Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Both the U16 & U17 SUSC teams are also adding players, so that would make them stronger as well.
    They need to add players - its not pretty right now.

On a related note - doesn't this give validation to the idea that in NH SUSC has underestimated the draw of HS soccer? If these players will be added now that the HS season is closing out, then the program NEEDS the girls who choose to play HS and their initial premise that they would draw the girls away from HS was wrong?

I say this as a DA parent watching the program struggle and its not pretty right now. My daughter loves soccer - but she is ready to go back to HS soccer next year and her HS team is middle of the road DII program, despite playing in every DA game so far this season.

Comment

They need to add players - its not pretty right now.

On a related note - doesn't this give validation to the idea that in NH SUSC has underestimated the draw of HS soccer? If these players will be added now that the HS season is closing out, then the program NEEDS the girls who choose to play HS and their initial premise that they would draw the girls away from HS was wrong?

I say this as a DA parent watching the program struggle and its not pretty right now. My daughter loves soccer - but she is ready to go back to HS soccer next year and her HS team is middle of the road DII program, despite playing in every DA game so far this season.
      I wouldn't say they underestimated, at least not completely. They are aware it was always going to be a tougher sell to the girls who were already in HS. So, I'd say it was somewhat expected and they are looking at the longer term picture. Which to say...doesn't help individual families today.

But, there is merit that the draw isn't there as much as they planned. They are known to be not fans of HS overall and have valid reasons/data to back it up, but there is an aspect to some that value it that they hadn't, and won't, consider.

I've noticed a shift in how the scheduling was done from last year to this, and expect another shift next year. I just don't see DA relenting on the HS as it goes completely against their philosophy, but I've been wrong before and will be again.

Comment

I don't see DA changing their stance on HS either. I also realize that it's harder to convince girls already playing HS to give it up, so the true test may be down the road a little still. How are the 05s doing? Did they keep many from playing HS?

One thing that will be (or should be) on the radar is whether SUSC can truly support a GDA program. Larger programs with larger pools can deal with a large volume of girls playing HS. Plenty of depth to allow everyone to do what they want to do. If SUSC can't get the right players to give up HS, they're not going to make it. The depth just isn't there.

I know development is the name of the game, not wins and losses. But more and more strong players are going to leave if the teams aren't competitive. Either for stronger programs or to go play HS.

I also know some kids are all in for development. Don't care about wins and losses and only care about training. That's good. But are there enough of them to make being on a losing team valuable as far as training? Not sure. (Im in this situation; my D is fine with her team and their losing record. As the adult funding this venture, I am not sure her training and development is truly on the right path given her weak team).

Comment

I don't see DA changing their stance on HS either. I also realize that it's harder to convince girls already playing HS to give it up, so the true test may be down the road a little still. How are the 05s doing? Did they keep many from playing HS?

One thing that will be (or should be) on the radar is whether SUSC can truly support a GDA program. Larger programs with larger pools can deal with a large volume of girls playing HS. Plenty of depth to allow everyone to do what they want to do. If SUSC can't get the right players to give up HS, they're not going to make it. The depth just isn't there.

I know development is the name of the game, not wins and losses. But more and more strong players are going to leave if the teams aren't competitive. Either for stronger programs or to go play HS.

I also know some kids are all in for development. Don't care about wins and losses and only care about training. That's good. But are there enough of them to make being on a losing team valuable as far as training? Not sure. (Im in this situation; my D is fine with her team and their losing record. As the adult funding this venture, I am not sure her training and development is truly on the right path given her weak team).
          =====

Does development occur if you are 1-15 with 50 goals against? If training was any good wouldn't the team see success at some point?

Comment

The girls DA looks like this:

U17 0-4 with 14 goals against
            U16 0-3 with 11 goals against
            U15 3-2 with 8 goals against
            U14 1-2 with 10 goals against

I am surprised to see the 4 wins!

Comment

05's aren't having many issues with HS, yet and are doing decent. They are either freshman/8th grade. So, it would have to be a compelling case to leave for your freshman year. I know one did after last year. Sideline chatter is a few more will next year, but that chatter comes from one parent so it's not direct information. I would think their will be some, though. That's just logical. So far, the door is swinging in, not out, on that team. Again...so far...

Comment

=====

Does development occur if you are 1-15 with 50 goals against? If training was any good wouldn't the team see success at some point?
                Depends. Is it coaching? Is it style of play? Is the team missing some key components and is just generally weaker than their competition? You can have the best coach and the best league, but the players aren't good enough and you lose. If a team is playing out of the back under a high press, why? Is that smart soccer?

Here's the rub: GDA is supposed to be the highest level of club soccer. It's not, ECNL is there too as a separate path, but the point is it's supposed to be the top of the pyramid. SUSC was NPL/NEP before accepting GDA. How many players from SUSC's top teams previously would have made a roster from Stars or Scorpions or CFC? Not trolling, being very serious. A badge doesn't mean a player all of a sudden is better.

I have a tough time understanding how NH is a hotbed of soccer and can support a DA team when SUSC was an average performer in the NEP. When NEFC played one year in ECNL, they did well. Why? Because their top NPL teams were very strong, drawing from a large market around Boston/128/495 and concentrating talent from it's various regions (including RI, CT, and even NH) to Mendon. The move to DA was a lateral move after proving they had what it took to compete and years of dominating in NPL. It takes a large market to have the depth of talent to field competitive teams at the top. I'm not sure NH has that. I'm not sure SUSC has that.

