Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    With what feels like 1,000 games MLB will never get huge numbers at any one average game. Basketball also has an absurdly long season. Much easier to pack fans into the stands when the season is shorter and fewer games, like with football or soccer.
    Baseball has its regional sports networks which are often owned by the team (YES for example) paying huge rights fees. They do not need huge attendance numbers

MLS has twice the number of games than does NFL. NFL plays in larger stadiums though.

Comment

Atlanta is doing a lot of things right, including having ownership that cares and is investing in the future. But the Revs are a low bar to compare against :)
      Agreed that Revs are a very low bar. Just wanted to use them and NY teams has a measuring stick

NYCFC has done pretty good in terms of success on field, attendance and DA.

Comment

we started this discussion of the finances of MLS to debate whether MLS teams care to spend on academies. I think we all agree that since there's no way to monetize the players coming out of the academies, except marginally through the home-grown effort, it's difficult to see why MLS clubs would spend the $.

Here's a different perspective - an MLS club like NYRB uses DA as a marketing tool to support their (unbelievably) vast RDS and non-RDS youth programs. Has anyone looked to see how many programs RB are running each season? It's crazy. And all the marketing is how the pathway to the pros starts through their programs. I would bet the profits they rake off their youth programs more than pays for their DA expenses, so virtuous circle?

Comment

Agreed that Revs are a very low bar. Just wanted to use them and NY teams has a measuring stick

NYCFC has done pretty good in terms of success on field, attendance and DA.
          Because they're spending behind it and are well run.

Comment

we started this discussion of the finances of MLS to debate whether MLS teams care to spend on academies. I think we all agree that since there's no way to monetize the players coming out of the academies, except marginally through the home-grown effort, it's difficult to see why MLS clubs would spend the $.

Here's a different perspective - an MLS club like NYRB uses DA as a marketing tool to support their (unbelievably) vast RDS and non-RDS youth programs. Has anyone looked to see how many programs RB are running each season? It's crazy. And all the marketing is how the pathway to the pros starts through their programs. I would bet the profits they rake off their youth programs more than pays for their DA expenses, so virtuous circle?
            That helps pay for DA. There was a survey a year or two ago about what clubs pay for their DA programs - RedBulls were I think $4.5M and the Revs were 1.5. You need a lot of camps to covers those costs, which you'd want to do given you can't mack much money off a homegrown player. Other clubs don't do nearly as much but all have some element of it. It generates revenue and gives them a chance to scout a few players.

Now imagine what it costs to run a residency program? That's what the big clubs all around the world have. This may have been poster already but read this to see what is happening elsewhere. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/27/s...y-academy.html Even if clubs could afford it few US parents would sign their kids over like elsewhere. When a soccer career, not college, is your motivator things look very different.

Comment

That helps pay for DA. There was a survey a year or two ago about what clubs pay for their DA programs - RedBulls were I think $4.5M and the Revs were 1.5. You need a lot of camps to covers those costs, which you'd want to do given you can't mack much money off a homegrown player. Other clubs don't do nearly as much but all have some element of it. It generates revenue and gives them a chance to scout a few players.

Now imagine what it costs to run a residency program? That's what the big clubs all around the world have. This may have been poster already but read this to see what is happening elsewhere. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/27/s...y-academy.html Even if clubs could afford it few US parents would sign their kids over like elsewhere. When a soccer career, not college, is your motivator things look very different.
              Put in a zip code and see how many camps come up just for this summer. Then remember they do this year-round and some of the summer camps already passed.

https://www.rbnytraining.com/user-pa...amps/index.asp

I think they net more than $4.5mm.

Comment

RDS helps to support the RB DAP. No problem with that what so ever. Players get great training and the dream. The club gets that revenue stream. No compare RB to Revs, both teams have same youth training. Revs pocket their money and RBs plow it back into DAP

I wouldn't down play the homegrown angle. Good youth development leads to good, cheap first teams. That home grown talent is yours for the foreseeable future. No other MLS team can draft that prospect. if management is committed. A big IF. See teams like the Red Bull's and FC Dallas. It's similar to minor league baseball.

Now don't get me wrong, be able to sell those homegrown players would be a Huge money maker. A great way to monetize that player investment

Comment

Put in a zip code and see how many camps come up just for this summer. Then remember they do this year-round and some of the summer camps already passed.

So what? Then it funds the first team too. As said above, they do plow it back into their DA program which is how it should be. Their camps and programs are well run, as long as you don't think your kid will get magically discovered there. NYCFC and other clubs are also investing heavily, but naturally will take whatever revenue streams they can to help pay for youth development. The Revs are just off the charts awful in all aspects. They're the gold standard of what not to do, first team and youth players.

Comment

More importantly, how many gems do they find out wherever they are running camps that make it onto their teams and keep them as a top academy??

Comment

More importantly, how many gems do they find out wherever they are running camps that make it onto their teams and keep them as a top academy??
                      Not many an no parent should send their kids thinking that will happen. It's just good extra training, that is all. Pro academies take the top players from wherever they trained.

Comment

Not many an no parent should send their kids thinking that will happen. It's just good extra training, that is all. Pro academies take the top players from wherever they trained.
                        I agree not many, but the point is, if they see a semi-local kid and love that kid and offer them a spot to play for free in their academy, they get another kid that has talent.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X