F your A License

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I once had a soccer coach, in all seriousness, tell me all that was needed to be a youth soccer coach was a European accent. He was actually one of my kids better coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I once had a soccer coach, in all seriousness, tell me all that was needed to be a youth soccer coach was a European accent. He was actually one of my kids better coaches.
      Soccer mom's dig the accent. Cheers!

Comment

Which is why clubs should make it more feasible for them to attain - help at least some with cost and time. If a club can charge each player $200 more for a higher level coach the payback is pretty quick. Clubs are very shortsighted in this regard, but most of them are soccer guys not MBAs
        That's a big "if". Most parents wouldn't pay it. Not directly, but they would hear the fees and would be less likely to sign up with that club. Over the long run, it's hard to charge fees for things the other clubs do not...you would lose customers. The reality is that if parents were willing to pay more for better trained coaches, then the clubs would make sure that better trained coaches were on their staff. Things are the way they are because it's the sweet spot, economically speaking.

Comment

It should be a process. There should be some commitment in order to achieve the higher level certification. It takes some time, hopefully, to learn and comprehend what is required to be a high level coach.

It should not be a financial hardship for motivated coaches to educate themselves.

I can agree with this. Have a guy at our club, great guy, great to awesome skills coach. Teaches, coaches HS and club. Loves the game. Doubt he would be able to make the time and financial commitment to get an A or B license.

I don't know how to work it but an extra $25 per player with club of 10,000 members would seem to work in getting these guys into continuing their soccer licenses.

Comment

I can agree with this. Have a guy at our club, great guy, great to awesome skills coach. Teaches, coaches HS and club. Loves the game. Doubt he would be able to make the time and financial commitment to get an A or B license.

I don't know how to work it but an extra $25 per player with club of 10,000 members would seem to work in getting these guys into continuing their soccer licenses.
            Yes. Something like that could work.

Or...the better higher educated coaches could command higher fees. That seems simple enough. You're an A coach...fees are up. Your a D coach...fees are less.

Comment

Yes. Something like that could work.

Or...the better higher educated coaches could command higher fees. That seems simple enough. You're an A coach...fees are up. Your a D coach...fees are less.
              Isn't getting there the issue? If time and money are the obstacle, the club can conceivably take the money hurdle out of the equation. Once the license is attained, the club can be reimbursed with the higher coach fee as you say. This can be done contractually to prevent coaches from jumping ships once they get the better training.

Comment

That's a big "if". Most parents wouldn't pay it. Not directly, but they would hear the fees and would be less likely to sign up with that club. Over the long run, it's hard to charge fees for things the other clubs do not...you would lose customers. The reality is that if parents were willing to pay more for better trained coaches, then the clubs would make sure that better trained coaches were on their staff. Things are the way they are because it's the sweet spot, economically speaking.
                But it's easy to hide the extra $200. Clubs do it all the time. It's very difficult to comparison shop as each club structures their fees slightly differently - maybe one covers uniforms, another does not. One has one more tournament etc. Survey 5 clubs and no one will have the exact same price. $200 per player won't even bat an eyelash for the typical middle to upper income soccer family. $2000, yes, $200 no. And actually some knowledgable parents will pay a slight premium if they think the coaching is better.

Comment

But it's easy to hide the extra $200. Clubs do it all the time. It's very difficult to comparison shop as each club structures their fees slightly differently - maybe one covers uniforms, another does not. One has one more tournament etc. Survey 5 clubs and no one will have the exact same price. $200 per player won't even bat an eyelash for the typical middle to upper income soccer family. $2000, yes, $200 no. And actually some knowledgable parents will pay a slight premium if they think the coaching is better.
                  Doubt we will see change in us soccer pricing and structure. USC/NSCAA is looking better and better. $600 per weekend class at some locations is much better than $4,000.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X