• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NESCAC no sports until 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Are you speculating or do you have confirmation of this?

Comment

I don't understand why some on here are so anxious for NESCAC to fold for the fall. There are rumors but nothing at all has been announced. In fact, Tufts just put out their plans for the fall and it's clear that varsity sports (as opposed to club and intramural) may still go forward.

This was put out just today:

"We are working closely with our NESCAC partners, public health officials, and the NCAA to determine how and when it will be safe for varsity sport student-athletes, coaches, and staff to return to practice and competition. Competitive club sports and intramurals have been suspended for the fall semester."

https://president.tufts.edu/news/202...ts-fall-plans/

Comment

If you think D3 college sports requires no sacrifice on the part of the student athletes you are ill informed.There will be no D3 sports until 2022 anyways.
          NESCAC is definitely less of a commitment than D1. Can play multiple sports, study abroad, etc.

Comment

"We are working closely with our NESCAC partners, public health officials, and the NCAA to determine how and when it will be safe for varsity sport student-athletes, coaches, and staff to return to practice and competition. Competitive club sports and intramurals have been suspended for the fall semester."
            This is the most carefully worded noncommittal pile of nonsense I've ever read.

Comment

I don't understand why some on here are so anxious for NESCAC to fold for the fall. There are rumors but nothing at all has been announced. In fact, Tufts just put out their plans for the fall and it's clear that varsity sports (as opposed to club and intramural) may still go forward.

This was put out just today:

https://president.tufts.edu/news/202...ts-fall-plans/
              There will be no fall NESCAC competition. Possibly something in the spring - TBD. That's what they're referring to here in statement re "determining how and when".

Comment

Patriot league is playing. Looks like no preseason, no flights or overnight travel and done by thanksgiving.

Comment

It sounds like some of the "elite" schools are forcing students who want to sit out 2020-21 to reapply. One of my kids' schools is hinting that reapplications will be viewed favorably, but maybe not until 2022-23 academic year. In other words, "if you want your brand name degree, don't think you can take a year off and grab some credits at local State U and then just show up when Covid is gone. We want ALL of your tuition money..."
                  A friend's kid was told that by a top B school - accept now or you have to reapply all over again. She decided to hold off a year as she still has a good paying job and most of the classes will be online. Not worth it. But I haven't heard of any school telling current enrolled students that they can't take time off.

It's also why so many schools are doing a combination of in person and on line. Makes it easier for them to justify the tuition and entice kids back to campus. School revenues aren't just tuition but dorms, food service, swag sales.

Comment

This is the most carefully worded noncommittal pile of nonsense I've ever read.
                    We've received similar from our two colleges - schools REALLY want to be back but still haven't figured out how they are going to do it. They also have to do what health officials tell them, and that can change if cases grow again

Comment

It sounds like some of the "elite" schools are forcing students who want to sit out 2020-21 to reapply. One of my kids' schools is hinting that reapplications will be viewed favorably, but maybe not until 2022-23 academic year. In other words, "if you want your brand name degree, don't think you can take a year off and grab some credits at local State U and then just show up when Covid is gone. We want ALL of your tuition money..."
                      This completely stinks and it does seem like a ploy to strong-arm students into accepting the online semester(s). But at the same time, especially for these small liberal arts schools, it must be very challenging to manage numbers (class sizes, dorm space) if a large cohort opts to take a semester or 2 off. Allowing deferred semesters could create a potentially large bubble of students on campus in 2021-22. And limiting allowable transfer credits is nothing new for the "elite" schools. Maybe the enrollment bubble could be managed with some temporary housing and temporary professor hires for some classes . . . there are no easy solutions and no easy decisions for the students affected. This especially stinks for the seniors, many of whom also had spring study abroad cut short by coronavirus.

Comment

This completely stinks and it does seem like a ploy to strong-arm students into accepting the online semester(s). But at the same time, especially for these small liberal arts schools, it must be very challenging to manage numbers (class sizes, dorm space) if a large cohort opts to take a semester or 2 off. Allowing deferred semesters could create a potentially large bubble of students on campus in 2021-22. And limiting allowable transfer credits is nothing new for the "elite" schools. Maybe the enrollment bubble could be managed with some temporary housing and temporary professor hires for some classes . . . there are no easy solutions and no easy decisions for the students affected. This especially stinks for the seniors, many of whom also had spring study abroad cut short by coronavirus.
                        nothing is the same as it was anywhere on the planet and that includes higher education. They have to make extreme adjustment like everyone else. And if that means they have less enrollment in one year and more in another year, put all that brain power to work and figure out a way to manage that.

Comment

What would be the poi t of taking a year off from college, during a pandemic.? I mean, there’s not much else to do. You might as well use the time wisely, and earn some credits online. You will save money in housing costs, meal plans, etc. It’s called being productive and finishing your degree on time. Isn’t that the point of college? Or is college only worth going to, if you are able to hang I out and party on campus. How messed up is that?

Comment

What would be the poi t of taking a year off from college, during a pandemic.? I mean, there’s not much else to do. You might as well use the time wisely, and earn some credits online. You will save money in housing costs, meal plans, etc. It’s called being productive and finishing your degree on time. Isn’t that the point of college? Or is college only worth going to, if you are able to hang I out and party on campus. How messed up is that?
                            Finishing it on time? On time for what?

Comment

Social aspect is a huge part of the college experience,who wants to sit in a room alone.Whats up with that?

Comment

My daughter's school does not accept that many transfer credits to fulfill graduation requirements. Some schools have more flexibility. This thread is a NESCAC thread, and NESCAC schools are generally not so flexible.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X