Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    He doesn’t have time to educate the coaches. He will however, take a group of players and run their butts off on some trail up by the zoo. 11 year olds that need more technique work than fitness get smashed on trails....then they go to the TA with their terrible attitudes and poor character and don’t survive.
    That dead horse? April 2017. BTW, futsal is great for technique.

Which trail exactly? By the zoo covers a lot of territory.

Comment

The zoo training isn't all that frequent, is age appropriate, and doesn't include anything that a reasonably athletic kid can't handle. I've heard lots of lurid stories about it, but having seen it up close and personal--it's not that big of a deal. (Maybe Cony has gotten soft in his old age).

(The hardest part of Westside and fitness is the beach training at Pacific City. That's usually once in the year, in early June, and goes for a few hours, culminating with runs up the dune--followed by an epic BBQ on the beach afterwards).

And FWIW--if someone is whining about certain players on the 05 Timbers Academy team; I don't believe any of them ever had Cony as a coach (he usually coaches older kids, not the U12s and below).
      Sand dunes and waves plus level beach. Nothing compared to Tahuchi in Bolivia. People have the choice to send their kids elsewhere if they don't like the training. Cony does train teams together at times. People here get so fired up. Having moved here from SLO, it's been surprising. You have coaches and you have trainers. For some reason, people expect both to be one and the same. It's interesting for our family to see the different perspectives.

Comment

That dead horse? April 2017. BTW, futsal is great for technique.

Which trail exactly? By the zoo covers a lot of territory.
        They don't really do trail running. They do laps around the Vietnam memorial (yell at them for sacrilege if you like), and lots of steps and hill running.

Comment

I wasn’t arguing that. I think it’s great that Westside has these resources. My son is on Wedtsides 05 DA and we’ve never seen or heard of Cony’s Futsal knowledge. Does he regularly run Futsal sessions? Is he teaching the other 35 coaches how to teach Futsal?
          He regularly runs Futsal sessions for coaches, professional players and leagues all over the world. His futsal knowledge runs wide and deep

Comment

He regularly runs Futsal sessions for coaches, professional players and leagues all over the world. His futsal knowledge runs wide and deep
            That’s great!
            Does he do the same for the players and coaches in his club? We’ve never benefitted from his knowledge and my son plays on the top U12 DA team. Is he a paid employee? Or is he a volunteer. We’ve never seen him

Comment

That’s great!
              Does he do the same for the players and coaches in his club?
              Yes.

He teaches the coaches in futsal and other things.

We’ve never benefitted from his knowledge and my son plays on the top U12 DA team. Is he a paid employee? Or is he a volunteer. We’ve never seen him
              I'm sure you have, just not directly. He works with JV quite a bit, even if you don't know who he is or observe it personally.

Comment

That’s great!
                Does he do the same for the players and coaches in his club? We’ve never benefitted from his knowledge and my son plays on the top U12 DA team. Is he a paid employee? Or is he a volunteer. We’ve never seen him
                lol...this must have all of the Westside minions squirming and making the sign of the holy cross. Where have you gone Westside....hahahaha

Comment

Yes.

He teaches the coaches in futsal and other things.

I'm sure you have, just not directly. He works with JV quite a bit, even if you don't know who he is or observe it personally.
                  My son is an ‘05. He says Cony has never worked with his team. You would think with his vast knowledge he would at least work with the top teams

Comment

My son is an ‘05. He says Cony has never worked with his team. You would think with his vast knowledge he would at least work with the top teams
                    An 05 at Westside, or an 05 elsewhere?

If your son is on the 05 DA, Cony works with your son every day of practice, and at every game, unless there is a conflict (which happens, but rarely). Both futsal and oudoor. He's THE coach of that team, and he's not a absentee "name" coach that has name at the top of the roster but delegates all the work to assistants. He. Is. The Coach. Often times, he's the ONLY coach at practice and games.

If you're on 05 Copa (Westside's B team), Cony doesn't coach that team directly, but does pay close attention to it (three Copa players now have been promoted to the DA from Copa since the season started).

In addition to that, he's Westside's DOC, and also the DOC of metro futsal academy (an offshoot of Westside that focuses on futsal year round). And he does a lot of coaching clinics, both locally and around the world--these are for other coaches, not for players.

If you are an 05 at another club--you aren't expecting Westside's coaching staff to show up and coach your team, are you?

Comment

Robin Bostwick to WT FC

According to another thread, Robin Bostwick is leaving BSC (where he was the Development Academy director) to become the technical director of Washington Timbers. I can't find any press releases or announcements (one was copied and pasted to the other thread; it may have been an email to club members), but he is listed as the TD at WashT's website: http://www.washingtontimbers.com/home.php?layout=60330

What this means for BSC's DA program, I don't know. They have other A-licensed coaches on staff, so someone is available to take over if needed. (I can't imagine a DA team would be forced to shut down mid-season if an A-licensed coach leaves and nobody else is available with the required credentials, though they might be kicked out of the program if they fail to qualify next year).

Was a bit surprised that BSC was given a DA program in the first place. They are a decent club, but they are both relatively new (at the competitive level; excluding their Bridlemile days) and a relatively small one. They share turf with Westside, FC, THUSC, and ADF. I'm not sure the west side of town needs four DA programs.

Comment

He works with the coach of your son's team. He is the DOC and coaches his own teams. Rest assured, he has shared vast knowledge with your son's coach and your son has benefited. Just because you don't know doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Comment

He works with the coach of your son's team. He is the DOC and coaches his own teams. Rest assured, he has shared vast knowledge with your son's coach and your son has benefited. Just because you don't know doesn't mean it isn't happening.
                          Hahaha...just because your son's team sucks, it is not Cindy's fault.

Comment

Hahaha...just because your son's team sucks, it is not Cindy's fault.
                            Who is Cindy and what the hell are you talking about? Have another drink.

Comment

Who is Cindy and what the hell are you talking about? Have another drink.
                              I suspect "Cindy" is how someone's spell checker mangled "Cony"....

Comment

I suspect "Cindy" is how someone's spell checker mangled "Cony"....
                                I suspect some angry dad who hates Westside has had three too many.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X