Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    BS. I know plenty of low income players who tried out for NEFC and were not given any scholarship. It is need and ability based, not need based. No scholarships on regional B teams...
    Very few clubs have scholarships, maybe 1 per team.

Comment

I agree with Hope and sounds like most people on TS do as well. We don't like it, but as another said "it is what it is". My view is pretty simplistic: follow the money.

There is a lot of money in the US for Basketball and Football. under-privileged kids follow "baller" dreams and the stars are given sponsored pathways

There is even more money in International Futbol/Soccer supportimg the aforementioned infrastructure that provides stars with many options for sponsored pathways

There is virtually no money in US Soccer, and therefore no top-down sponsorship.
      The "money" in US Soccer actually comes from football and basketball via Title IX in the form off girls college scholarships.

I wish it weren't true, but the love of the game is not enough. The so called soccer culture in other countries is really just revenue opportunity

Comment

I agree with Hope and sounds like most people on TS do as well. We don't like it, but as another said "it is what it is". My view is pretty simplistic: follow the money.

There is a lot of money in the US for Basketball and Football. under-privileged kids follow "baller" dreams and the stars are given sponsored pathways

There is even more money in International Futbol/Soccer supportimg the aforementioned infrastructure that provides stars with many options for sponsored pathways

There is virtually no money in US Soccer, and therefore no top-down sponsorship.
        The "money" in US Soccer actually comes from football and basketball via Title IX in the form off girls college scholarships.

I wish it weren't true, but the love of the game is not enough. The so called soccer culture in other countries is really just revenue opportunity
        Agreed it is a multifaceted issue with no simple fix, specially now that $$$ entered the youth system and took over.

Comment

Agreed it is a multifaceted issue with no simple fix, specially now that $$$ entered the youth system and took over.
          Only fix is a parental rebellion against the low hanging fruit of multiple Distant showcases. Agree to one far away and any others must be in driving distance.

Comment

Only fix is a parental rebellion against the low hanging fruit of multiple Distant showcases. Agree to one far away and any others must be in driving distance.
            I agree it's the only way things will change - money talks - but parents won't. They're afraid to say no, afraid it will limit their child's opportunities. They've bought into the story. Until someone can demonstrate a different way can produce similar results, it won't change.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
              I agree it's the only way things will change - money talks - but parents won't. They're afraid to say no, afraid it will limit their child's opportunities. They've bought into the story. Until someone can demonstrate a different way can produce similar results, it won't change.
              It's not just showcases. It's the fees to participate. It's the overinvolved parents who think they have the next Mia. That's why it is not shocking that playing time drops off in college. Parents try to pay to play, but coaches are going to try their best kids.

Comment

Especially now? It's been this way for over 20 years now, gramps.

Comment

Yes, the proliferation of clubs and teams exploded after the 99 WNT World Cup win.

Comment

League proliferation has made it much worse. More leagues, more clubs, all battling it out over what has been a pretty flat player participation numbers for the last few years. They all have to offer something different to prove their worth. Playing local competition would only uncover the fallacy that the club or league is superior to the one down the road.

Comment

Yes, the proliferation of clubs and teams exploded after the 99 WNT World Cup win.
                      Timed with the arrival of illegal immigrant British coaches en masse...😉😉

Comment

The words of a rich white woman. So powerful.

Comment

She can't be right because she is a woman or successful or white? That is a useless comment. What did she say that was wrong and why?

Comment

Solo came from what is best described as poor white trash. In today's market she might never have made it to where she did. Playing was a lot cheaper back then as were paths to discovery. She also doesn't make much in endorsements because she's toxic

Comment

It's not just showcases. It's the fees to participate. It's the overinvolved parents who think they have the next Mia. That's why it is not shocking that playing time drops off in college. Parents try to pay to play, but coaches are going to try their best kids.
                              Pay to play is only part of the issue. The other issue is distance...to play on a top level club team (DA, ECNL, NPL) you have to live near where the teams practice...which is not easy. Even if the DA, ECNL or NPL teams waived their fee's...how many have the time and money to drive to Lancaster or wherever else...what if you live in New Bedford or Lynn? We drive 3x per week for these practice and when the practice is at 6:30 and I have to leave work to get my kid and then sit in 128 traffic...it's very, very tough. What about travel to games? (DA or ECNL travel is ridiculous...NPL not so bad). Soccer is a very big commitment that not every parent wants to make. Look at Clint Dempsey and his six hour round trip to practice when he was a youth player. How many of your parents can do that based on your current schedule? How many would do three hour round trips 3x per week for 4 years even if you could work it in to your schedule?

Again, I'm not saying 'Pay to Play' is good...but it isn't the only problem. In Europe soccer is so common it is like Little League Baseball...there's a field and team every couple of miles.

Comment

Solo came from what is best described as poor white trash. In today's market she might never have made it to where she did. Playing was a lot cheaper back then as were paths to discovery. She also doesn't make much in endorsements because she's toxic
                                You talk as if she played in the 50’s...there is NOBODY who does not get noticed
                                Hello IPhone and social media

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X