Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Funny, my kid is at the other end of the spectrum. Playing ball and going to school for almost nothing. Granted, the money we spent travelling, tournaments, etc., probably would have done almost the same.

But I wouldn't trade it for anything. Keeping kids active, engaged, in addition to the fitness, adaptability, and learning to set goals. All of these and more benefits were realized through soccer. By the time they get to u18, most of the kids left are those committed to playing at the next level, or trying to.

Do some folks go crazy? Sure, but that is true of any sport. As long as the kid is having a great time and experiences, why not pursue it?
    I don't think the OP meant not to pursue soccer at the next level. I got from it that you need to enjoy all aspects of what soccer can bring and not make the run to being recruited the only thing that it is about. we split in our house with kids that did go all the way, and kids that after HS that was the end of playing the sport, but there is so much more to getting a kid to college, enjoy it all.

Comment

YES!! You are so right. My kids are in college now. And everything you said is "right on". But it is hard getting this through to young parents. I wonder who you are and if I know you. Your words are my words!
      Yes, you know me. We shares a hotel room together. Ergo, my comment about not doing that.

Comment

Yes, you know me. We shares a hotel room together. Ergo, my comment about not doing that.
        Clearwater chargers are done. FC Sarasota is back to the storm. Braden River is now downgraded to division II and III. So maybe this area should just concentrate on HS soccer. Were there any winners over the past 4 years?

Comment

the area

this area iwill continue to be mediocre for the foreseeable future. it will takes a person with ambition and vision to raise the tide and that person does not exist at this time. The demographics in this area are a challenge as well. Low income combined with low education is not a great combination. The commute times are too far. the cost is too much, for most. this area produces some good football players basically because its free (run by the public schools) and doesn't require the same skill development at early ages. kids from this area better study real hard and try to have a valuable skill set that is worth something to somebody- agree that soccer is a great sport, and teaches a lot of great things to kids and is important in that regard- otherwise don't kid yourself.

Comment

this area iwill continue to be mediocre for the foreseeable future. it will takes a person with ambition and vision to raise the tide and that person does not exist at this time. The demographics in this area are a challenge as well. Low income combined with low education is not a great combination. The commute times are too far. the cost is too much, for most. this area produces some good football players basically because its free (run by the public schools) and doesn't require the same skill development at early ages. kids from this area better study real hard and try to have a valuable skill set that is worth something to somebody- agree that soccer is a great sport, and teaches a lot of great things to kids and is important in that regard- otherwise don't kid yourself.
            Your writing style and content give you away. You are employed as a sports writer for the Herald, right? or you are married to them. Have seen the same thing in print.

Comment

The B'ton Herald reporters don't write nearly as well as the post you were commenting on.

Comment

The B'ton Herald reporters don't write nearly as well as the post you were commenting on.
                what seems apparent is that they no longer employ anyone to proof what is written. are they just so full of themselves they think the general public doesn't notice or won't pick up on it?

Comment

Club soccer appears to be dying out in this area...is it the economy? Has it become too expensive and time consuming. Remember the days when your field was less tha 5 miles away and the cost was 2-300.00 . Local tournaments were fun and well attended. If you ask me those were the good old days.

Comment

Club soccer appears to be dying out in this area...is it the economy? Has it become too expensive and time consuming. Remember the days when your field was less tha 5 miles away and the cost was 2-300.00 . Local tournaments were fun and well attended. If you ask me those were the good old days.
                    perhaps club soccer as you knew it is dying... obviously the cost of everything has risen over the last 5 yrs, but club soccer is not going anywhere. the very fact that Mayso can and did rise from the dead after "merging" with Sarasota FC, says a lot about this community. Clubs are doing well with attracting kids that are interested; what the local clubs are not so good at doing is moving that very talented and committed kid to a team where they have the opportunity for their best training and development. Problem is that even the rec teams want to keep the talented kids. It was evident with one of ours when a coach did not want to release her from a DII team that only played USA league & Region C, to a team that was playing in the CDL and would play State Cup and numerous other tournaments (several years ago for those CDL bashers). I would like to see the academies and clubs with elite teams in the area actually hold perhaps bi-annual clinics where they ask the community kids, girls and boys, to come out to be seen by qualified coaches/evaluators. This helps to ensure that all kids regardless of economic means gets the opportunity to be looked at. A one day event, done twice a year, held at our local Park. It could be a soccer fair of sorts, where information is provided to parents and kids concerning all the different levels of soccer and they can decide if playing a more advanced soccer is what they want to invest time and money in, particularly since many kids just want to play recreationally and that needs to be emphasized too. Soccer is for all kids. Part of the problem is the clubs/coaches don't want that information passed on to parents. They want to hoard the best kids. This is where our local clubs are failing our kids.

