Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The point before was people choosing football for their baby because the pro money is higher.
    No, the point is that the parents are choosing Football, or basketball because it's relatively free and the chances of their kid getting a scholarship or even coming close to playing professional is 10x higher.

The kids see the higher salary ranges/contracts and popularity with players in other sports. Ask the average kid that doesn't play soccer to name 2 soccer stars in the MLS or even the National Team for that matter. Now ask that same kid and every other kid in the US to name 2 NBA or 2 NFL stars. Which sports do you think will get the most answers?

Comment

No, the point is that the parents are choosing Football, or basketball because it's relatively free and the chances of their kid getting a scholarship or even coming close to playing professional is 10x higher.

The kids see the higher salary ranges/contracts and popularity with players in other sports. Ask the average kid that doesn't play soccer to name 2 soccer stars in the MLS or even the National Team for that matter. Now ask that same kid and every other kid in the US to name 2 NBA or 2 NFL stars. Which sports do you think will get the most answers?
      ^^^^ this. It isn't just about the likelihood of getting a college scholarship or a pro path, it's as much if not more so driven by popularity and kids wanting to play what's popular and what their friends are doing. Add to it the insanity of pushing kids to focus on one sport at earlier and earlier ages. When forced to chose the big sports will win most often. They also aren't watching MLS or UEFA matches. They're watching football and basketball with their friends and families. Their dads played football, bball or baseball, not soccer.
      Culture matters. We don't have one save a few pockets here and there.

Comment

We are talking American kids. How many Neymars are coming out of the DA? and how many MLS players have contracts like that?

We are talking Soccer in the US, everyone knows how it is with the rest of the world, but in order to get AMERICAN kids interested, it needs to compete with the other big sports that kids can play for free.
        I like the way this is worded. That kids can play other big sports for free. But they aren't really free just less than travel soccer!

Comment

^^^^ this. It isn't just about the likelihood of getting a college scholarship or a pro path, it's as much if not more so driven by popularity and kids wanting to play what's popular and what their friends are doing. Add to it the insanity of pushing kids to focus on one sport at earlier and earlier ages. When forced to chose the big sports will win most often. They also aren't watching MLS or UEFA matches. They're watching football and basketball with their friends and families. Their dads played football, bball or baseball, not soccer.
          Culture matters. We don't have one save a few pockets here and there.
          I think just as many kids are playing soccer. What are the statistics?

Comment

I like the way this is worded. That kids can play other big sports for free. But they aren't really free just less than travel soccer!
            That's true, but an average of $100 for those other sports is a far cry from $2500 to $5,000 for travel/DA Soccer in the US!

Comment

That's true, but an average of $100 for those other sports is a far cry from $2500 to $5,000 for travel/DA Soccer in the US!
              Maybe in football but in baseball, basketball, volleyball, lacrosse ..there is also expensive club training and tournaments .

Comment

Sure they are. That's part of the problem with youth sports and travel soccer generally. In the past a kid was a successful athlete if he or she played thought out high school, learned some important life lessons, and had a good time. Now AT LEAST half the parents I talk to - in many sports not just soccer - talk about college scholarships and chances at a professional career. Those wishes, while not bad in and of themselves, have resulted in huge dissatisfaction with anything less. That translates into two things: parents blindly paying money to improve their kids' chances, and parents blindly blaming everything on the on the coaches, leagues, etc. when their dreams don't come true. The reality is that most kids don't have the size, speed, or skills to play sports professionally. The other reality is that the system of youth and professional soccer in this country is in no way geared toward developing the best talent - it geared toward making money for those who run the clubs and leagues.
                Sorry but i am a parent and I do not choose sports for my kids - they pick their sport - and second if i did choose their sports for them it would not be based on a future professional career. they have to play what they enjoy. it's not about money. to me it is much more about getting them out of the house and away from the video games, socializing and in shape. if something else develops, great, but that cannot be the goal.

as for the world cup, at least w/ my kids, the fact the US is out will not lessen their interest. there are many compelling teams and stories and we will be watching it all. it is the greatest sporting event in the world, with or without the united states.

Comment

We are talking American kids. How many Neymars are coming out of the DA? and how many MLS players have contracts like that?

We are talking Soccer in the US, everyone knows how it is with the rest of the world, but in order to get AMERICAN kids interested, it needs to compete with the other big sports that kids can play for free.
                  in south florida, socal, texas, parts of the mid-atlantic, soccer is first for many many kids.

