Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    "Delusional?" A little hyperbolic don't you think, btdt? Sure, your kid could make it, but you think the average, decent MAPLE player could land spots on the Stars A teams? Keep dreaming. And please, keep posting. You are provnig over and over to anyone who doubted what you are really all about. Well done.
    Absolutely. It doesn't take all that much talent to make a Stars team. Every single one of their teams has holes in their starting line ups that are filled more because of expediency than any thing else. The further you go down the benches the more pedestrian their players are. They are not alone though, all of these clubs are doing that.

Comment

Absolutely. It doesn't take all that much talent to make a Stars team. Every single one of their teams has holes in their starting line ups that are filled more because of expediency than any thing else. The further you go down the benches the more pedestrian their players are. They are not alone though, all of these clubs are doing that.
      The best way to have your kid succeed in youth soccer is to have a fat checkbook, a cougar for a wife, and blonde pony-tailed perky children. Those factors trump talent every day.

Comment

Because it's a retort that only comes out in certain situations. Is there any evidence that it is real? Where does this "trophies for all" thing really happen?
        Shoot, of course it is real. Just look at all the plastic trophies in your kids' rooms today for everything they do. Is it really necessary?

Here is a non-athletic example a friend of mine who teaches in an elementary school of about 325 students. The school puts on an annual play. There are about 20 parts including a chorus to the play and 80 kids try out. In the past the kids who didn't earn a part are invited to help with play prep, staging, ect., but the school now requires all 80 kids be given a part. Why? Because the administration is sick of having to deal with 60 parents who think their kids should get a trophy.

Comment

There is nothing at all wrong with a " trophies for all " model in specific instances. For example , evdeavors involving younger children. It can be a motivating factor because it rewards the effort put forth in the activity.Without reward, the young child may put less effort into the activity, and the consequnces may be such that they never reasch their potential. within the confines of a specific group, awards and trophies may be accepted in different ways, some children may feel honored, others may care less.

Coaches, Instructors, and organization need to recognize when and where to use them, and be aware that at certain ages , they may be no longer warranted or effective.
          Dumb post. You are teaching kids to be motivated by extrinsic rewards, when real success is determined by those with intrinsic motivation. To some degree it's is part of the child's character, but it is in varying degrees and still can be encouraged in others. What any of them learn in the process will take them far in all they do.

Comment

Shoot, of course it is real. Just look at all the plastic trophies in your kids' rooms today for everything they do. Is it really necessary?

Here is a non-athletic example a friend of mine who teaches in an elementary school of about 325 students. The school puts on an annual play. There are about 20 parts including a chorus to the play and 80 kids try out. In the past the kids who didn't earn a part are invited to help with play prep, staging, ect., but the school now requires all 80 kids be given a part. Why? Because the administration is sick of having to deal with 60 parents who think their kids should get a trophy.
            LMAO again. So you got a problem if a school lets an elementary school student be a tree or something in a play, with the big, best parts going to the most talented? Read your post over a few times to see how absurd you are. Should we just take the non-stars in elementary school out back and shoot them? Wow. Not enough selectivity for you in elementary school. Wow.

Comment

this has to be the same guy bombarding the opportunity post thread. Hopefully this will get relegated to the politics section as well.

Comment

LMAO again. So you got a problem if a school lets an elementary school student be a tree or something in a play, with the big, best parts going to the most talented? Read your post over a few times to see how absurd you are. Should we just take the non-stars in elementary school out back and shoot them? Wow. Not enough selectivity for you in elementary school. Wow.
                No, the teachers, who are volunteering their after school time, have a logistical problem with fitting 80 kids into a play that is written for 20 because the parents of 60 can't handle their kids not being front and center on the stage. Perhaps the best thing is to not have the play at all. At least for one of the three teachers, that will be the direction taken - find another volunteer.

Comment

Thomas Lindsay, PhD (University of Chicago) and current Director of the Center for Higher Education, Texas Public Policy Foundation recently wrote an opinion piece about how grade inflation has exploded over the last fifty years prefacing his point by noting students study less than they once did.

“Worse, grades during this period have, paradoxically, increased. Approximately 43 percent of all college grades today are A’s, an increase of 28 percentage points since 1960.”

Could this be the result of a philosophy of education that emphasizes self-esteem over discipline and achievement? I think it is and I think it is the results of the "trophy for all" mentality that pervades our culture.

Comment

The usual exaggerations of the liberal mind responsible for the "trophies for all" mentality. If I read the original post correctly those that were given positions in the cast were given other "jobs" to help produce the play - not taken out back and shot. (eyeroll)

Comment

E9sN4E

Thomas Lindsay, PhD (University of Chicago) and current Director of the Center for Higher Education, Texas Public Policy Foundation recently wrote an opinion piece about how grade inflation has exploded over the last fifty years prefacing his point by noting students study less than they once did.

“Worse, grades during this period have, paradoxically, increased. Approximately 43 percent of all college grades today are A’s, an increase of 28 percentage points since 1960.”

Could this be the result of a philosophy of education that emphasizes self-esteem over discipline and achievement? I think it is and I think it is the results of the "trophy for all" mentality that pervades our culture.
                      I want to call you an idiot but I'll be polite and resist. Putting up a fancy quoe out of context does nothing. Try getting your kid into an elite school. Then you'll discover how NON-trophies-for-all a society we have. And, btw, self-esteem is now a bad thing? Or only less than 1% should have self-esteem while we plant the seeds for the other 99% to become enraged, fringe characters who stormtroop elementary schools with guns?

Comment

The usual exaggerations of the liberal mind responsible for the "trophies for all" mentality. If I read the original post correctly those that were given positions in the cast were given other "jobs" to help produce the play - not taken out back and shot. (eyeroll)
                        Eyeroll right back. The example talks about elementary school. KIDS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE PARTICIPATING!!! THAT'S WHY THEY GO TO SCHOOL!!!!

Comment

I want to call you an idiot but I'll be polite and resist. Putting up a fancy quoe out of context does nothing. Try getting your kid into an elite school. Then you'll discover how NON-trophies-for-all a society we have. And, btw, self-esteem is now a bad thing? Or only less than 1% should have self-esteem while we plant the seeds for the other 99% to become enraged, fringe characters who stormtroop elementary schools with guns?
                          Well, I'll be impolite and call you an idiot. Typical misguided liberal response.

Comment

Well, I'll be impolite and call you an idiot. Typical misguided liberal response.
                            You're gonna be late for your NRA meeting.

I do have a new appreciation for the ills of the country, though. Giving kids a ribbon after a U10 jamboree-type event is at the root of all problems. And letting 2nd graders participate in the 2nd grade play.

Comment

You're gonna be late for your NRA meeting.

I do have a new appreciation for the ills of the country, though. Giving kids a ribbon after a U10 jamboree-type event is at the root of all problems. And letting 2nd graders participate in the 2nd grade play.
                              Actually we weren't speaking of 2nd graders. At this particular school we are speaking of grades 4 - 8 at this particular school. I suppose they could eliminate the numbers issue by eliminating the lower grades, which was a suggestion I made, but my friend tells me they would be eliminating some talented kids in the process. Last's year's lead role was held by a 4th grader.

Comment

Don't you come through and make my point for me! How many kids go off the deep end because they didn't get into Harvard or whatever high end school they applied? Lots! Because they never learned how to handle disappointment when younger.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X