The question for families is this: is it a sacrifice to give up HS soccer for my child. is the sacrifice worth it? The answer will be in how many D1 programs show interest for players in the program. I'm not trying to start a debate regarding D1, D3, or any of that, just that D1 scholarships are very competitive and that is good measure of a DA/ECNL soccer program.

One person's view of things. YMMV.

Comment

The question for families is this: is it a sacrifice to give up HS soccer for my child. is the sacrifice worth it? The answer will be in how many D1 programs show interest for players in the program. I'm not trying to start a debate regarding D1, D3, or any of that, just that D1 scholarships are very competitive and that is good measure of a DA/ECNL soccer program.

What if it's not a sacrifice?

Athletes have been giving up their HS sports for decades. This isn't anything new.

Comment

Depends. Is it coaching? Is it style of play? Is the team missing some key components and is just generally weaker than their competition? You can have the best coach and the best league, but the players aren't good enough and you lose. If a team is playing out of the back under a high press, why? Is that smart soccer?
                    I don't believe so. Somewhat. Overall, likely. To learn. Yes

Here's the rub: GDA is supposed to be the highest level of club soccer. It's not, ECNL is there too as a separate path, but the point is it's supposed to be the top of the pyramid. SUSC was NPL/NEP before accepting GDA. How many players from SUSC's top teams previously would have made a roster from Stars or Scorpions or CFC? Not trolling, being very serious. A badge doesn't mean a player all of a sudden is better.
                    Somewhat, but it isn't directly pitched that way. I give ECNL the nod overall, especially here in N'East. How many could make Stars (B team) or Scorprions or CFC? Likely 6-8 in some age groups, 3-4 in others. Why does that matter?

I have a tough time understanding how NH is a hotbed of soccer and can support a DA team when SUSC was an average performer in the NEP. When NEFC played one year in ECNL, they did well. Why? Because their top NPL teams were very strong, drawing from a large market around Boston/128/495 and concentrating talent from it's various regions (including RI, CT, and even NH) to Mendon. The move to DA was a lateral move after proving they had what it took to compete and years of dominating in NPL. It takes a large market to have the depth of talent to field competitive teams at the top. I'm not sure NH has that. I'm not sure SUSC has that.
                    Teams aren't the same as the NPL teams. SUSC doesn't draw only from NH; it's about 2/3 so (roster dependent) and draws from 93 and North. They aren't a NH team, they only play in NH. You seem more worried about game results than game play. SUSC will never dominate in GDA, they don't expect to dominate, and make no qualms to be the best GDA team in the Region.

Yes. It has nothing to do with D1 carrots being laid out there. Some just want to play with good players who they consider their close friends. Some don't. They are choosing the best available path and playing environment available to them. Kudos for putting themselves in this position and working to attain their goals they want, and not succumbing to pressures from home.

If D1 "scholarships" are the measure of a good program, than everyone is failing. There just isn't enough money out there in relation to the # of teams.

Just another person's views of things. YMMV.

Comment

The last statement is the key. There are 71 DA clubs and 52 ECNL clubs across the country. Total of 123 clubs with likely at least one team per age group. There are 338 D1 College women's soccer programs in the US. Let's say the average recruiting class is 6 for a total of 2028 spots per recruiting year. Lets assume each club above has only one team (we know that's not true) and each team is a roster of 20 (some have less, some have more) for 2460 players just in DA and ECNL. On average, each of these clubs might find a spot for 16 players if we also assume that no other players are being recruited from other leagues/teams not represented above which we know isn't true and also doesn't take into account international players (can make up 10-20% of a roster).

Add into the above that there are 14 scholarship per D1 Women's Soccer team to share amongst 20+ players if the program is fully funded, and you're right, there isn't enough money (or spots) to go around for even just the "top" teams in the "top" leagues. And yet, families continue to follow the rabbit hole of clubs soccer to where ever it may lead and the vast majority of teams at the HS age are not ECNL or DA.

Nothing wrong with D3, but you don't need to spend thousands on club to play D3, never mind the travel expenses and commitment of DA or ECNL. I know good HS players who never played club who are being recruited for D3.

Comment

Not all are in it for scholarship dollars but the hope that soccer will help land them at a better school than they might attain without soccer. Competition for better schools is insane. If being an athlete gets you in over a non athlete? That's the golden ticket. Most soccer families are upper middle class or higher. Getting some money off (athletic or merit for smart kids) plus admission to a good school is the goal.

Also in the Northeast there's a huge concentration of D3s not seen elsewhere. Since most students stick to a half day's drive radius that means there's plenty of options out there for solid NE players. Playing good club level soccer is generally needed for the better D3 programs. Just look at player bios.

Comment

Chris Scott back to seacoast?

Comment

Chris Scott back to seacoast?
                            That's the rumor. I personally will welcome him back.

Comment

Communication has got worse since he left, didn’t think that would be possible. I wonder if he’ll be falling back into his old role?

Comment

Communication has got worse since he left, didn’t think that would be possible. I wonder if he’ll be falling back into his old role?
                                Haven't experienced any communication issues.

There is an unfilled position for Girls DA Director so I would guess he will reassume that

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X