Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And to answer the question about local versus big club:

small club pulls from a small radius, maybe 20 minutes, and is not really known outside the state

big club that draws from a much bigger area and would be known outside the state.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I think the point is the post which asks, "Is the cost worth club soccer?"

Wow it must be nice that money is not an issue for you!
      the point was is the cost for club soccer worth it, and the poster was discussing the time the kid spent in sports versus what he'd be doing otherwise. not that money isn't the issue, but the time they are spending playing ANY sport, versus hanging out, etc. sports, any level, keep kids busy and in the end, tired, hence more home time.

Comment

OMG, I am not suggesting my son is academy level, D1 material or Ronaldo.

Not one single freshman made varsity -- it is a huge high school. He wants to have a chance next year though. There were very few sophomores who made it this year.

He's a late bloomer kind of athlete, puberty has helped him. Always, since day one, had better than average vision and ball control. Travel team coach also coached at an "elite" club, so presumably he got excellent training since 10yo. He just didn't play winter/summer like the clubs, or tons of tournaments. Town team was pretty good though, played at high level often against club teams.

Why do you think I'm lying? What would be the point? As far as someone noticing him who has the ability to help him move to big club level, it was purely a matter of luck -- being in the right place when the right person was there.
        I think you already know the answer and you actually posted it "...he was never that committed..." getting / receiving attention can boost one's ego, but what is even your point? pushing him off to college to play? realize what you've already said and know that kids who have been and who are currently very committed players, may in the end not have enough of what it takes to play at that level. Desire needs to drive them. sounds like HE needs to find what he would really like to do... Dad needs to take a backseat and let the kid find it for himself.

Comment

I think you already know the answer and you actually posted it "...he was never that committed..." getting / receiving attention can boost one's ego, but what is even your point? pushing him off to college to play? realize what you've already said and know that kids who have been and who are currently very committed players, may in the end not have enough of what it takes to play at that level. Desire needs to drive them. sounds like HE needs to find what he would really like to do... Dad needs to take a backseat and let the kid find it for himself.
          I know how that sounded, and agree to a point. But his commitment now is more than what it was a few years ago when he wanted to play all the sports and not be soley focused on soccer. As he's gotten older he's enjoyed it more and more, and is coming into his own a bit in the sport. Now he watches matches for fun, he didn't used to do that. I could care less what he does. We put him in rec in elementary school, and the move to travel was completely his desire at 10yo. If he goes to club now, it will be his decision too. But it's my money.

Comment

why would you pay?
            Bayern Munich is now coming, joining FC Bescola ( Barcelona )

why go to club? to do what? Pay the $ 2000-2500 to "make the academy team"?
            How many of the "academy" coaches put the kids into D1 level schools?
            How many of the "academy kids" make it from Florida to the national team at 17-18?

Comment

the point was is the cost for club soccer worth it, and the poster was discussing the time the kid spent in sports versus what he'd be doing otherwise. not that money isn't the issue, but the time they are spending playing ANY sport, versus hanging out, etc. sports, any level, keep kids busy and in the end, tired, hence more home time.
              I hear what you are trying to say, and I think that the intent is good, but at some point, travel/HS soccer ends, and then what? Your child has been micromanaged his/hers entire life, and off to college or elsewhere, and all of this, "Free," unsupervised time to deal with when they never-ever had that option before!

At some point, they will do what they will do, and there will be very little that you can do about it; should those waters be tested before the age of 18, I think so. And valuable lessons could and will be learned without long term consequences.

The cost of travel soccer is ludicrous, and anyone that tries to justify it other than the top 5% of True Development Clubs is either part of the club, or delusional.

Comment

High Soccer is more fun.no money. Does not lead to wnything but neither does club soccer for99.5 percent of the boys. As for girls soccer lesding to scholarships. As long as they have a pulse and good grades dozens of high school sports from field hockey to softball to tennis lead to free ride to any college with a big time football and baskrtball program.

Comment

As for girls soccer lesding to scholarships. As long as they have a pulse and good grades dozens of high school sports from field hockey to softball to tennis lead to free ride to any college with a big time football and baskrtball program.
                  And that's some real truth right there!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X