X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    XF hands down.
    Don't develop any of their own just recruit like crazy.
    Crossfire doesn't fit my Dds need, but from a business standpoint, I have to admit that it runs like a fine oiled machine. They have the fields, college connections, notoriety, popular tournaments, and full rosters which I imagine equate to full bank accounts.

Comment

Definitely XF
      It's also the most over-rated club. On paper they look awesome. But from a parent/player point of view it's hardly anything but. The only exception is if you are one of the top players on the top teams. It's not enough to be on the top team. You have to literally be one of the top players. And if you are, you'll love it there. They'll promote the heck out of you. One thing people never mention on here is how the rest of the roster is treated, including playing time. And for many of those female players who commit to name brand colleges, what's also never mentioned on here is how many of them actually get athletic scholarship money. Is $600 athletic scholarship at a well known West Coast university something to brag about? Pretty much means the athlete will be riding the pine. But let's boast about college commitments.

Comment

Mostly agree. There should be relatively free movement between clubs, and players should be able to consider their options. Clubs and coaches should be able to pitch their own merits those of their organizations, and can do that without being negative about other clubs (about which they by definition generally lack much first hand information about how they train on a day-to-day basis or what their plans are going forward). If a club decides it should give away free stuff to compete more effectively, and that works in enabling it to attract and recruit more and better players, awesome.

Misrepresenting what kids have already committed to move to your team to persuade a player to move, telling players you've "heard" a club is going to out of business or moving its practices to Tacoma or that you "know" what is happening with one league or another when you don't, and treating players as club property over which you can demand some sort of "loyalty" and shame players for not being sufficiently loyal are all unnecessary and sleazy things to do that are probably bad for business in the long term.
        What we need, then, is a Coach's Code of Ethics

No coach, or other team official, whether paid or unpaid (team managers, who often have access to confidential information, are considered "team officials" for this purpose), shall:

* Disparage, criticize, or make any other derogatory remark concerning another club, team, coach, league, or player, to any player or parent, whether currently signed or not. This include any suggesting that another entity is "losing its players", "failing", "going out of business", or otherwise in danger of suffering any material change in fortunes. Truth is not a defense here. Bad-mouthing the competition is forbidden. (One minor exception: tactical advice concerning an upcoming opponent might be OK--"their left wing can be beaten off the dribble easily, so go ahead and take her on!" would not be banned by this. But even then--youth coaches should be focusing on their own teams; leave the scouting of opponents to the professionals).

* Make any communications concerning potential roster moves or club changes by any other player, whether specific ("Becky from XF is coming to our tryouts!") or generic ("There are going to be quite a few Reign girls at tryouts, so practice hard!"). This includes such communications intended as practice motivation, as well as for recruiting. Until tryouts are complete and rosters are published, coaches should not discuss the fate of any other players.

* Encourage player or parents to recruit any other player. Kids will recruit their friends, and the activities of kids and families is outside the scope of the code of ethics, but parents shouldn't be using families to recruit, especially when and where direct contact between a coach and a prospect is disallowed.

* Roster more players than they have roster spots for. This ought to be obvious, but some coaches promise (after tryouts) more A team slots than they actually have, and don't make the necessary cuts until after players have signed and committed. Even if a club wants to run "academy style" (and have fluid rather than fixed rosters), if there are 18 roster spots on the A team, then only 18 players may be told "Congratulations! you made the A team!" on tryout date. Some unethical coaches will try and fool a player into accepting a bad situation with his club, rather than take a better situation with another club, by overbooking their A team.

Comment

It's also the most over-rated club. On paper they look awesome. But from a parent/player point of view it's hardly anything but. The only exception is if you are one of the top players on the top teams. It's not enough to be on the top team. You have to literally be one of the top players. And if you are, you'll love it there. They'll promote the heck out of you. One thing people never mention on here is how the rest of the roster is treated, including playing time. And for many of those female players who commit to name brand colleges, what's also never mentioned on here is how many of them actually get athletic scholarship money. Is $600 athletic scholarship at a well known West Coast university something to brag about? Pretty much means the athlete will be riding the pine. But let's boast about college commitments.
          This is what a lot of parents dont really know. A ton of the kids that you see sign will get as little as just book money or just even be a preferred walk on at a D1 school.

All he big clubs that boast like 10 college signings a year, 1 or 2 of them probably get about 50% athletic money and the rest average a few thousand dollars.

Keep them grades up.

Comment

The majority of HS athletes do not have the ability to play in college at any level. Being offered a roster spot is an accomplishment, period. Money aside, having your application supported by the coaches at your dream school is a great result for many kids, especially if they have the grades to earn merit money etc. If you get your kid into soccer hoping for a scholarship, you are headed for a fall, because they're rare, and will become even more so in this economy as budgets tighten.

As for XFire, my dd is not a starter but has felt like playing time was reasonably shared on her team, especially at showcases. At any club, a lot depends on how the coach and player mesh, unfortunately.

