Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Can a kid play on a college team and also a USL team?
    No, not right now, I don't think so.

Comment

Usl is forming a lower division starting up I believe next year. It will be 3rd division and be in small towns that don't have existing teams.

Comment

Parents are Ok for their kids to skip college for baseball or hockey or in some cases basketball. I don't see the DA system likely producing more quality players than what came out before a decade or so ago. Now they are looking to duplicate this with the girls. It is not like we didn't produce some top players in the past. The DA is just consolidation of what existed before but too much is still left open for local clubs to implement.
        Because the financial rewards in those sports is far greater, especially if you make it big and land endorsement deals. MLS? Fhugetaboutit. And if pro basketball, baseball or football only lasts a few years you should have banked enough $ to afford to go back to school. I had two former NBA players at my grad school. They were fine players, played about 4-5 years each but not big stars. Going back to school wasn't any issue for them. Try that on a MLS rookie salary of what $65,000?

Comment

NASL is not in the business of developing players. I don't see them taking on too many u18s from local DAs.

USL could be and it's an interesting place to start. not sure how much say USSF has in what USL franchises might do. Many USL teams seem to prefer older internationals, taking a cue from the MLS.
          Relegation would make USL a viable option

Comment

Relegation would make USL a viable option
            http://www.uslsoccer.com/news_articl...league-in-2019

Comment

I have been waiting for this epic failure. Our demise is multi-faceted. Coaches and Scouts that want to win now and not develop for the future. What is our country's identity? Are we going to be technical team, or big and fast team, or creative team, or disciplined team?

Also way too may foreigners in our domestic leagues and college. My son played D1 soccer and there were so many foreigners that had no business being on the squad. If they were any good they would not be here but they get the benefit of the doubt.

I went to a Rowdies game and half the team is foreign. We even have a keeper from Japan. We are not talking MLS here but a level two league on our pyramid. Are you telling me there are no good home grown keepers right here in Florida and Tampa Bay that can play keeper for the Rowdies?

Comment

Can someone explain to me the business model behind these leagues or colleges bringing in foreign kids to their teams? College is easy , they pay full tuition , no?

Comment

I have been waiting for this epic failure. Our demise is multi-faceted. Coaches and Scouts that want to win now and not develop for the future. What is our country's identity? Are we going to be technical team, or big and fast team, or creative team, or disciplined team?

Also way too may foreigners in our domestic leagues and college. My son played D1 soccer and there were so many foreigners that had no business being on the squad. If they were any good they would not be here but they get the benefit of the doubt.

I went to a Rowdies game and half the team is foreign. We even have a keeper from Japan. We are not talking MLS here but a level two league on our pyramid. Are you telling me there are no good home grown keepers right here in Florida and Tampa Bay that can play keeper for the Rowdies?

100% agree if US wants to get better at soccer the College and lower leagues teams need to have more American players

Comment

they do it is called USL and NASL.
                    I don't see many 16-18 year old players in NASL games as you do in Jr Hockey. Not sure does the USL have many players this age?

In hockey they have different levels, Major Jr. Hockey the players are considered pros and have not intention of going to college. Next level they are considered armatures. Of course everything is paid for and provided for them and all compete on equal footing. A system like this for the true elite players would be better than the DA at least for the 16-18 ages

Comment

100% agree if US wants to get better at soccer the College and lower leagues teams need to have more American players
                      Simple.American players are not at foreign player's level.

Comment

As long as we continue with this pay to play system, we will never be successful. Everywhere in the world is almost free to play.
                        Again... and I am very tired of repeatedly asking this question, other than professional soccer teams and parents who else in this country is going to pay the money necessary for our children to receive the training necessary to become successful soccer players? As far as I know, youth soccer is only free for players on MLS Development Academy teams.

Comment

As long as we continue with this pay to play system, we will never be successful. Everywhere in the world is almost free to play.
                          I love you. Please be the next USSF President come election.

Comment

I love you. Please be the next USSF President come election.
                            Riddle me this, how good has our last 2 cycles of u17's? knock out stage and lost. BTW very difficult not to make it to the knock out stages. Last u23 cycles didn't even qualify. THose kids were all full DA players. Stop making excuses. THe entire system is broken. It used to be everyone had to play each other. That's how you figured out who was the best. you then went to ODP and hopefully made it through the political BS. If you did you had a chance to shine. Now teams and clubs can hide behind leagues. This happens because clubs are afraid they won't be allowed to charge as much $$$$. Get over your self DA parents. Get over yourself but hurt parents who didn't make the DA. Stop fighting and arguing and come up with solutions on how to make it better. Yes the DA takes the biggest and the strongest. Yes there are players that slip through the cracks. Yes there are club teams that can beat DA teams. Get over it. Work together and let's make soccer in THE USA DOMINATE

Comment

Good lord, copy and paste guy is back at it.

Comment

Again... and I am very tired of repeatedly asking this question, other than professional soccer teams and parents who else in this country is going to pay the money necessary for our children to receive the training necessary to become successful soccer players? As far as I know, youth soccer is only free for players on MLS Development Academy teams.
                                I was getting ready to type the same thing. Someone has to pay for coaches and facilities. It is expensive and time consuming to get licensed and building a soccer field with lights isn’t cheap either. Maybe someone can explain how it is done everywhere else because I don’t know. I assume it is all funded by the insane amount of professional clubs in Europe for example. But someone is still paying.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X