Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best NEP clubs

Serious question here, looking for an RI club where the parents are sane, the kids are normal and the coaches are good people.

Have a child (boy) entering 9th grade who just needs to get in regular touches and games after high school season in the fall. He is NEP level so we are not crazy parents trying to climb the ladder of the sport.

I know about Surf, NEFC, Bayside, Bruno, Liverpool, etc. but any real guidance on a club that would fit our parameters would be great. Given all of the changes this summer, it is hard to figure out a good fit.

We were so bummed this Spring after all of the reshuffling, backstabbing among coaches.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Serious question here, looking for an RI club where the parents are sane, the kids are normal and the coaches are good people.

Have a child (boy) entering 9th grade who just needs to get in regular touches and games after high school season in the fall. He is NEP level so we are not crazy parents trying to climb the ladder of the sport.

I know about Surf, NEFC, Bayside, Bruno, Liverpool, etc. but any real guidance on a club that would fit our parameters would be great. Given all of the changes this summer, it is hard to figure out a good fit.

We were so bummed this Spring after all of the reshuffling, backstabbing among coaches.
    I've heard decent things about Liverpool that make them sound like they check all the boxes of your first paragraph, although I have no first hand experience. If I were looking for a new club for my kids, I'd probably start there. We've ended up in the Surf circle of uncertainty, but if this year doesn't work out well, that's where we'll most likely be looking next year.

Comment

For a normal parent all options on the table - where is close to home and convenient for you? (you can give us a vicinity if you don't want to embarrass your kid). I'll assume he has played competitive for his town and just out to grow his skills and stay in shape.

Comment

I would contact the clubs you are interested in and ask if you can join a practice to get a feel for the kids, parents and coaches in his age group.

Comment

Thanks for the input. My child has played club for five years but we are at that point where we just want a place close to home (we live in Seekonk area) and with normal people.

Comment

For Seekonk area, I suggest Bayside as they are training out of East Providence and should be your quickest drive. I believe they have 2 teams at that age group but I would check.

Comment

For Seekonk area, I suggest Bayside as they are training out of East Providence and should be your quickest drive. I believe they have 2 teams at that age group but I would check.
              He said sane parents and coaches... that isn't Bayside, not by a long shot. Craziest sidelines I've ever seen next to GPS NH parents who were bat$it crazy.

Comment

He said sane parents and coaches... that isn't Bayside, not by a long shot. Craziest sidelines I've ever seen next to GPS NH parents who were bat$it crazy.
                Similar experience. Before I knew much about them, I took a son to a Bayside session for assessment. He took one look at the coaches' scowling faces and basically said, "Nope," and wouldn't even go on the field. Good intuition; he later played against them and I got to see/hear first hand what we "missed out" on. Phew.

PS - Up in MA, Valeo parents even more bat***** crazy.

Comment

Similar experience. Before I knew much about them, I took a son to a Bayside session for assessment. He took one look at the coaches' scowling faces and basically said, "Nope," and wouldn't even go on the field. Good intuition; he later played against them and I got to see/hear first hand what we "missed out" on. Phew.

PS - Up in MA, Valeo parents even more bat***** crazy.
                  Out come the Bayside haters. I could have inserted any team in the mix and would get similar response. I love how generalized the responses are (entire team has lunatic parents and coaches - haha you haven't see too many town games I guess).

Scorpions doing something new for the boys too if you want to take a chance. Not sure the field location, looks like they are holding tryouts.

Comment

Out come the Bayside haters. I could have inserted any team in the mix and would get similar response.
                    I don't hate Bayside, they're just not a good fit for my kids. I'm sure there are some for whom that club is an excellent fit. But no, I doubt you'd get the same reaction about other clubs, not in RI at least. Some towns, sure.

Comment

Please direct me to a "sane" sideline of premier parents. Give me a break. There are nuts at every club. As for coaches, I know a bunch of the Bayside coaches and the ones I know behave well at matches. I am sure there are some that don't, but you find them at every club.

Comment

Please direct me to a "sane" sideline of premier parents. Give me a break. There are nuts at every club. As for coaches, I know a bunch of the Bayside coaches and the ones I know behave well at matches. I am sure there are some that don't, but you find them at every club.
                        My kids have played for three different clubs each over the last seven years. I can say without a doubt that Bayside has the worst parent behavior on the sidelines of any RI club. Could be the demographic that Bayside pulls in with an East Providence location or it could be the club's culture, but regardless, I never saw that with NEFC or Scorpions. I did see it with a GPS Boston team, but the GPS teams in other regions were fine. As another poster said, Valeo has some crazies as well... my guess it's the same demographic they're pulling from Boston as GPS Boston teams. Last, the NH teams have been mixed. GPS HN had some real doozies of parents on the sidelines. Only time I've ever wanted to punch another parent in the face over a kids game, harassing the ref constantly, who was just a teenager. Seacoast we never had that issue.

Bottom line, yes, there are bad parents and coaches who yell, joystick, etc in every club, but Bayside is absolutely the worst offender in RI. Both my kids could have played for Bayside (one now plays ECNL), and we stayed away specifically because of what we saw at matches on the sideline as well as the overbearing parents watching intently through the fences during practices.

Comment

The "demographic" for Bayside is all over the state and some from Mass so that's not a very fair evaluation. Regardless, parents will be watching in cars with face masks on per Gina so you'll be all set!

Comment

Here’s a simple one Surf sucks

Comment

My kids have played for three different clubs each over the last seven years. I can say without a doubt that Bayside has the worst parent behavior on the sidelines of any RI club. Could be the demographic that Bayside pulls in with an East Providence location or it could be the club's culture, but regardless, I never saw that with NEFC or Scorpions. I did see it with a GPS Boston team, but the GPS teams in other regions were fine. As another poster said, Valeo has some crazies as well... my guess it's the same demographic they're pulling from Boston as GPS Boston teams. Last, the NH teams have been mixed. GPS HN had some real doozies of parents on the sidelines. Only time I've ever wanted to punch another parent in the face over a kids game, harassing the ref constantly, who was just a teenager. Seacoast we never had that issue.

Bottom line, yes, there are bad parents and coaches who yell, joystick, etc in every club, but Bayside is absolutely the worst offender in RI. Both my kids could have played for Bayside (one now plays ECNL), and we stayed away specifically because of what we saw at matches on the sideline as well as the overbearing parents watching intently through the fences during practices.
                              Not my experience. At least on the girls side. The craziest people I have encountered were at South Shore Select. LOL

I would add that your reference to "demographic" bothers me a bit. I think unfortunately when some people are over the top they are "just annoying" and when others are over the top they are "scary". I don't blame you for that perspective but our society suffers from it. One of the things I like about Bayside is the diversity. Even the coaches are a mix of South American, Portuguese, English, etc. I find that part appealing

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X