Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Maybe I do. Post disagreed with Twellman's assertion that Pulisic was the best. So, I'm asking if not him...who?
    No. Post disagreed with the erroneous assertion that Twellman made about him NOT being the best.

Comment

Agree - we need promotion/relegation in MLS NOW. The best players need to be sent to Europe early (16,17, 18) to play in the top leagues- deals need to be made to make this happen.

Disagree- Pulisic is not the "greatest player this country has ever produced"- give me a break! I like Twellman but he has a tendency to get carried away with hyberbole and nonsense sometimes. Pulisic will be fine. Makes $8M a year and plays in one of the best leagues in the world.
      Except they can't got Europe until they turn 18 without another passport

Comment

No. Post disagreed with the erroneous assertion that Twellman made about him NOT being the best.
        OK then. The way it was reading, it appeared that the disagreement was with his assertion otherwise (having not watched the video, that's my fault)

Comment

Agree - we need promotion/relegation in MLS NOW. The best players need to be sent to Europe early (16,17, 18) to play in the top leagues- deals need to be made to make this happen.

Disagree- Pulisic is not the "greatest player this country has ever produced"- give me a break! I like Twellman but he has a tendency to get carried away with hyberbole and nonsense sometimes. Pulisic will be fine. Makes $8M a year and plays in one of the best leagues in the world.
          Errr the top leagues are not prohibited from signing such players now. Never have been. Point is we produce very few.

Comment

Billy Gonsalves and Claudio Reyna.

Would add Brad Friedel, but goalies don't count.

Comment

Billy Gonsalves and Claudio Reyna.

Would add Brad Friedel, but goalies don't count.
              Reyna is an excellent choice. Not familiar with Gonsalves so will defer.

Comment

that can be negotiated with the EU. Where there's a will...

Comment

Billy Gonsalves.

http://www.phillysoccerpage.net/2014...erican-soccer/

US had great leagues and was competitive with top soccer countries early World Cups. Gap between us and other countries has grown consistently since. Click and read the oral history on the Gonsalves wikipedia page, and you'll realize US players way back when played in competitive local leagues all winter, worshipped the local stars, and spent hours in free play mimicking their favorite players.

Gonsalves offered contract from Botafogo after World Cup, which he turned down. Pretty sure it was another 80 years until a US trained player played for this storied Brazilian side.

Comment

that can be negotiated with the EU. Where there's a will...
                    No it can't be negotiated for the European major soccer leagues. If you are under 18, Either they need so many full national team caps, have a Euro passport or have a parent with a work permit. All those are tough hurdles.

Comment

Europe is trying to get rid of relagation and you are clamoring for it. Get a clue. Owners wont ever go for it even if it means better development.

Comment

You apparently have a problem with his statement. So, if you don't feel he is, then come up with someone.

Otherwise, what's the point of your comment?
                        Dempsey is the best American ever. Donovan is next.

Pulisic is the next big thing but unfortunately the US blew his chance at the big stage for at least 5 years. If i were him i would be so pissed. He now will have to make a big move to a bigger team to get the "best" title. Dempsey made it to Tottenham (did not do much but he made it). Pulisic needs at least that level to overtake Dempsey.

Comment

Most top players have dual citizenship with serious soccer countries, whether central or South American or European. It's why they are good.

Comment

Most top players have dual citizenship with serious soccer countries, whether central or South American or European. It's why they are good.
                            Think about this statement for a minute. It seems unless a parent was from a serious soccer country, there is little likelihood of a kid becoming a "top" player. This quip is an indictment of US soccer system and culture.

Comment

Think about this statement for a minute. It seems unless a parent was from a serious soccer country, there is little likelihood of a kid becoming a "top" player. This quip is an indictment of US soccer system and culture.
                              To become a top player you need to live and breathe the game. Social, health or college considerations don't come into it. Another way is to have 2 US parents and to live overseas for a significant time at a young age to absorb the culture.

Comment

CP is a prime example. His European ties were a little looser (grandfather I believe) but his parents were very high level players and his dad coached. They sought opportunities for him and clearly the family does live and breath soccer. One of my kids' teams has some immigrant and first gen players - they live and breath it, even if they aren't always the most talented. American born white kids? Not so much. Culture is a big part of the equation. If kids aren't that into it and their friends and family all watch the Big 3 US sports then they're less likely to become passionate about soccer, maybe even play a different sport instead. Even when they stick with soccer there are fewer opportunities for free play with neighborhood kids like there is elsewhere in the world. A skilled player wanting to improve has to seek out other opportunities to train and play (club only isn't enough, not even in DA), in addition to putting in the time on his own in the backyard etc.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X