Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I'm confused. Because now Stanford, USC, Cal suck? Is that what you are saying?
    epic twisting going on here.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
      epic twisting going on here.
      It sure seems that way.

Comment

Fair enough. I've seen too many "soccer first" posters disparage others with the "hit the books" posts for too long.
        If you are getting meaningful money from a perennial top 20 school then whether you like it or not the expectations from that school IS soccer first. Thats why they provide all sorts of academic assistance to try and help players stay with kids who have a lot more time on their hands. Thats why some of the top programs encourage recruits to come in early and/or attend summer school To get class loads DOWN in season so they can focus on soccer.

its a job. anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves and its tough to keep up becasue they are not going to make many concessions for you. manage your time etc, but they EXPECT you to perform on the soccer pitch.

Comment

It sure seems that way.

No it doesnt. read what written instead of trying to find some hidden meaning in what is not.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
            No it doesnt. read what written instead of trying to find some hidden meaning in what is not.
            There's a lot of illiterate sh** posted her, but I'll try again.

Comment

There's a lot of illiterate sh** posted her, but I'll try again.
              Hahhaah OP here and i agree. I apologize if my comments were not clear. not my intern. I never mentioned other Pac-12 schools.

Im a pretty basic guy. Kids tend to take the best option available to them. The more talented you re, the more options. A big recruiting class normally is indicative of a coaching change or poor planning. Either way, a top prospect talking to other schools will be told this by other schools.

For example, during recruiting my daughter was specifically told by 2 AC schools to be sure to clarify the status of the coach if she planned on visiting a certain well known school. She was not interested in the school, but my point is coaching changes are usually pretty well signaled in advance

Comment

Because they jumped at offer to play in a Power 5, likely committing as a Freshman or early Soph year. At least half the class probably committed to the old coach.

Once you pull yourself out, and label as committed, going back into the pool can be really tough, especially with programs that recruit early. There is zero money / spots left by end of Soph year.
                It's a huge risk with committing early - coach quits or gets fired before you set foot on campus or shortly after. So you take a chance with the new guy, who many times will clean house and put in his own picks, or try and find something elsewhere. Depending on timing you may be SOL, or have to take a step backwards in terms of the program or the school. Sometimes you can snag more money later on if you prove yourself but there's no guarantees.

Comment

It's a huge risk with committing early - coach quits or gets fired before you set foot on campus or shortly after. So you take a chance with the new guy, who many times will clean house and put in his own picks, or try and find something elsewhere. Depending on timing you may be SOL, or have to take a step backwards in terms of the program or the school. Sometimes you can snag more money later on if you prove yourself but there's no guarantees.
                  its not a huge risk if you are smart about it and really good. when you commit early, you keep all your options open by being polite and respectful to all your other options/suitors. Verbal commits are not binding and should not stop you from continuing to do your due diligence. Too many kids rush out to post the good news and buy all the gear.

if you are a talented player, you can work around this pretty easily.

Comment

its not a huge risk if you are smart about it and really good. when you commit early, you keep all your options open by being polite and respectful to all your other options/suitors. Verbal commits are not binding and should not stop you from continuing to do your due diligence. Too many kids rush out to post the good news and buy all the gear.

Please. When a coach quits or gets fired when you are entering your senior year of HS, there is zero money still out there. Sure you can walk on somewhere, but it's not as easy for commoners as it is for you. Not everyone has deep pockets and the scholarship matters to them. I'm sure many will take the redshirt, get some college credits and transfer next winter.

Comment

Please. When a coach quits or gets fired when you are entering your senior year of HS, there is zero money still out there. Sure you can walk on somewhere, but it's not as easy for commoners as it is for you. Not everyone has deep pockets and the scholarship matters to them. I'm sure many will take the redshirt, get some college credits and transfer next winter.
                      I said, if you are really talented its not an issue and I stand by that 100 pct. Has nothing to do with deep pockets and everything to do with how good the player is. If a top player shakes loose for some reason, the best scholls will find a way to make it happen.

I get it, its is not something that happens for most players. but I never said it did

Comment

an BTW, the OP was - It's a huge risk with committing early - coach quits or gets fired before you set foot on campus

Comment

So in other words your advice will work for 2% of players whose parents can afford to pay full boat the first year. I agree you should never burn bridges because you never know what may happen (politely turn down your offer with a brief reason why, thank you for the opportunity yada yada) but once you've committed you're off the market.

Comment

I said, if you are really talented its not an issue and I stand by that 100 pct. Has nothing to do with deep pockets and everything to do with how good the player is. If a top player shakes loose for some reason, the best scholls will find a way to make it happen.

I get it, its is not something that happens for most players. but I never said it did
                            First off you are dialoguing with someone who obviously has no experience in the matter so why bother. It’s like talking to a wall. Secondly, let’s not make this seem as though only ACC bound prospects have options shall we, it’s all relative to where the program sits in the rankings and how desirable the prospect is to the head coaches at competing programs. Not everyone is a top of the heap ACC prospect but every program has what it considers its top prospect. Those are the kids who have options.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X