GDA Winter Showcase

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would a GDA team not have enough of their own players? Can GDA clubs even bring in Guest players from an outside club? The club might desperately need more players for spring and be recruiting.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Serious question here. I know that I will get bashed. My daughter sucks, youth soccer sucks, I am a loser for being on here, etc, etc. All of that is out of the way. Here is the situation.

We (both my daughter and I) received separate calls from a GDA club. We are not current members of that club. They would like my daughter to play in the upcoming GDA winter showcase with their U18/19 team. My daughter plays for a U16 team, so this would be playing up at least 2 years.

Of course the club is presenting it as a huge opportunity, college coach exposure, etc. Possible option to join the team full time in the spring. However, when I pulled up this particular team's record, it is horrible. I mean major defeats in the double digits. The roster is small, but to be expected at that age. Coach is not really known.

My daughter would miss several days of school, 2 of her high school games, plus a club game that same weekend. That's a lot to miss and she already made commitments to those people.

I am leaning one way. My daughter is still thinking about it. For those relatively few sane and coherent people still on TS, what are your thoughts on this option? Is the upside better than the downside? I am asking for a few decent opinions, a sounding board really. Obviously, I am not asking TS readers to make a decision. Basically, what would you do? Or perhaps your daughter is in a similar situation.

Thank you in advance.
      Great opportunity for your daughter to play take advantage of that and see if she likes the team/club/coach.

Comment

Why would a GDA team not have enough of their own players? Can GDA clubs even bring in Guest players from an outside club? The club might desperately need more players for spring and be recruiting.
        DP's must be members of the Academy Club's second level teams - and no other club's teams. Guest players are NOT allowed. This girl will need to quit her team if she is to be properly registered as a DP with the GDA team.

Comment

DP's must be members of the Academy Club's second level teams - and no other club's teams. Guest players are NOT allowed. This girl will need to quit her team if she is to be properly registered as a DP with the GDA team.
          Exactly! DIscovery players from outside the GDA club are not allowed. The player would have to leave her regular club team and register with the GDA club till the remainder of the year. So she better like playing at the GDA club and not just for one event.

Comment

Some clubs are carrying light rosters. But it's for a u19 team. Getting players who are likely already committed to participate isn't always easy and I bet some are playing their last HS games as seniors

Comment

Lol I think we know not all DA clubs are following the rules

Comment

OP here.

Yes, there appears to have been a miscommunication of information. This "small" requirement was not fully disclosed. It certainly complicates the decision process. In addition, the USSF has a deadline of Monday. It has already been quite a weekend of back and forth.

Comment

Some clubs are carrying light rosters. But it's for a u19 team. Getting players who are likely already committed to participate isn't always easy and I bet some are playing their last HS games as seniors
                  Could be. Going outside the GDA club to find a filler for the 99/00 GDS team is shear desperation. Then if the high school juniors and seniors come back after high school
                  Will the u16 ever get much PT?

Comment

Could be. Going outside the GDA club to find a filler for the 99/00 GDS team is shear desperation. Then if the high school juniors and seniors come back after high school
                    Will the u16 ever get much PT?
                    Not that poster but I posted that question a few days back. Coach won't know the player and has loyalty or obligation to give them much PT.

Comment

Not that poster but I posted that question a few days back. Coach won't know the player and has loyalty or obligation to give them much PT.
                      Not just worried about showcase playing time but would have to join the club and would get playing time in the spring?

Comment

OP here.

Yes, there appears to have been a miscommunication of information. This "small" requirement was not fully disclosed. It certainly complicates the decision process. In addition, the USSF has a deadline of Monday. It has already been quite a weekend of back and forth.
                        That this very important fact wasn't disclosed to you, either intentionally or by incompetence, speaks volumes about club management.

Comment

That this very important fact wasn't disclosed to you, either intentionally or by incompetence, speaks volumes about club management.
                          OP here.

With the GDA being new, I have to expect that not everyone is fully conversant with the rules. In addition, I've been dealing with youth soccer enough for many years and several children to know that it is not run by the sharpest tools in the shed.

This was a surprise and probably the largest factor in the decision process. Leaving a club with no guarantee of a roster spot in the spring did not sit well. Overall, it just was not the right fit at the right time. My daughter respectfully decline the invitation, but with a heavy interest for future opportunities.

That being said, I wanted to thank everyone on the forum for their opinions of viewpoints. I can't recall such a positive exchange on TS. It was refreshing. Thank you again.

Comment

No they can not use guest players. zero.

Comment

No they can not use guest players. zero.
                              GDA teams can have Discovery players but they must come from within the club. A new player could join the club or team at any time during the year and become a DP. There are rules like DPs can only play in 6 games during the year. Would have to look up the rules.

Comment

GDA teams can have Discovery players but they must come from within the club. A new player could join the club or team at any time during the year and become a DP. There are rules like DPs can only play in 6 games during the year. Would have to look up the rules.
                                Not quite, but in the OP case yes. If they commit to the club, but then it is not guest playing.

Player has to be on a team roster withing the 'club' between Aug 1 and March 1 to be added as a DP.
                                This is to stop the destructive end of year, guest playing-as tryout model.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X