Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    They are measuring decrease but not over all numbers in the sports. Should do boys and girls sports numbers separately. More girls and boys combined play soccer more than those other sports in 2018.

https://www.aspenprojectplay.org/kid...cipation-rates from 2016. Couldn't find data by gender

Basketball 4,336,000
    Baseball 3,677,000 + Fast pitch softball 290,000 (3,967,000 combined)
    Soccer 2,303,000
    Tackle Football 982,000 + Flag football 839,000 (1,821,000 combined)

Comment

https://www.aspenprojectplay.org/kid...cipation-rates from 2016. Couldn't find data by gender

Basketball 4,336,000
      Baseball 3,677,000 + Fast pitch softball 290,000 (3,967,000 combined)
      Soccer 2,303,000
      Tackle Football 982,000 + Flag football 839,000 (1,821,000 combined)
      For all the talk about baseball being dead, besides 1/3 more kids playing it than soccer in the US; it's revenue is not only higher than the NBA,NHL and MLS combined it draws higher revenue than the Premiere league. Baseball nightly broadcast on their regional networks dominate the local ratings as well as the cabal ratings. MLB revenue has set record highs for 15 straight years and was over 10 billion for 2017

Comment

For all the talk about baseball being dead, besides 1/3 more kids playing it than soccer in the US; it's revenue is not only higher than the NBA,NHL and MLS combined it draws higher revenue than the Premiere league. Baseball nightly broadcast on their regional networks dominate the local ratings as well as the cabal ratings. MLB revenue has set record highs for 15 straight years and was over 10 billion for 2017
        Baseball can handle a 15% drop in participation. Soccer, not so much. No wonder clubs (and leagues) are struggling to fill teams. There's too many of them to begin with but if demand drops a bit hopefully the garbage clubs drop away faster. Survival of the fittest. Tackle football is also seeing big drops because of the concussion issue. but a lot of areas have ramped up flag football and that's growing and helping to keep kids playing. That makes it easier to let girls play (even though I'm sure they're still a tiny %age).

Comment

Baseball can handle a 15% drop in participation. Soccer, not so much. No wonder clubs (and leagues) are struggling to fill teams. There's too many of them to begin with but if demand drops a bit hopefully the garbage clubs drop away faster. Survival of the fittest. Tackle football is also seeing big drops because of the concussion issue. but a lot of areas have ramped up flag football and that's growing and helping to keep kids playing. That makes it easier to let girls play (even though I'm sure they're still a tiny %age).
          Different regions of the country will be different. Florida is seeing population growth.

Comment

From the posted article above
            “But money, measured in average household income, is the largest indicator of whether a child is going to be physically active or play sports, the data shows.

And whether children are physically active, Farrey said, is another of the largest indicators as to what kind of adult that child will become.

“There’s reams and reams of research on this,” he said. “Kids who are physically active are less likely to be obese. They’re better in the classroom. They go to college. They’re more likely to be active parents. And because of that, their kids are more active.”

Are there more ways than team sports to be active for this generation? summer outside daycare activities like the playground and dodge ball. Keep them off FortN

Comment

From the posted article above
              “But money, measured in average household income, is the largest indicator of whether a child is going to be physically active or play sports, the data shows.

And whether children are physically active, Farrey said, is another of the largest indicators as to what kind of adult that child will become.

“There’s reams and reams of research on this,” he said. “Kids who are physically active are less likely to be obese. They’re better in the classroom. They go to college. They’re more likely to be active parents. And because of that, their kids are more active.”

Are there more ways than team sports to be active for this generation? summer outside daycare activities like the playground and dodge ball. Keep them off FortN
              I think there aren't enough options for less "athletic" kids, especially as they get into middle and high school. Unfortunately that's also when they're most self conscious too. I can't give specifics ideas but they need "sports" that are simply fun to play. Colleges may be a good place to look - the bigger schools have every kind of activity imaginable, even Quitdditch. Some kids won't ever feel comfortable doing team sports either. They might need to find more individual sports or things like yoga. Whatever it take, just get them moving! Anytime I'm at a large public setting I find it depressing how many kids are very overweight.

Also - and I'm a big proponent of this - there is not enough gym in schools any longer. I know some of us hated gym and still have nightmares about gym teachers :). But we know some kids will never move their bodies unless forced to. Their parents are couch potatoes and they will be too. Kids that have a physical outlet every day do better in school, have more energy and pay attention longer. It also helps reduce stress, which is becoming a huge issue in middle and high schools.

Comment

talking-soccer

talking-soccer..

Comment

I think there aren't enough options for less "athletic" kids, especially as they get into middle and high school. Unfortunately that's also when they're most self conscious too. I can't give specifics ideas but they need "sports" that are simply fun to play. Colleges may be a good place to look - the bigger schools have every kind of activity imaginable, even Quitdditch. Some kids won't ever feel comfortable doing team sports either. They might need to find more individual sports or things like yoga. Whatever it take, just get them moving! Anytime I'm at a large public setting I find it depressing how many kids are very overweight.

Also - and I'm a big proponent of this - there is not enough gym in schools any longer. I know some of us hated gym and still have nightmares about gym teachers :). But we know some kids will never move their bodies unless forced to. Their parents are couch potatoes and they will be too. Kids that have a physical outlet every day do better in school, have more energy and pay attention longer. It also helps reduce stress, which is becoming a huge issue in middle and high schools.
                  Exactly! The kids always say their friends don’t play soccer and they find something easier they can do in common like sand volleyball or frisbee golf. It gets them outside and socializing.

Comment

Soccer is already available for the less athletic kids.

Comment

Soccer is already available for the less athletic kids.
                      LAX as well.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X