•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Cases and ventilator use continue to soar in Miami-Dade County
    From CNN’s Rosa Flores

Miami-Dade County has continued to see staggeringly high Covid-19 positivity rates and an increase in the number of hospitalizations and ventilator use, according to the latest data released by the county's government.

In the past 13 days, Miami-Dade County has seen a 68% increase in the number of Covid-19 patients being hospitalized, a 69% increase in the number of ICU beds being used, and a 109% increase in the use of ventilators.
    Officials also reported a 28% Covid-19 positivity rate on Monday. The county has exceeded the 22% mark for the past two weeks, and the current 14-day average is 26%, the data shows.

The positivity rate -- how many of those tested are actually infected -- is tracked daily by the county. Mayor Carlos Gimenez's office has said the goal is to not exceed a positivity rate of 10%.

Here is a breakdown of the hospitalization data released by the county government:

Covid-19 patients:

6/30: 1,202

7/13: 2,023

Patients in ICU beds:

6/30: 245

7/13: 413

Patients on ventilators:

6/30: 103

7/13: 215
    CNN = 🐥 News Network

Comment

As soon as I see CNN as a source I stop reading.
      They have no relationship with the truth.
      If you want me to read a post don’t cite CNN.

Comment

I can’t remember the last time there was positive coverage of trump or a republican. Literally 20-1 negative to positive coverage. Democrats though.....can’t remember a negative headline

I get it, there will always be some bias, but can’t be that overt

Comment

I can’t remember the last time there was positive coverage of trump or a republican. Literally 20-1 negative to positive coverage. Democrats though.....can’t remember a negative headline

I get it, there will always be some bias, but can’t be that overt
          It’s gotten ridiculous.

Comment

Public health data is what it is and can be easily verified. It's how it's interpreted that is up for debate. Or, be like FOX and don't report at all.

Comment

Iraq on Tuesday recorded at least 2,022 new coronavirus cases, according to the country's health ministry.

This brings the total number of Covid-19 cases in Iraq to more than 81,700 according to the health ministry.

The health ministry also reported at least 95 new Covid-19-related deaths, bringing the total to at least 3,345 deaths across the country.

The ministry also said in a statement that 3,784 cases have recovered Tuesday from Covid-19, and total of 50,782 cases have recovered across the country since the pandemic began

Comment

Connecticut’s top health officials are preparing for another surge in coronaviruses cases in our state.

Dr. Matthew Cartter, Connecticut’s chief epidemiologist, said it’s not if- but when.

Scientists have learned a lot about COVID-19 and how to mitigate its spread. However, there are still a lot of unknowns.

According to the state’s epidemiologists, 5 percent of the population has been infected.

That leaves a large chunk without immunity and at risk of getting infected.

Cartter said people need to stop thinking about coronavirus waves and instead think of a resurgence.

That means we’ll have an ongoing spread.

Some places like Connecticut right now may see lower rates of infection where other places like Florida will be surging with no distinct waves.

Cartter said it’s hard to predict when a surge will happen in Connecticut, but they are trying to figure out better ways to know when it’s about to happen so the state can implement control measures.

“It is likely that we will see a resurgence, [but] exactly when none of us can predict,” Cartter said. “Whether it goes up sharply or gradually is up to us and what we do.”

Since Friday, 223 people have tested positive for COVID-19 and 23 people died from complications with it. Only six of those, however, were contracted recently. The rest were called “catch up cases.”

Hospitalizations continue to drop.

Doctors said they are comparing it to the flu, because it’s the best comparison at this time.

That means, according to Cartter, that we should treat infections as a giant wave with peaks, not recurring waves.

Also, doctors are hoping that the spike in infections does not overlap with the flu itself.

“We are concerned about having flu season around the same time as COVID-19,” Cartter said. “With any luck, influenza season will happen when it usually does for us, usually get started in late summer and goes through January and February. If we see a resurgence of COVID-19 it would be better for it to come before then.”

Gov. Ned Lamont said despite the low infection rates in Connecticut, now is not the time to relax.

He advised people to continue staying home when possible and to continue wearing facemasks.

Comment

The new epicenter: Miami is "now the epicenter of the pandemic," an infectious disease expert with the area's Jackson Health System said. Cases are rising across the state of Florida, where least 48 hospitals have zero ICU beds available. The state has more cases than all but eight entire countries.

Comment

At least 1,705 Mexicans have died of Covid-19 in the United States, Mexico’s Foreign Ministry said in a statement released late Monday night.

Of the US states, New York is the deadliest one for Mexicans. At least 758 people have died from the virus in the state, according to Mexico’s statement. The tally is based on information from the consulates and is subject to change, the statement adds.

At least 245 urns with the remains of Mexican citizens who have died from the virus were repatriated to Mexico on Saturday, flown in from New York to Mexico City on a Mexican Air Force plane.

Comment

The US-Canada border is expected to remain closed until at least Aug. 21, two Canadian government sources with knowledge of the situation tell CNN.

There will be stepped-up enforcement and surveillance at most Canadian land borders in the coming weeks, the sources add.

By mutual agreement, the US-Canada border has been closed to all non-essential traffic since March.

The sources spoke on the condition of anonymity, as they are not authorized to speak publicly on the matter. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is expected to formally announce the decision later this week.

CNN has reached out to US officials for comment.

President Trump and Prime Justin Minister Trudeau discussed the matter briefly during a phone call Monday morning, according to Trudeau’s office.

Also on Monday, Trudeau said Canada recognizes that the US coronavirus pandemic is a "complex" situation.

Comment

Israeli Data Show School Openings Were a Disaster That Wiped Out Lockdown Gains

Israeli Data Show School Openings Were a Disaster That Wiped Out Lockdown Gains

https://www.thedailybeast.com/israel...lockdown-gains

Comment

Just think about college students returning to CT and regional colleges in a few weeks that will be coming from hot states. They're supposed to quarantine for 2 weeks, but will they? There's already been cases of FL travelers lying to NY state on their airline forms and then it turns out they were sick.

Comment

Just think about college students returning to CT and regional colleges in a few weeks that will be coming from hot states. They're supposed to quarantine for 2 weeks, but will they? There's already been cases of FL travelers lying to NY state on their airline forms and then it turns out they were sick.
                            Yeah, I saw the plan at the college where I work. They seriously expect a few thousand 18-22 year olds to gather in one location and then lock themselves into their dorms for two weeks. I'm old, but not so old that I don't remember my college days. A situation like that is just begging for a two-week raging bender. And the school had better be planning on handing out condoms.

Comment

Yeah, I saw the plan at the college where I work. They seriously expect a few thousand 18-22 year olds to gather in one location and then lock themselves into their dorms for two weeks. I'm old, but not so old that I don't remember my college days. A situation like that is just begging for a two-week raging bender. And the school had better be planning on handing out condoms.
                              I don't even know why they bother with a quarantine thing. Even with single rooms they all share bathrooms and common spaces. They absolutely will hang out together. Then there's all the off campus housing that won't even be monitored.

They should require a negative Covid test 3 days before starting classes. Have the school set it up on campus. It wouldn't stop every case but would help a lot. You can't start classes without getting a test.

Comment

Florida reports 132 coronavirus-related deaths in a single day
                                From CNN’s Rosa Flores and Dan Shepherd in Miami

Florida health officials reported 132 Covid-19-related deaths on Tuesday, breaking the record for most deaths in a single day due to coronavirus, according to numbers released by the state's Department of Health.

The previous record for coronavirus-related deaths in one day was 120 deaths reported on July 9.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X