Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    They obviously had the right 11 starting as they went 18-2-4 and won the SCC and state titles. His problem was a roster of 30 girls on varsity. You can not have that many girls rostered on varsity without problems arising. A roster of 18-20, with only the best players playing and a lot less substitutions would have eliminated all of his problems. Hopefully the next coach has a spine and has cuts before going into the season next year
    Agree with this post. Had a daughter who played several years ago. Played a lot and had no issues for her. The team also enjoyed similar success to this years time. Problem then, and I think now, is way too many players on the roster. Leads to unhappy players who expect to play and never do. Unfortunately the JV team also had a roster of 25+. Impossible to run without distractions and drama. Credit to the group of girls who went out game after game, competed and won games. Exceptional group of athletes. As a long time Guilford Soccer supporter I would like to see this type of success continue. Would like to see success and not hear about all the behind the scenes drama.

Comment

Agree with this post. Had a daughter who played several years ago. Played a lot and had no issues for her. The team also enjoyed similar success to this years time. Problem then, and I think now, is way too many players on the roster. Leads to unhappy players who expect to play and never do. Unfortunately the JV team also had a roster of 25+. Impossible to run without distractions and drama. Credit to the group of girls who went out game after game, competed and won games. Exceptional group of athletes. As a long time Guilford Soccer supporter I would like to see this type of success continue. Would like to see success and not hear about all the behind the scenes drama.
      I agree it is better to have cuts and have all of your drama before school even starts but the reality is schools discourage cuts because the ADs don’t want to deal with the fallout

Comment

I agree it is better to have cuts and have all of your drama before school even starts but the reality is schools discourage cuts because the ADs don’t want to deal with the fallout
        a lot of it gets back to why is the school offering athletics in the first place - is it to put trophies in the case every year, or is it to offer the students (as many students as possible) an activity.

Comment

I think you can draw some parallels between Guilford boys situation. Like the boys the girls coach, SM, was there for many years. As long time coaches they had their supporters and they had detractors. Being coaches today is very different then a generation ago. Parental involvement is inevitable. The boys coach at Guilford, JM, was old school and did not play politics. He was largely unapproachable for parents. I don’t know the girls situation as well but got the sense from talking to parents that politics were much more in play. Impression was that players and parents could sway decisions. In the end both coaches were shown the door despite the fact that both officially resigned. Modern day coach has to be able to speak to parents without sacrificing vision and standards. The coach that does not play politics and chooses team on merit while also listening and responding to parents will always be more successful.
          hey d1ckw@d. stop speculating. he stepped in a few piles of sha1te. no parents chased him out

Comment

a lot of it gets back to why is the school offering athletics in the first place - is it to put trophies in the case every year, or is it to offer the students (as many students as possible) an activity.
            This is something parents just don't get. The role of sports in school is very different to the administration than it is to some parents.

Comment

This is something parents just don't get. The role of sports in school is very different to the administration than it is to some parents.
              the great watering down of PC America. If my kid wants to play trumpet in the school band and we have a very good band. And my kid never practices. Plays average trumpet in school. Takes Spring, Summer off and then tries out in Fall for the marching band and picks the trumpet up for the first time during tryouts... does she deserve to play trumpet in a really good band?

Then why in high school sports do we water it down for kids that don't come in shape, don't practice, don't care, etc? That's what it's like these days. Some parent bellows about her kid is a senior and has earned playing time when in fact the kid has done very little to prepare for season. That's the problem with high school sports

Comment

the great watering down of PC America. If my kid wants to play trumpet in the school band and we have a very good band. And my kid never practices. Plays average trumpet in school. Takes Spring, Summer off and then tries out in Fall for the marching band and picks the trumpet up for the first time during tryouts... does she deserve to play trumpet in a really good band?

Then why in high school sports do we water it down for kids that don't come in shape, don't practice, don't care, etc? That's what it's like these days. Some parent bellows about her kid is a senior and has earned playing time when in fact the kid has done very little to prepare for season. That's the problem with high school sports
                how about if a kid. wants to join the school paper. a very good school paper. and kid never practices writing. not during summer. and then goes to join paper. does she deserve to write for paper?

LMAO@U

Comment

thats what JV is for- you can have an activity for 3 years
                  Varsity is for competition- its ok if you dont want the seriousness stay on JV

Comment

how about if a kid. wants to join the school paper. a very good school paper. and kid never practices writing. not during summer. and then goes to join paper. does she deserve to write for paper?

LMAO@U
                    very different
                    if they put the bad trumpet player in the band it could make the band worse
                    if you suck at writing the editor just simply doesnt let your story in the paper- the paper is fine

Comment

LMAO@U
                      Not op, but your candy ass approach is softening up the kids

Comment

School administrators want students to be involved and engaged. Being physically active is even better. That doesn't mean everyone has a Varsity spot or everyone plays - the coach can decide that without administrative interference. HS is the time to learn PT is earned and not everyone gets a trophy. By junior year most whi never play drop out. But it also means that coaches don't have to win titles year in and year out to be considered successful by the school.

Comment

School administrators want students to be involved and engaged. Being physically active is even better. That doesn't mean everyone has a Varsity spot or everyone plays - the coach can decide that without administrative interference. HS is the time to learn PT is earned and not everyone gets a trophy. By junior year most whi never play drop out. But it also means that coaches don't have to win titles year in and year out to be considered successful by the school.
                          School administrators ought to be more active. Ours is a fatso know it all

Comment

School administrators ought to be more active. Ours is a fatso know it all
                            you generally don't want idiots in that position.

Comment

you generally don't want idiots in that position.
                              Oh yeah we got an idiot AD and principal that work in unison to make bone head decisions. Totally inept.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X