Comment

Funny thing is that the non-star parents and kids take the punishment by just being associated with a good team at XF, until they figure it out. College coaches recruit individual players, not teams. Exposure, yes, but they know which girls are stars and which ones are filler. Getting junk minutes will not help your dd. By then, it is too late. I have seen this over and over again. Bernie with all this slimy, fat @ss faults is a good businessman. So who is left holding the bag at the end?

PacNW is a weird mini-version of XF without the ability to get really quality players. Same model promote one or two top players per age group and then rest are afterthoughts. You can see that with SY and AK from the past. Now with ECNL, MA went super charged crazy to get as many quality players as possible, hence the results of the sanctions placed on PacNW. This was all done to be able to promote the chosen ones, not because your dd is some special sauce to the team.

If you are walking into PacNW as a new player, you have to understand where you sit on the pecking order. Doesn't matter if you are really, really good player. If you are not one of the promoted ones, then your journey here will really suck @ss and you have to really self-promote to find your spot in college. If you are not that good, then prepare for suckage. By then, it is too late. Same goes for XF.

XF college list is quite impressive with some high level academic D1 and D3 and some P5 D1 here and there. PacNW college list is a laughing joke to our family. Ok, get mad at me. Almost all of those schools my kids can get into without soccer or sports. WSU might be P5 D1, but cultural, academic, alcoholic, and pot wasteland in Pullman. I would weep for weeks if my kids had to go here. When PacNW lists community colleges as a commit, I chuckle on how much money and time were spent for this grand achievement. Perhaps, better spent on academic tutors and teachers.

Comment

The majority of HS athletes do not have the ability to play in college at any level. Being offered a roster spot is an accomplishment, period. Money aside, having your application supported by the coaches at your dream school is a great result for many kids, especially if they have the grades to earn merit money etc. If you get your kid into soccer hoping for a scholarship, you are headed for a fall, because they're rare, and will become even more so in this economy as budgets tighten.

As for XFire, my dd is not a starter but has felt like playing time was reasonably shared on her team, especially at showcases. At any club, a lot depends on how the coach and player mesh, unfortunately.
                +1. Rarely give them. It is about 7% of HS age soccer girls will play D1-3 soccer. Good luck to your kid and stay safe.

Comment

What we need, then, is a Coach's Code of Ethics

No coach, or other team official, whether paid or unpaid (team managers, who often have access to confidential information, are considered "team officials" for this purpose), shall:

* Disparage, criticize, or make any other derogatory remark concerning another club, team, coach, league, or player, to any player or parent, whether currently signed or not. This include any suggesting that another entity is "losing its players", "failing", "going out of business", or otherwise in danger of suffering any material change in fortunes. Truth is not a defense here. Bad-mouthing the competition is forbidden. (One minor exception: tactical advice concerning an upcoming opponent might be OK--"their left wing can be beaten off the dribble easily, so go ahead and take her on!" would not be banned by this. But even then--youth coaches should be focusing on their own teams; leave the scouting of opponents to the professionals).

* Make any communications concerning potential roster moves or club changes by any other player, whether specific ("Becky from XF is coming to our tryouts!") or generic ("There are going to be quite a few Reign girls at tryouts, so practice hard!"). This includes such communications intended as practice motivation, as well as for recruiting. Until tryouts are complete and rosters are published, coaches should not discuss the fate of any other players.

* Encourage player or parents to recruit any other player. Kids will recruit their friends, and the activities of kids and families is outside the scope of the code of ethics, but parents shouldn't be using families to recruit, especially when and where direct contact between a coach and a prospect is disallowed.

* Roster more players than they have roster spots for. This ought to be obvious, but some coaches promise (after tryouts) more A team slots than they actually have, and don't make the necessary cuts until after players have signed and committed. Even if a club wants to run "academy style" (and have fluid rather than fixed rosters), if there are 18 roster spots on the A team, then only 18 players may be told "Congratulations! you made the A team!" on tryout date. Some unethical coaches will try and fool a player into accepting a bad situation with his club, rather than take a better situation with another club, by overbooking their A team.
                  Two more:

* No making any promises or deals to players, other than that which are made to all members of the team. If a club is a professional academy (meaning FREE for the players) that's one thing, but for pay-to-play clubs, no special inducements are permitted. No promises of starting time, financial aid, etc. and especially no promising things outside or the club (i.e. related to ODP, personal training, high school soccer, etc). Generally, club coaches should not be coaching the same age range(s) and sex in other areas (ODP, high school), to avoid conflicts of interest.

* No informing recruits or players of club plans that aren't publicly announced, whether true, speculative, or outright BS. I.e. no "we're going to join ECNL next year" unless the club has announced it indeed is joining ECNL. If the club is only applying, and has announced their application, then coaches can tell recruits that, but cannot provide them with any nonpublic information (true or false) on the status of that application.

Comment

Funny thing is that the non-star parents and kids take the punishment by just being associated with a good team at XF, until they figure it out. College coaches recruit individual players, not teams. Exposure, yes, but they know which girls are stars and which ones are filler. Getting junk minutes will not help your dd. By then, it is too late. I have seen this over and over again. Bernie with all this slimy, fat @ss faults is a good businessman. So who is left holding the bag at the end?

