, it's the leg up to a better school that drives decisions far more than the package just because many families can afford at least a large portion of a tuition bill
        Former obsessed soccer dad here. I can tell you that getting 25-30k from average state university was not my end game. It was assistance in getting into a top tier school that will payoff from an educational and networking perspective and will set my player up for a higher average starting and or mid career salary than the one she would get from average state university. I can tell you that d1 commitment is high and does encroach on the educational experience and the players personal time over the 4 years, So nothing is for free.

Nothing wrong with saving some cash, but just isn’t everyones end game.

Comment

Former obsessed soccer dad here. I can tell you that getting 25-30k from average state university was not my end game. It was assistance in getting into a top tier school that will payoff from an educational and networking perspective and will set my player up for a higher average starting and or mid career salary than the one she would get from average state university. I can tell you that d1 commitment is high and does encroach on the educational experience and the players personal time over the 4 years, So nothing is for free.

Or use it to gain admissions to a top D3 school. Plenty of soccer families can afford that as well with less commitment than D1.

Comment

Or use it to gain admissions to a top D3 school. Plenty of soccer families can afford that as well with less commitment than D1.
            Good D3 is less commitment but not as much less as you think

Comment

Everyone's end game is entirely different. For some soccer is all about the hook to potentially get into the Ivy's. For others it's the chase to get on a P5 roster and play at the highest level possible. Others are seeking the mid majors and the combo of academic and athletic money that might come with that. Many families are simply looking for something to put the kid over the edge at NESCAC.

Success if defined differently for everyone.

Comment

Not on often so not sure if it was this thread or not, but someone was complaining about how CFC doesn't do right by branch players. They posted this recently on FB for 2018 grads, saying more to come. Non ECNl isn't overly impressive but players are landing spots.

CFC ECNL
                Natalie Kelchner CFC ECNL Marist College
                Grace Moore CFC ECNL Northeastern University
                Tory Bike CFC ECNL The University of Rhode Island
                Caroline Monahan CFC ECNL College of William and Mary
                Kiley Harnish CFC ECNL Seton Hall University
                Jillian Klem CFC ECNL Sacred Heart University
                Gigi Mecca CFC ECNL Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
                Tory Bike CFC ECNL University of Rhode Island
                Olivia Leone CFC ECNL Sacred Heart University
                Meadow Mancini CFC ECNL Fairfield University
                Teresa Andres CFC ECNL Bowdoin College
                Claire Mensi CFC ECNL Bucknell University
                STELLA SCHWARTZ CFC ECNL UMASS AMHERST
                Miranda Ioannone CFC ECNL Cornell University
                Mikayla Fosina CFC ECNL Iona College
                Emily DeNunzio CFC ECNL Colgate
                Emily Yin CFC ECNL Yale University
                Lauren Tangney CFC ECNL Wake Forest
                Emily Clorite CFC ECNL Yale University
                Alexis Mason CFC ECNL Fairfield University

CFC Sportsworld
                Morgan Masters CFC Sportsworld Nova Southeastern University

CFC Chelsea
                Sarah Helms Chelsea Hobart Williams and Smith College

CFC SOUND
                Demiree Cyr CFC Sound Thomas Jefferson University
                Hayley Byers CFC Sound Springfield College
                Samantha Vitka CFC Sound Western New England University
                Shannon Pruzinsky CFC Sound Lasell College
                Angela Sanzari CFC Sound Lasell College
                Shea Jakubowski CFC Sound Hood College

CFC NPL
                Veronica O’Rourke CFC NPL Connecticut College
                Brady ***** CFC NPL Ithica College
                Petra Friden CFC NPL Smith College

CFC Wolves
                Olivia Allen CFC Wolves 99/00 Skidmore
                Gretchen Kron CFC Wolves Quinnipiac University
                Skylar Couillard CFC Wolves Western. Ct State University
                Kendall Cathcart CFC Wolves Clarkson University
                Alyssa Bergamini CFC Wolves Georgia College
                Hannah Sullivan CFC Wolves Emmanuel College
                Katarina Bade CFC Wolves Trinity College

Comment

This is great, how many girls total in Cfc program that graduate high school this year?

Comment

This is great, how many girls total in Cfc program that graduate high school this year?
                    Of course you're back! Mr "Every CFC player should commit to college" guy. Given the level those players compete in it's impressive CFC has that many. Many players on those teams simply don't have the skills to play in college, and probably many don't even want to. It's no different than players at Ginga, Sporting, Rush etc - a few placements at lower level programs but certainly not entire squads. Should all those players just give up soccer because they won't be playing in college? Kids can't play just because they want to play?

Comment

Don’t try so hard, just was wondering if anyone knows how many Cfc girls in total are graduating this year, don’t read into it any further

Comment

Don’t try so hard, just was wondering if anyone knows how many Cfc girls in total are graduating this year, don’t read into it any further
                        Apologies but there is a dude that keeps hammering away at that topic, very annoying. Soccer (all athletics) is a very tight funnel into college.

Looking at the CFC website there are the following 99 or 00 teams. Based on past years their NPL will get much longer. Not sure why it's so short this late in the game.

CFCU - 2 teams (1 ECNL, 1 NPL)
                        Alliance - no teams
                        Valley - 1 team
                        Wolves/Sportworld - 2 teams
                        Arsenal/South - no teams
                        Chelsea - 1
                        Sound - 1
                        West - none
                        Real - 1

Comment

The question is not how many commits, it is what is the total amount of girls among all Cfc teams/branches that will graduate this year? 200, 400? Are there 10 teams with 22 average on each roster?

Comment

The question is not how many commits, it is what is the total amount of girls among all Cfc teams/branches that will graduate this year? 200, 400? Are there 10 teams with 22 average on each roster?
                            Based on above list there are 8 teams. A few might be older juniors. CFCU has larger rosters, but branches are smaller. I'd guess 20 on average across all = 160 kids graduating. To get to 200 each would have to have 25 players and the branches just don't have that

Comment

So would it be fair to say that approx 25% of girls that play soccer in the state, get soccer scholarship money?

Comment

Based on above list there are 8 teams. A few might be older juniors. CFCU has larger rosters, but branches are smaller. I'd guess 20 on average across all = 160 kids graduating. To get to 200 each would have to have 25 players and the branches just don't have that
                                Cfc has 180 girls graduating this year so by sheer numbers alone, they would have to have the most college placements than all other clubs in the state?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X