Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm getting bombarded with ID camps requests !!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    If you have to pay to attend, it is not worth it. Real ID camps do not cost for you to attend because they are actually ID ing the kids there.

Not necessarily true. But not completely false. ID camps or any camp is partially a way for coaches, especially assistant coaches to make money. They arent paid much by the college if it isnt a big school so they do things to make a living.

Our kid attended a few with various experiences. I stick to the idea that if you have had some communication with the coach and it is a school you would consider, then dont count it out.

Comment

It's one thing for the ID camp to charge $60-$100, but just saw the University of Miami charging $200 for a 1 day clinic. Now THAT is a money maker. And a joke.

Comment

It's one thing for the ID camp to charge $60-$100, but just saw the University of Miami charging $200 for a 1 day clinic. Now THAT is a money maker. And a joke.
        Must be for women. There is no Div 1 men's program @ Miami

Comment

What about these Winter Combines all over the country. What's the difference between this and an ID camp ?

There's one of those coming up in FL in December but we can't go as it's too close to the Disney Showcase.

Comment

Or it can be like the St. Leo Camp this past Summer. A 1 day ID camp that was reported to have multiple college coaches in attendance. The only coach was the St. Leo coach. Cancelled afternoon session due the "radar" and impending weather. Said he would make it up in the fall. Not a word since....now that is taking your money.

Comment

When is the right age to take your kid to these camps or combines ? Is 15 too soon or do we wait until he's a junior ?

Comment

$200 for 6 hours (9-3)!!! That is ridiculous!!

Comment

Or it can be like the St. Leo Camp this past Summer. A 1 day ID camp that was reported to have multiple college coaches in attendance. The only coach was the St. Leo coach. Cancelled afternoon session due the "radar" and impending weather. Said he would make it up in the fall. Not a word since....now that is taking your money.
                  USF did the same thing this past summer. Advertised many schools that did not attend the camp.

Comment

What about these Winter Combines all over the country. What's the difference between this and an ID camp ?

There's one of those coming up in FL in December but we can't go as it's too close to the Disney Showcase.
                    You have to invite the coach to come see the player at these combines. What if you don't get any coaches there? I guess you take a chance that a coach that's there looking at someone else might see you

Comment

I find it so strange that at our club the DOC is very connected to college soccer and college soccer coaches, and when parents asked about what they need to do to move forward to the soccer college department, he said to go to as many ID camps as possible? Why? He himself is more than qualified to evaluate a player, and then wouldn't it make sense that he would be the facilitator to connect with possible college coaches since his resumé is loaded with connections?

Comment

I find it so strange that at our club the DOC is very connected to college soccer and college soccer coaches, and when parents asked about what they need to do to move forward to the soccer college department, he said to go to as many ID camps as possible? Why? He himself is more than qualified to evaluate a player, and then wouldn't it make sense that he would be the facilitator to connect with possible college coaches since his resumé is loaded with connections?

Couple things come to my mind. First, a coach or DOC with a lot of college connections can be a good thing but I'm not sure what these parents are expecting to hear. Are they expecting he is just going to say he will call his buddy and get them a scholarship?

In my personal opinion, his answer is wrong but not surprising. ID camps can be a good tool but I wouldnt say attend as many as you can. I would be selective in that you should do the ones attended by the schools you are interested in and have made contact with the coach.

This is the thing about sports. It is rarely as romantic as we want it to be. Coaches arent typically just going to discover a player because they happened upon them at a tournament or camp. First, there is no way to give every player enough attention in those settings so they have to narrow down to the kids they came to see. The only time someone will catch their eye is if they have exception speed, enough that they stand out. On a competitive soccer field, it is far harder to stand out than most parents thing. A coach spending 20 minutes watching a game wont necessarily pick up on the little things that make a player special. And camps are primarily a revenue making venture with some coaches using them smartly as a recruiting tool.

The very best way to do this is not bank on a one day camp. It can work but it isnt likely. The absolute best way is to communicate with coaches early so they can see your kid play in multiple tournaments or games over the coure of a couple of years. They can have time to get more familiar with them as a player and a person. It will also help the family because over time, only interested coaches will continue to come. Over that time maybe mix in some ID camps not only to get in front of coaches you have communicated with but to get an idea of what the coaches are like on the field.

Where a connected DOC or coach can help is as a reference basically. You are interested in a school they have a connection with so you can ask him specifically to contact that coach. Keep in mind they have to be honest so you might want to make sure they are going to have something positive to say. If they tell one of their connections that a kid is a stud and they arent, they lose credibilty with that contact.

After going through the process and being very confused, that is how I think it works best. We did it completely wrong but it worked out in the end.

Comment

We are done spending money on ID camps! Have went to numerous camps over the years and most are a waste of time.

Comment

Couple things come to my mind. First, a coach or DOC with a lot of college connections can be a good thing but I'm not sure what these parents are expecting to hear. Are they expecting he is just going to say he will call his buddy and get them a scholarship?

In my personal opinion, his answer is wrong but not surprising. ID camps can be a good tool but I wouldnt say attend as many as you can. I would be selective in that you should do the ones attended by the schools you are interested in and have made contact with the coach.

This is the thing about sports. It is rarely as romantic as we want it to be. Coaches arent typically just going to discover a player because they happened upon them at a tournament or camp. First, there is no way to give every player enough attention in those settings so they have to narrow down to the kids they came to see. The only time someone will catch their eye is if they have exception speed, enough that they stand out. On a competitive soccer field, it is far harder to stand out than most parents thing. A coach spending 20 minutes watching a game wont necessarily pick up on the little things that make a player special. And camps are primarily a revenue making venture with some coaches using them smartly as a recruiting tool.

The very best way to do this is not bank on a one day camp. It can work but it isnt likely. The absolute best way is to communicate with coaches early so they can see your kid play in multiple tournaments or games over the coure of a couple of years. They can have time to get more familiar with them as a player and a person. It will also help the family because over time, only interested coaches will continue to come. Over that time maybe mix in some ID camps not only to get in front of coaches you have communicated with but to get an idea of what the coaches are like on the field.

Where a connected DOC or coach can help is as a reference basically. You are interested in a school they have a connection with so you can ask him specifically to contact that coach. Keep in mind they have to be honest so you might want to make sure they are going to have something positive to say. If they tell one of their connections that a kid is a stud and they arent, they lose credibilty with that contact.

After going through the process and being very confused, that is how I think it works best. We did it completely wrong but it worked out in the end.
                            Speed is not the only way to stand out. For girls, striking the ball well with both feet stands out, ability to play in the air, move off the ball, ability to defend and attack 1v1 all stand out. The ability to play quick 1-2 touch soccer also stands out.

Comment

We are done spending money on ID camps! Have went to numerous camps over the years and most are a waste of time.
                              The college coaches will undoubtedly be upset about this development. My daughter is going to a top 10 D1 school in large part because she attended a 2 day clinic. Best of luck not taking the opportunity to play in front of the schools you are interested in.

Comment

Speed is not the only way to stand out. For girls, striking the ball well with both feet stands out, ability to play in the air, move off the ball, ability to defend and attack 1v1 all stand out. The ability to play quick 1-2 touch soccer also stands out.

I agree with you but what I'm saying is, those things wont likely be noticed by a coach who isnt there specifically to watch that kid. This is why it is important to contact coaches so they will come to specifically watch you. It just isnt physically possible to look for those attributes in every player at the tournament or even on one field.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X