Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    One of the problems with competitive soccer is literally no one cares but the parents. There are no "fans", no community pride, and no one on the sidelines but the anxious, delusional parents. It took us awhile to realize this and at least among the kids I know, once they turn 15 or 16, they could care less about impressing the parents. That's what Europe and S.A. have on American soccer and I don't see it changing. My 2 cents worth...
    I think that is IT.

Comment

Youth soccer can drive parents crazy too.

Comment

I think that is IT.
        Definitely it been there done it.

Comment

Definitely it been there done it.
          In another country too?

Comment

One of the problems with competitive soccer is literally no one cares but the parents. There are no "fans", no community pride, and no one on the sidelines but the anxious, delusional parents. It took us awhile to realize this and at least among the kids I know, once they turn 15 or 16, they could care less about impressing the parents. That's what Europe and S.A. have on American soccer and I don't see it changing. My 2 cents worth...
            That's a great observation.

Comment

So you think the primary motivation for kids participating or not particpating in soccer is due to the presense or lack of presence of fans??

Kids, and I don't think this is limited to only soccer, play particular sports because they are either succesful in them or genuiniely enjoy playing the sport regardless of the outcome or their own ability. Not sure how fans on the sidelines at a kids game affects overall participation.

Comment

So you think the primary motivation for kids participating or not particpating in soccer is due to the presense or lack of presence of fans??

Kids, and I don't think this is limited to only soccer, play particular sports because they are either succesful in them or genuiniely enjoy playing the sport regardless of the outcome or their own ability. Not sure how fans on the sidelines at a kids game affects overall participation.
                The thread of the conversation was lower participation among high school age kids. The point I was making about the only fans being the parents is the inevitable shift among teenagers from seeking parental approval to wanting and needing peer approval. If our competitive soccer was community based, like in Europe, the peers would be there cheering on the home team. That's why the kids like high school soccer.

Comment

The thread of the conversation was lower participation among high school age kids. The point I was making about the only fans being the parents is the inevitable shift among teenagers from seeking parental approval to wanting and needing peer approval. If our competitive soccer was community based, like in Europe, the peers would be there cheering on the home team. That's why the kids like high school soccer.
                  this is how i see it

Comment

My kid is not playing because she is seeking my approval. She's playing because it's her favorite thing in the world. She's happiest when she's doing any aspect of it - practice, training, games, traveling with the team, watching it on TV, etc. And yes, she loves peer approval - at the club, in H.S., etc. it's a big part of her identity.

Comment

My kid is not playing because she is seeking my approval. She's playing because it's her favorite thing in the world. She's happiest when she's doing any aspect of it - practice, training, games, traveling with the team, watching it on TV, etc. And yes, she loves peer approval - at the club, in H.S., etc. it's a big part of her identity.
                      That's great - I have boys so can't relate as well to your situation. I was looking at our programs compared to super power programs and trying to compare and contrast. Now that my kids are out of HS and we have been exposed to the programs in Spain and England, I think to be competitive we might need to rethink the way we approach things. Actually I was sad when my youngest dropped out of competitive soccer at 16 only to say he wanted to play HS. He was involved in football too, however we missed the competitive soccer lifestyle. Only to then realize - wait...do we miss it and why? Does he miss it? No. Reflections, that's all. All we can hope for is a happy well adjusted young adult. Good luck!

Comment

That's a great observation.
                        Imagine this ... your 13 year old is playing on an average team. You get up at 6 am to drive an hour to play on Sat morning after working all week. The coach doesnt play your kid 1 minute. In fact the team only has 3 subs, and 2 never get in the game. The team ends up losing anyway and as a parent you lost 5 hours of your day off. Seen it happen. Ahole coaches and apathetic club oversite kills this game.

Comment

Imagine this ... your 13 year old is playing on an average team. You get up at 6 am to drive an hour to play on Sat morning after working all week. The coach doesnt play your kid 1 minute. In fact the team only has 3 subs, and 2 never get in the game. The team ends up losing anyway and as a parent you lost 5 hours of your day off. Seen it happen. Ahole coaches and apathetic club oversite kills this game.
                          Imagine this ... your 13 year old missed most of the practices last week, didn't work hard in the practice he attended, and has a generally bad attitude. Coach sends a message by sitting the kid in the next game. So Dad, instead of helping the kid improve his attendance, attitude, and skills, gets on his computer at 7am on Saturday morning and complains anonymously to a bunch of strangers about how these problems are everybody else's fault.

Over-involved helicopter parents are killing this game.

Comment

I've seen it too. Our coach without fail will start the two players who miss training on a regular basis and who fly in right before the game starts. Yes they are good players but man what a sorry example to set. If I hear "player development" one more time from the DOC I will puke. Just admit it - it's the WIN that matters most to these coaches. AND while I'm on a rant, our club is just a middle of the road CDL team. No one is going to play anywhere after high school - so let the kids play!

Comment

Imagine this ... your 13 year old missed most of the practices last week, didn't work hard in the practice he attended, and has a generally bad attitude. Coach sends a message by sitting the kid in the next game. So Dad, instead of helping the kid improve his attendance, attitude, and skills, gets on his computer at 7am on Saturday morning and complains anonymously to a bunch of strangers about how these problems are everybody else's fault.

Stupid high costs are killing the game. If you take the kid on the team and take the money from the kid, play the kid significant time in the game. Or else do not put them on the team. Lower the fees way down and then go ahead and bench the kids.

And I have seen plenty of players who work really hard and are terrific team mates but who lack a degree of innate talent benched for all or most of a game.

Comment

Wrong The coach was a pre-maddona with hurt feelings and took it out on the players. Are you an A-hole coach too?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X