PacNW is a weird mini-version of XF without the ability to get really quality players. Same model promote one or two top players per age group and then rest are afterthoughts. You can see that with SY and AK from the past. Now with ECNL, MA went super charged crazy to get as many quality players as possible, hence the results of the sanctions placed on PacNW. This was all done to be able to promote the chosen ones, not because your dd is some special sauce to the team.

If you are walking into PacNW as a new player, you have to understand where you sit on the pecking order. Doesn't matter if you are really, really good player. If you are not one of the promoted ones, then your journey here will really suck @ss and you have to really self-promote to find your spot in college. If you are not that good, then prepare for suckage. By then, it is too late. Same goes for XF.

XF college list is quite impressive with some high level academic D1 and D3 and some P5 D1 here and there. PacNW college list is a laughing joke to our family. Ok, get mad at me. Almost all of those schools my kids can get into without soccer or sports. WSU might be P5 D1, but cultural, academic, alcoholic, and pot wasteland in Pullman. I would weep for weeks if my kids had to go here. When PacNW lists community colleges as a commit, I chuckle on how much money and time were spent for this grand achievement. Perhaps, better spent on academic tutors and teachers.
                    I think it's important for parents to understand that it's absolutely true: coaches recruit players. No matter what team you're on, if a kid wants to play in college, they should be reaching out to coaches, inviting them to games, going to camps, introduce themselves if on campus for a tour etc (when NCAA allows) Don't rely on the club to market you. Start freshman year.

Comment

I think most parents who can afford to shell out soccer money can already afford college. I've been on the sidelines with soccer parents for five years and haven't heard one say they were hoping for a scholarship. The attacks calling parents idiots on here for paying thousands of dollars per year hoping for a scholarship is overdone.

Comment

I think most parents who can afford to shell out soccer money can already afford college. I've been on the sidelines with soccer parents for five years and haven't heard one say they were hoping for a scholarship. The attacks calling parents idiots on here for paying thousands of dollars per year hoping for a scholarship is overdone.
                        Wrong. Definitely can't shell out $50k-$70k for a college like Santa Clara, USD, SCRIPPS, Boston College for four years, etc. Even the rising cost of local state colleges is becoming an increasing burden on the working class. If you really want to attend some of these schools for little to know cost, better to put the soccer money towards private tutors.

Comment

This is true in affluent Seattle. Most families can afford college (or could before COVID hit) If you network with soccer parents in other parts of the country, scholarship money is #1 over school prestige and great if your kid can get it.

Comment

somebody gets it....

Sorry coach, you can't steal players. Do you want to know why? Because you don't own them. You own the shoes on your feet, and the clothes on your back...

As much as you try to rope them in, threaten them for considering or even looking at other options, to prevent them from playing for the team of their choice, you don't own them.

So when a child decides they don't want to be on your team for whatever reason, politely wish them the best.

Don't come on here ranting that XF, PAC, SU WPFC STOLE, POACHED or UNDERHANDEDLY persuaded a kid to leave your team. The same kid whose parents paid YOU thousands of dollars for the opportunity to play soccer.

They are kids, not a fricken Golden Goose.
                            This person gets it

Comment

LOL, please let me know where your little flower ends up. WSU is the only school with weed and drinking in college right? It's a big world out there tiger, you might have to let her fend for herself a little.

Comment

LOL, please let me know where your little flower ends up. WSU is the only school with weed and drinking in college right? It's a big world out there tiger, you might have to let her fend for herself a little.
                                Sure. She is targeting high academic D1/3 schools, including Ivy. Perhaps, you and I do not run in the same circles, so I will explain myself. Most parents here are understand the frame of reference of levels of soccer, such as ECNL, B team, etc, so I will use something similar. So, imagine WSU with its Honor's Program which holds the most brightest and hardest working students out of 20,000+ regular students. I would imagine about 200 students total covering 4 years. The 1%.

So now, take Harvard with about 7,000 undergrads. These kids are ALL the 1%. Scary thing is that there are A team, B team, C team, etc within these 1% kids. Not only are they academically brilliant, they must be equally talented and hardworking in the arts, social services, sports, etc. If you have been, then you know.

So, my dd is setting the bar for high level academics and high level soccer. Unfortunately, there is no way to cheat this without sacrifice and hard work. There are couple other girls on my dd team who are very similar to her in goals, equally hardworking and dedicated. Her friends at school are very similar which they create a virtuous cycle of support and competition. So the old adage of "Show me your friends and I will tell you who you are" rings very true here.

So, when I hear PacNW crowing about commits to community college, I truly shake my head and weep silently for these young ladies and all the lost potential, due to parental stupidity and arrogance. All that money and time wasted for what? Kicking a ball? Better to use for tutors and saving for college. But hey, not everyone can be a doctor. Good luck to your dd.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X