US needs to understand that its strength as a soccer nation is in the first generation immigrant kids that die for the sport.

you are never going to convince kids (or very unlikely) in areas where HS football or baseball has been in the family for generations.

if i were us soccer i would focus on where i am strong (first gen immigrants) and stop trying to win over the friday night lights crowd.

Comment

Maybe in football but in baseball, basketball, volleyball, lacrosse ..there is also expensive club training and tournaments .
                    Baseball - Maybe, but they can still play in school and have a good chance for exposure to college recruiters.

Basketball is mostly through school with some AAU, which cost and average of $100.

Football also is mostly through school with some outside leagues, which cost and average of $100 (unless you do IMG of course).

Volleyball and Lacrosse I heard were expensive and it seems they have the same issue that soccer does in the US. How many kids are chomping at the bit to become professional Lacrosse or volleyball players?

Comment

in south florida, socal, texas, parts of the mid-atlantic, soccer is first for many many kids.

US needs to understand that its strength as a soccer nation is in the first generation immigrant kids that die for the sport.

you are never going to convince kids (or very unlikely) in areas where HS football or baseball has been in the family for generations.

if i were us soccer i would focus on where i am strong (first gen immigrants) and stop trying to win over the friday night lights crowd.
                      That would be a good focal point for US Soccer. But then it boils down to how many parents of 1st generation immigrants have the means to pay over $2,000 for their kid to play soccer? Goes back to it being to expensive with the pay to play system that currently engulfs the sport.

Comment

Baseball - Maybe, but they can still play in school and have a good chance for exposure to college recruiters.

Basketball is mostly through school with some AAU, which cost and average of $100.

Football also is mostly through school with some outside leagues, which cost and average of $100 (unless you do IMG of course).

Volleyball and Lacrosse I heard were expensive and it seems they have the same issue that soccer does in the US. How many kids are chomping at the bit to become professional Lacrosse or volleyball players?
                        There are baseball and basketball tournaments at Wide World of Sports every other weekend. These cost $$$$$$.

Comment

That would be a good focal point for US Soccer. But then it boils down to how many parents of 1st generation immigrants have the means to pay over $2,000 for their kid to play soccer? Goes back to it being to expensive with the pay to play system that currently engulfs the sport.
                          if $$ is the problem, do what colombia does. futsal until 11 or 12. then soccer. futsal costs close to zero. once you get to levels like DA at 13 or 14, ussf should be funding alot more. Agree.

Comment

There are baseball and basketball tournaments at Wide World of Sports every other weekend. These cost $$$$$$.
                            Wait, so are you comparing a tournament in which the AAU team foots most of the bill to $1,500+ registration fee. Then still have to come out of pocket for tournaments, hotels, food, gas, coaches fees for this trips (which is basically a paid vacation for them), and equipment/gear?

No matter which way you slice it, it is way more $$$ for Youth Soccer. Even if your child plays AAU, it's at the most $100. Ok, so then you have to fork up another $100 for a tournament...now you're at $200 total for your kid to play at a high level. Still not comparing at all to Youth Soccer.

Comment

Wait, so are you comparing a tournament in which the AAU team foots most of the bill to $1,500+ registration fee. Then still have to come out of pocket for tournaments, hotels, food, gas, coaches fees for this trips (which is basically a paid vacation for them), and equipment/gear?

No matter which way you slice it, it is way more $$$ for Youth Soccer. Even if your child plays AAU, it's at the most $100. Ok, so then you have to fork up another $100 for a tournament...now you're at $200 total for your kid to play at a high level. Still not comparing at all to Youth Soccer.
                              Throw in the hotel, gas and food while your at it.

Comment

Sorry y'all but little by little this IS becoming a soccer nation. Maybe Billie Bob in Georgia doesn't realize it, but Atlanta's MLS team has one of the highest attendance in the league. Also, sorry to inform you, but anglos will be a minority shortly. And the majority of the country will consider soccer their favorite sport. There's a lot of talk about the best athletes not taking up soccer thus our failure in the global stage. It doesn't take just an athlete, it takes an athlete being able to make split second decisions all the time. In other words, 11 Quarterbacks. Not all athletes have that IQ. It's ok though, it takes time. There is one NBA, one NFL, and whatever hockey league (Notice I didn't mention Baseball, which is dying...who has the time?) But there is the MLS (low paying for now), but look at all the other countries in Europe and South America which pay very well and better than any US sport if you're special...Messi and such... anyway the country is changing and if you don't realize it, it's ok... your kids will probably be playing soccer after you're gone. Or your grandkids.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X