Comment

... I would like to see the academies and clubs with elite teams in the area actually hold perhaps bi-annual clinics where they ask the community kids, girls and boys, to come out to be seen by qualified coaches/evaluators. This helps to ensure that all kids regardless of economic means gets the opportunity to be looked at. A one day event, done twice a year, held at our local Park. It could be a soccer fair of sorts, where information is provided to parents and kids concerning all the different levels of soccer and they can decide if playing a more advanced soccer is what they want to invest time and money in, particularly since many kids just want to play recreationally and that needs to be emphasized too. Soccer is for all kids. Part of the problem is the clubs/coaches don't want that information passed on to parents. They want to hoard the best kids. This is where our local clubs are failing our kids.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of local clubs which will allow Development Academy and other elite program coaches and administrators to make use of local fields for player identification and informational soccer clinics and fairs.

While I totally agree that the more talented players should have opportunities to be seen by, and participate in, higher level programs, the biggest area complaints have been that the programs of IMG and the Chargers are too expensive and that losing players to programs that are not headquartered in Bradenton or Sarasota is not good for the local soccer community.

Comment

Where did TM go?

Comment

Unfortunately, I am not aware of local clubs which will allow Development Academy and other elite program coaches and administrators to make use of local fields for player identification and informational soccer clinics and fairs.

While I totally agree that the more talented players should have opportunities to be seen by, and participate in, higher level programs, the biggest area complaints have been that the programs of IMG and the Chargers are too expensive and that losing players to programs that are not headquartered in Bradenton or Sarasota is not good for the local soccer community.
                          It is exactly what they should do though. the other avenues, ODP, PDP's, etc., often aren't even known by parents of many youth players. Kids get into those programs through their club connections and really who their parents are. Money is the stream by which many "elite" players flow. Sad statement as so much talent is left behind. Truth is that there are players from this area that can afford to and do travel out of the area to play for Chargers/Wff/TBU, the numbers are not huge but there are some. Others, have looked into and chosen IMG; Much of the problem is that parents don't have access to information to make the best decisions. a community event would provide this and possibly allow some kids to be identified that would otherwise not have had any chance of moving on to an "elite" team. The clubs in the area are so afraid of losing what players they have; they could possibly have even more players if they provided information to the community on just what is available to all levels of players. parents need information.

Comment

What to do with a talented U8 player?

I'm new to this board and to the area. Say you have a kid that is very good at soccer at a young age (U8). Where do you go after rec? I looked at LWR chargers, BRSC, Mayso, etc. I don't want to shell out thousands of dollars on a kid who might not want to play soccer in a few years down the road if they are pushed too early. What's the harm in letting them play travel at one of these clubs for a few years? They get training (touches, footwork, skill, form, etc.) twice a week and they get to play games.
                            I would like to think my kid might be good enough to play soccer in college (one day) but that's a parents dream. Do you need to get your foot in the door at these local clubs first and then switch later if you kid continues to develop and shows interest?
                            What is the next step after this for a family in the Manatee area? I was reading about IMG but is that a team or a developmental school?

Comment

I'm new to this board and to the area. Say you have a kid that is very good at soccer at a young age (U8). Where do you go after rec? I looked at LWR chargers, BRSC, Mayso, etc. I don't want to shell out thousands of dollars on a kid who might not want to play soccer in a few years down the road if they are pushed too early. What's the harm in letting them play travel at one of these clubs for a few years? They get training (touches, footwork, skill, form, etc.) twice a week and they get to play games.
                              I would like to think my kid might be good enough to play soccer in college (one day) but that's a parents dream. Do you need to get your foot in the door at these local clubs first and then switch later if you kid continues to develop and shows interest?
                              What is the next step after this for a family in the Manatee area? I was reading about IMG but is that a team or a developmental school?
                              This is a faked post by a troll. Nice try.

Comment

It is exactly what they should do though. the other avenues, ODP, PDP's, etc., often aren't even known by parents of many youth players. Kids get into those programs through their club connections and really who their parents are. Money is the stream by which many "elite" players flow. Sad statement as so much talent is left behind. Truth is that there are players from this area that can afford to and do travel out of the area to play for Chargers/Wff/TBU, the numbers are not huge but there are some. Others, have looked into and chosen IMG; Much of the problem is that parents don't have access to information to make the best decisions. a community event would provide this and possibly allow some kids to be identified that would otherwise not have had any chance of moving on to an "elite" team. The clubs in the area are so afraid of losing what players they have; they could possibly have even more players if they provided information to the community on just what is available to all levels of players. parents need information.
                                I left BRSC a long time ago for this same reason. Boys should be playing Academy and Girls should be playing ECNL if they are talented enough to make a team. I look back at the kids that stayed and feel bad because their parents didnt want to move them from the "local club". I have seen some kids make the move after U14 and it is way too late. These kids are way behind on the boys and girls side. Someone needs to start working to educate these players that are U10 and below and get them out of the area now. you have to look no further than the local HS Soccer teams. The level of play on both the boys and girls side is terrible. The Academy does allow Boys to play HS so you won't see many good boys HS teams but if you go to Brandon and watch Newsome HS play on the girls side you will see the difference. All of Newsome's team are ECNL players. If anyone wants to take some advice here it is. If you have a child U10 or younger, Girl take them to WFF and Boys to the Academy. They will flourish and learn to play the game the right way. Down here you will get nothing but kickball and dirty play. Some kids at U15 and older both boys AND Girls think they are out there playing rugby.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X